• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National War Memorial & Tomb of The Unknown Soldier

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
I am starting a new topic, despite the fact that there are others about Maj (Ret’d) Pilon’s outrage over e.g. a youngster urinating on the National War Memorial because I have a question rather than a firm opinion.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act, is an interesting piece from today’s National Post:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=528391
A matter of national respect
Former military officer battles to get Canada's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier treated with appropriate dignity

Kelly Egan, Canwest News Service

Published: Wednesday, May 21, 2008

OTTAWA -The Americans have a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. Elite sentinels from the 3rd U. S. Infantry -- after a rigorous training period -- stand guard 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, weather be damned.

Canada has a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, on the site of the National War Memorial, in the heart of the capital. No one stands guard, 24/7, in any season.

But people stand, all right -- on the tomb. Or sit, or lie down, or lounge with feet dangling off the side, or position their children around it for photographs.

Dr. Michael Pilon has seen just about enough. And he has seen a lot. He is the retired army major who photographed a drunk urinating on the National War Memorial on Canada Day weekend. The country looked, the country seethed, the police got involved.

Last weekend, Dr. Pilon was cycling near the memorial when he saw a man lying on the tomb.

He was propped up on an elbow, with feet hanging off the edge of the sarcophagus, a three-tiered affair that is four metres long.

Dr. Pilon, a dentist, approached the man and asked him if he knew he was lounging on the remains of a Canadian soldier. The visitor didn't know, nor did he seem fazed.

"It's being treated like a little bench," Dr. Pilon said. "People think it's attractive to put their kids around it."

Indeed, over the course of 10 minutes, he saw several examples of inappropriate behaviour around the tomb, which was installed in May, 2000.

It is easy to understand how this is happening. First of all, signage near the tomb is terrible. Terrible signage, in fact, is an Ottawa-wide affliction.

More than signage, though, is the grander matter of demarcation. It isn't difficult to imagine how a foreign tourist, with only a smattering of English or French, might think the tomb is a bench of some kind.

And let's face it. Some people are just daft. The point is, what are we doing to ensure the sleepy-headed tourist, or local, doesn't mistakenly put his derriere on the grave of a soldier who embodies a nation's collected heroism?

The answer is, not enough. The words "The Unknown Soldier" appear only on the south side, etched in the granite. On three sides, in the flat surrounding stone, there is a caution: "Please treat this grave of an Unknown Soldier with respect."

But again, the warning is subtle, easy to miss.

Nor is there any interpretation of the symbolism involved.

The unknown soldier, for instance, was relocated from a cemetery near Vimy Ridge, the First World War battle that is a milestone in Canadian military history. Atop the tomb, in bronze, there is a First World War helmet, a medieval sword, branches of maple and laurel leaves --all Vimy echoes.

The sarcophagus itself is patterned after the stone altar at the Vimy memorial.

The soldier's remains lay in state in the Hall of Honour for three days before being taken by horse-drawn gun carriage to the memorial. The GG was there, as was the PM. It was, in other words, a big deal.

On the site, this history is only to be guessed at. Even the war memorial itself--one of Ottawa's most storied places -- only has a well-hidden plaque to explain its significance.

Dr. Pilon can't understand why the tomb is not tastefully cordoned off. He is not calling for a full-time sentry, just a barrier that signals this is a hallowed site, with a deeply human connection.

"Two years ago, on Canada Day, there were empty beer bottles on it. I mean, there were actually two guys pouring beer on it. They thought, in a weird way, they were showing respect."

Since the Canada Day incident in 2006, Dr. Pilon has been waging an unofficial campaign to ensure our national military shrines are treated with respect.

He is making some headway. Last year, after several federal departments put their heads together, they agreed to post an honour guard at the War Memorial for much of the summer, during daytime hours. The plan is to be repeated this year, beginning in late June.

Veterans Affairs is one of the key departments involved. It has experimented with signs raised on a pedestal, reminding visitors of the tomb's presence.

"We have been experimenting with raised signage and we're grappling with that balance of how to respect the solemnity of the site and inform people, at the same time," said spokesman Janice Summerby.

"We're not at the solution yet but we're always looking at ways to improve the site's integrity."

The authorities have consciously left the tomb touchable so that, on Remembrance Day for instance, it is coated in dozens of poppies and flowers.

"There isn't a hard and fast definition of what comprises appropriate behaviour. But [use] common sense. This tomb is a grave. The remains of a First World War soldier, who sacrificed his life, are there."

She added that commissionaires do patrol the site around the clock, surveillance cameras are in use and private security firms are sometimes employed.

All well and good. But not quite there -- people are still sitting on a grave.

I’m familiar with a few equivalent sites:

1. The American one, at Arlington National Cemetery that is, indeed, carefully guarded;

2. The Australian one, housed within their National War Memorial that is rather like a war museum;

3. The British one, in Westminster Abby;

4. The French one, in Paris, at the Arc de Triomphe which is, in many respects, closest to ours; and

5. The “original,” the Danish one, in the town of Fredericia.

Now, my question is: what is the proper way to ‘display’ the unknown soldier?

Each of the five models above use a different method.

In Fredericia, for example, there are ceremonial guards at the gate of the fortress who also “guard” the statue/tomb which is right beside the gate. I don’t know if they are regular or reserve or if yhey are there 24/7 or just on nice days.

My impression is that Canada’s cenotaph (like Singapore’s) and tomb are the most accessible of all that I have seen. Even Hong Kong’s small cenotaph [see picture, below] is more “controlled” by a low chain that is removed only, I think, on a very few national memorial dates. That seems to be sufficient for them.

Maybe we want our cenotaph and tomb to be fully open so that people can get close and reflect, maybe, on the other hand, the “centre” of the complex – the memorial, proper, and the tomb ought to be “controlled” by a small, low fence, and, as I believe is the case in Hong Kong stiff penalties for anyone (local or tourist, young or old) who trespasses.

My memory, which could be very faulty, is that the tomb in Paris is also controlled only by a low fence and that sentries are only present on special occasions.

We now have daytime (nice days only?) scarlet clad sentries there during the summer – I’m not 100% convinced that’s what we’re after. It seems to me that if the tomb needs or is “entitled” to a sentry in July it ought to “need” one on a cold January night, too. Do it right, in other words, or don’t do it at all.

I’m interested in members’ opinions. 

There's a thread on this topic here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/63686.0.html

Personally, I agree, more needs to be done to stop inappropriate behavior on or around the monument. Aside from the two sentries posted during the summer months (rain or shine last year) the only thing holding people back from lying on/around the tomb was a message carved into the marble blocks (and very difficult to read) saying something to the effect of "Please treat this tomb of an unknown soldier with respect." More should be done - but as to what, that's above my pay grade.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Warsaw is also guarded 24/7 by soldiers.  It is in central Warsaw on the grounds of the old Saxon palace and is thus accessible to the populace but also protected.  I was very impressed with what I saw when visiting there last year.

For what it is worth, I was not comfortable with the moving of our own unknown soldier from his resting place amongst his comrades in France after so many years and placing him in downtown Ottawa.

T2B

Tango2Bravo said:
The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Warsaw is also guarded 24/7 by soldiers.  It is in central Warsaw on the grounds of the old Saxon palace and is thus accessible to the populace but also protected.  I was very impressed with what I saw when visiting there last year.

For what it is worth, I was not comfortable with the moving of our own unknown soldier from his resting place amongst his comrades in France after so many years and placing him in downtown Ottawa.

T2B

I had mixed emotions about the move but now that he is here (I'm about 99.99% sure about the "he") I think we should actually consider how he is displayed, guarded, honoured and so on.

I also think this is a matter that ought to concern Army.ca members - that place, that tomb and all they represent are closer to us than to most Canadians. The dead were our friends, members of our regimental families - even for those of us who do not have a close, personal tie to those "with no known grave."

E.R. Campbell said:
I had mixed emotions about the move but now that he is here (I'm about 99.99% sure about the "he") I think we should actually consider how he is displayed, guarded, honoured and so on.

I also think this is a matter that ought to concern Army.ca members - that place, that tomb and all they represent are closer to us than to most Canadians. The dead were our friends, members of our regimental families - even for those of us who do not have a close, personal tie to those "with no known grave."

Absolutely.  I suppose that nothing can be done about the location, your post merely brought up a sentiment that I have had for some eight years now.  Turning to practical courses of action, even a simple chain barrier as suggested above would probably help.  I would love to see a full 24/7 guard, but I am not sure if we could sustain that.  I suppose that public education like the articles above can also help.

String that simple chain barrier between several waist-high obelisks upon which the names of those still posted as Missing (and thus "Known Unto God" ) are inscribed ????

Shec said:
String that simple chain barrier between several waist-high obelisks upon which the names of those still posted as Missing (and thus "Known Unto God" ) are inscribed ????

A chain barrier around the Tomb would be a simple first step to controlling the offensive behavior of those who do not currently treat it with due respect.  However, to inscribe the names of all those with no known grave would require considerably more surface than could be provided by obelisks as you describe.  It took the surface area of the Vimy Memorial (for those who fell in France), part of the Menin Gate (Belgium), and the Beaumont Hamel Memorial (Newfoundlanders) to inscribe the names of those "missing" on land just from WW1.

E.R. Campbell said:
. . . what is the proper way to ‘display’ the unknown soldier?

I'll expand your question just a bit and ask what should be the aim (or aims) of any proposed enhancements at the Tomb?

Solely for additional security (behaviour control)?
To honour or celebrate our fallen?
To educate or entertain the public?

Now that we have a National Military cemetary in the Ottawa area (Beechwood cemetary) shouldn't the Unknown soldier be moved to where he rightfuly belongs... amongst his comrades in arms?

http://www.dnd.ca/hr/nmc-cmn/engraph/home_e.asp

Should have a small moat around it, like 2-3 feet wide and 1 foot deep and a simple chain fence surrounding it with 3-4 tiers of chains. Nothing people avoid more than getting wet and looking like a goober.

That or pigeons with lasers strapped to them, genetically engineered to attack people dessecrating the tomb.

TR... not pigeons.... Hornets!... Buzzing Hornets...

Kelly Egan’s National War Memorial/Tomb of the Unknown Soldier article drew a fairly heavy response in the Ottawa Citizen’s letter to the editor page. Here they are, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Citizen:

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/letters/index.html

Guards at shrine would show our national respect

The Ottawa Citizen

Published: Thursday, May 22, 2008

Re: Time to stand on guard for war shrines, May 21

The National War Memorial has always been somewhat overshadowed by the surrounding buildings and not shown the respect it deserves as an important piece of our military history and our history as a people. It is a reminder of the sacrifice made by all during times of war, be it the soldiers on the war front or their mothers and fathers, wives, children and families abroad.

It really wasn't until I joined the Governor General's Foot Guards several years ago for a stint that I realized what this symbol represents, and how important a place it holds in our heritage. Every morning, on our way up to Parliament Hill via Elgin street, an eyes-left command was called as we marched past the War memorial, a small but heartfelt tribute to the ones who marched before us through the muddy roads and battlefields abroad.

And since then, every Remembrance Day has me at that national cenotaph with my wife and, this year, my newborn daughter to take part in my own way in the commemoration ceremonies there.

If you haven't stood at the foot of the beautiful stone works on a rainy Remembrance Day, the gun blasts and flypast thundering through every fibre of your body, or watched the ceremonies on TV as the cameras pan over the faces of the aging veterans standing at attention or sitting in the stands, tears masked by the typical downpours of the day, then, at first glance, one could mistakenly dismiss the whole site as just another artistic display for all to admire.

This is why I would wholeheartedly encourage any measures taken to protect and underscore the significance of this hallowed ground, as long as they don't impede our ability to access the site. The posting of a sentry is by far the most appropriate and respectful means of doing this.

What better way of showing one's appreciation for human sacrifice and military service than to have members of our Canadian Forces stand to and guard the area? It is being done symbolically at the Governor General's residence in the summer months. Why not extend these War Memorial duties from late winter to late fall, the area's busiest season and times when the integrity of the site is most at risk? Surely this can be done.

Signage would further clutter the site. Ropes and barricades would be obtrusive, keeping the respectful visitor from accessing the site and placing flowers or touching the tomb in a gesture of solemn thanks and farewell, as is seen at funerals occasionally.

Marc-André Filion,
Gatineau

Leave site alone

The Ottawa Citizen

Often I go to the National War Memorial site and lean over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and contemplate about who the person is inside. I've imagined him to be one of my forefathers who died somewhere in Europe. I think of all the other people who died for the freedoms and rights we have today.

I show no disrespect when I touch the tomb. I feel completely the opposite: I feel very close to this unknown but yet very well known person.

I believe that we should leave the site as it is now. It is only a small problem with the unfortunate few visitors who do not know that it is a tomb. After all, was it not placed there to be seen open to all and to be touched with respect? And when I say everyone I mean just that, everyone -- open to all the people.

My vote is leave the site alone.

Michael Trepanier,
Gatineau

Able to touch it

The Ottawa Citizen

A Remembrance Day poppy is pinned to the back of the sun visor in my car. It is not enough, for me, to remember once a year what was sacrificed and the debt I can never repay. I think of it each time I see that poppy. My grandchildren ask what it is and I explain and hopefully pass on to them what they owe.

The National War Memorial is understated, that is true, a Canadian characteristic, and one I like. It is also vulnerable to being defiled. But anything to prevent this would be to distance it from the public's ability to touch and be close to it.

However, a ceremonial guard who stands 24 hours a day, seven days a week, come rain or shine, who reminds all present of the meaning of the place, that would be right in every way.

Michael R. Harris,
Ottawa

Lend some guards

The Ottawa Citizen

Perhaps Gov.-Gen. Michaëlle Jean could spare a soldier or two from the Governor General's Foot Guards, to watch over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at least during the tourist season. A couple of the foot guards could fall out on their way from the Cartier Square Drill Hall to Parliament Hill.

I'd be willing to bet the members of the Foot Guards would much rather be keeping watch over Canada's honoured dead, than marching to-and-fro in front of empty Parliament buildings during the summer recess.

Reg A.S. McDonald,
Toronto

Drape a chain

The Ottawa Citizen

For sure, there are two times a year when we must "stand on guard" at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier -- during the week of Remembrance Day and on Canada Day.

We do not need a full-time sentry but we do need to have this hallowed site tastefully cordoned off. I suggest draping a chain from four posts and on special occasions this chain can be removed to allow the tomb to be coated in dozens of poppies and flowers while an honour guard looks on. For the rest of the year, the chain would be in place.A plaque in front of the tomb, giving its history, is indeed in order.

Bev Krogan-Donnelly,
Ottawa

Move to Beechwood

The Ottawa Citizen

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier does not have the same visibility as the National War Memorial. The sheer vertical size of the latter tends to overshadow the tomb and the distinctive recognition it deserves. With the pedestrian traffic in the area, including the many tourists, the suggestion of some type of respectful cordon may address the visibility issue. Alternatively, perhaps the tomb should be relocated to the military section of Beechwood Cemetery.

There, in a place of individual prominence, the Unknown Soldier can rest with other fallen soldiers and receive the respect that is currently unattainable in its present location.

Dale Boire,
Ottawa

I’m guessing this is a fair and accurate representation of the range of opinions and that the number of letters published indicates that The Citizen received a lot of them.

I really like the Move to Beechwood idea. It's good that people see the unknown soldier and pay due respect, but placing it in the graveyard will give more scope and depth to what was really sacrificed.

If one of the goals of the effort put into the repatriation of The Unknown Soldier is education, then that goal is hardly met with a move to Beechwood cemetery. Simply put it is not a destination and there will be very few casual (in the same sense as casual labour, not the opposite of formal) encounters with the tomb.

My personal opinion is that he should stay where he is now (I think he's been moved enough with his removal from the fields in France). Erecting a fence may aid to keep people back and should be a first step (No idea what a good second step will be  :-\)

Well I hate to say it, but my opinion is the same as NFLD Sapper's.

I like the full time guard Idea, it shows a bit more respect for our fallen then a chain.

Just my 2 cents

Where would an order to change this come from? Heritage Canada? The CDS himself? Who has the authority to post sentries 24/7?

A pair of guards on duty 24/7/365... we're talking a lot of people... probably reservists...
Figure that it would take 3 shifts of +/- 4 troops for each day.... should keep something between 20 to 30 people busy year round.....

Hey Mac, got a spare platoon to spare?

If one of the goals of the effort put into the repatriation of The Unknown Soldier is education, then that goal is hardly met with a move to Beechwood cemetery. Simply put it is not a destination and there will be very few casual (in the same sense as casual labour, not the opposite of formal) encounters with the tomb.

The unknown soldier can do his duty and serve his country just as easily from Beachwood cemetary as our neighbour's does - from his place of honour in Arlington VA...

(We could do a lot to dress up Beachwood)

geo said:
A pair of guards on duty 24/7/365... we're talking a lot of people... probably reservists...
Figure that it would take 3 shifts of +/- 4 troops for each day.... should keep something between 20 to 30 people busy year round.....

Hey Mac, got a spare platoon to spare?

(We could do a lot to dress up Beachwood)

It takes four or five pairs of sentries, plus two NCOs to post sentries, for a 9 to 5 day at the War Memorial with CG. I figure for a 24/7, 365 job, it'd be at least a platoon, not factoring in support staff.

I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat.

As I said..... a platoon... if not the equivalent of an Engineer troop..... 45 souls - support staff incl.

Not too costly in the big picture of things BUT, wouldn't this strip away from troops doing other "military" kinda things....

I don't want people to get the idea that all I do is take pictures at the Cenotaph...The one's two years ago sparked an international embarrassment. i received e-mail from a fellow dentist in the Netherlands. he asked if I had taken the picture as it was shown in the Dutch papers and on TV. He said "How can they allow this, in the netherlands Canadian War Cemeteries are sacred."   I would have thought that this incident would have triggered a fast and strong response from the Government. from July of 2006 to the following summer i lobbied various Ministries to try to get three things done
1) A Police and / or Military presence  
2) A small tasteful cordon to remind people that the Tomb is not a bench, after all the vaunted Ottawa Tulips have small barriers to keep people off. People should be allowed to place flowers, poppies, touch the tomb with respect. But lounging on the tomb or allowing kids to frolic on it ..are not quite my idea of respect
3) Have an information booth in the summer to tell people what the cenotaph and Tomb represent.

I was at the Cenotaph today and school kids were being told about it...a nice touch../

last summer a scant 10 days before Canada Day the Ministry of Public Works called to tell me that they had hired security, Pinkertons. i replied "Ah like a sued car lot, you get a proper Military or police presence or last year will seem like a love in" Two days before Canada Day the Governor general's Foot Guard were tasked with mounting a Guard of Honour. And a great job they did...the Troops were proud to be there, it became a tourist attraction and was a success.

But I have seen kids skate boarding on the Peace monument, and apparently they do this at the Cenotaph.
But i did hear unofficially they may have students to act as interpreters of the meaning of the Cenotaph..[/img]

Back