• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National War Memorial & Tomb of The Unknown Soldier

Dr Mike said:
But i did hear unofficially they may have students to act as interpreters of the meaning of the Cenotaph..[/img]

Just so long as it's not the same bunch that work at Rideau Hall...some of the stuff they say is just total blasphemy. While working a sentry shift there, I've heard them say things like: "The GG is Canada's representative to the U.N." and "She takes over if the Queen dies."

/rant.

Short of a 24-hour military presence, a cordon would probably be the best option.

Maybe some sort of electrified cordon....

Well that picture just pissed me off.

Last year I told a fella to get off the tomb...the question of " Why?" escaped his yick.

After explaining it to him, along with some motivational verbs mixed in, he promptly got off it and left walking briskly.

Get a platoon of troops (with support staff) on Class B there year round.... period.

I'm sure that it can be done, seeing as we can have a slew of 200+ troops lolly gagging around in Wainwright doing OPFOR year round.

Hell, make it a PAT Plt tasking. Remember hearing about troops waiting 3+ months for courses.

But of course, in a couple months time when the cold weather hits, this will all be forgotten until next year when spring arrives and the arguments fly.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Well that picture just pissed me off.

Last year I told a fella to get off the tomb...the question of " Why?" escaped his yick.

After explaining it to him, along with some motivational verbs mixed in, he promptly got off it and left walking briskly.

Get a platoon of troops (with support staff) on Class B there year round.... period.

I'm sure that it can be done, seeing as we can have a slew of 200+ troops lolly gagging around in Wainwright doing OPFOR year round.

Hell, make it a PAT Plt tasking. Remember hearing about troops waiting 3+ months for courses.

But of course, in a couple months time when the cold weather hits, this will all be forgotten until next year when spring arrives and the arguments fly.

Regards

Agreed.
However I don't think a wide eyed 17 yr old pat platoon Pte with his cornflake would be someone to send down there. ;)
Maybe even some legion guys who could volunteer to act as interrupters for the site during the summer.

p.s You still sound bitter over wainwrong."I received a lot of valuable realistic training that me and my crew were proud to be a part of sir!"

6 weeks of useless training...

But yeah as you said,give this another month and it will be old news until the weather starts shaping up again in 09.

Am I crazy to think if the opportunity came about to stand sentry for 6 months in the dead of winter or go on tour .... that I'd take the sentry posting?  :)

It has been officially announced that students have been hired as interpreters for the summer. I visited the Cenotaph yesterday and theyw ere doing a great job. They have a program for younger kids , a kind of I spy, and for adults a full explanation of the Cenotaph, hiistory etc. They are enthused and really an asset.It was also interesting to watch the peole to whom they are speaking. And i was rather taken aback when a couple came over and thanked me for persisting in trying to get respect shown for the Cenotaph. That is more than the Government has done.
    i was not looking for anything but it is manners, but that has changed I guess. I was talking to an uncle, helied about his age. ia sked if he was at D-day.."Oh yeah" he said casually,,that is the  type of person who I hung in for.
    Ao all I would like to see added is a small cordon, to remind people that it is not something to be climbed on, I am not talking about people placing flowers ora  poppie butpeole lounging on the Tomb.

I think any sort of presence would do it: a continuous guard, a private security officer, a Commissionaire, a Parks Canada employee, an interpreter -- it doesn't matter much as long as there's someone there to explain what it's all about and why skateboarding or relieving one's self on it isn't appropriate.

I'd hate to see a fence, though; I think it's important that people be able to get close to monuments like that.  A fence will have an unfortunate effect well beyond just keeping knuckle-draggers off of it.

NEIL  A FENCE IS NOT WHAT i AM SUGGESTING, i THINK A  1 1/2 FOOT HIGH ( .5 METRES FOR PURISTS :) ) CORDON, ABOUT 1 FOOT OR LESS FROM THE tOMB... tHIS WOULD ALLOW POEPL TO TOUGH THE TOMB, PLACE FLOWERS, POPPIES ETC...BUT IT WOULD SUGGEST THAT IT IS NOT A BENCH.
i TIRED TO GET PEOPLE TO GO BUY TO HAND OUT PAMPHLETS WHEN THEY SEE PEOPLE SITTING ON IT BUT WITH LITTLE LUCK. I HAD HOPED SOME IN THE LEGION WOULD HAVE VOLUNTEERED...aND NOW THAT i HAVE A BROEK LEG FROM THE HIT AND RUN 6 JUNE, i AM OUT OF THAT LOOP.
  BUT THE GUEARD OF HONOUR AND THE INTERPRETERS ARE A STEP FORWARD....I HOPE THEY PUBLICIZE THIS A BIT AS THE PISSER PHOTO  GOT A LOT OF PLAY INTERNATIONALLY.

Back