• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

National crisis: fentanyl & other super-opiate overdoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
ModlrMike said:
I'm stealing that for use at work. Might even make a good t-shirt.

I second that...should be a stamp as well for COD on the Death Certificate.

MM

Jarnhamar said:
Drug users who overdose should be forced to pay for the Narcan.

They haven't for the last 30 years EMS has been giving it.

Attachments

• narcan1.jpg
    narcan1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 243
  • narcan.jpg
    narcan.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 223
British Columbia

The fentanyl crisis in B.C. is not slowing down and paramedics say they are not receiving enough resources from the province to fight overdoses properly.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2016/12/13/bc-paramedics-call-for-more-resources-to-fight-overdoses.html
B.C. Emergency Health Services says it has already added 10 ambulances and 54 paramedics since January

More cars, more cars, more cars,....

I bet Darwin would have a different suggestion to the problem.

MCG said:
I bet Darwin would have a different suggestion to the problem.

Without wanting to sound too much like an ass I was thinking the same. It seems like a self-correcting problem of sorts to me

I didn't usually mind the ODs, because most were skinny.

It was these people who challenged me more.  :)

Attachments

• Fat.jpg
    Fat.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 353
Users overdose minutes after cashing assistance cheques: Surrey paramedic
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/users-overdose-minutes-cashing-assistance-012743771.html

We used to call it, "Welfare Weekend". 

I'm glad you guys said it first, as I didn't want to sound as cold hearted as I usually do.

Seems like a self correcting problem...

Turns out my friend's younger brother is one of the OD deaths, nice guy but doing drugs and OD.

OD in a CVS Pharmacy in Detroit. Watch his friend panic and try to give medical care, a Pharmacist with no Narcan, an EMS crew who has seen this a million times and great commentary from the person filming it who knows exactly what is going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMZyFggnoA

Nice touch at the end by the patient, who was an inch away from death, to remember to raise his arms in victory for cheating the reaper today. EMS will see him at his next OD.

Attachments

• od.jpg
    od.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 321
Job security,

People are now smoking a combination of meth and crystallized bug spray.
http://wjhl.com/2017/12/26/wasp-dangerous-new-drug-mixture-causes-psychotic-episode-for-lawrence-county-man/

Like, who hasn't?

Or, they just do the Fentanyl and get it over with already.

Meth now seems to be the drug of choice in Winnipeg. Yes, let's go back to opiates. Much easier to deal with.

ModlrMike said:
Meth now seems to be the drug of choice in Winnipeg. Yes, let's go back to opiates. Much easier to deal with.

Yeah - can't cause as much trouble when sleeping...

MM

I always tell the nurses that the sweet spot for overdose treatment is "sleeping AND breathing".

True that...had one that went old school last week - ate 20 T3's and some gabbies...sawed logs all night, but needed a narcan drip to keep the rate up.

MM

Hi guys,

I hope someone here can correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking, as this topic is absolutely outside of my lanes & educated knowledge base.

As many of you know, I work as a civilian investigator for the Alberta Solicitor General's Office, the branch that oversee's many agencies of provincial law enforcement.  (Corrections, Alberta Sheriff's, Provincial Peace Officers, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, Conservation Enforcement, etc)

Recently it was brought to my attention that a Correctional Peace Officer, whose near-death is being kept quiet due to the circumstances, overdosed on opiates.

My initial impression and opinion (arrogant in hindsight, I fully admit) - was "Ugh, another druggie...great" and all of the opinions that come with that line of thinking.  People who can't make a decision to stay clean, f**k up their lives, and we as a society feel a need to come to their rescue.  Great.

Yet as we looked into his past, it turns out he wasn't a druggie at all.  He was a hard working, nice, clean cut guy who had been with us for several years.  After sustaining a serious & painful knee injury, his doctor had prescribed him opiate-based medication to help with the pain.  This officer used the medication between surgeries, and continued to work without any red flags.

Several months later, the officer realized that when he tried to stop taking them and ween himself off, he couldn't.  He went to his MD, who immediately took him off of the opiates as he had 'become addicted', and started to prescribe him something else instead to help him ween his addiction.  Long story short, this was the beginning of a very quick spiral downwards, in which the officer eventually began using small doses of Meth to fulfill his addition to the opiates.  He was embarrassed and ashamed of this, and kept it successfully hidden from his co-workers for several months.

Recently, and the reason we became aware of the situation, was there was a work related incident, which unfortunately unravelled quite a lot going on with this young man.  My initial attitude was completely wrong, and as I dug deeper & deeper to build the file, I realized this wasn't the kind of person I thought he was, and my attitude is now a total 180' than what it was when I first started looking into this.  (Looking at him now compared to how he looked when he started with us, is almost like looking at 2 different people)

*I don't really know why I'm writing this, other than it seems relevant to the discussion.  And I don't know what my final point is, other than I guess I've recently been enlightened to the idea that not all of these druggies are druggies by choice - something I was arrogantly dismissive of in the past.

The problem with opiates are many, and not easily discussed in isolation. Drugs like hydromorphone are incredibly effective, but are also quite addictive. But we know this going in - notwithstanding what the initial sales pitches said. Used as directed, for a short period of time, they're safe. However people use them in unsafe ways despite what we tell them. They take too many, too often in the mistaken belief that they're innocuous drugs, or that we're just trying to scare them.

One of the other issues surrounds pain control in general. We call them pain killers, when they are more properly pain relievers. We should never obliterate pain, particularly with opiates. You run the risk of incurring up regulation of the pain receptors, leading to narcotic hyperalgia, or in other words it takes a smaller insult to cause more pain. This leads to greater use of opiates, and the never ending cycle of addiction. In addition, the public has a perception that you need to be pain free. I go to great lengths to try and dispel this myth every day. Feeling pain is normal and healthy. It is actually more difficult to become accredited to prescribed opiates if one accepts that feeling some degree of pain is reasonable.

That's just a little insight int acute pain. Opiate use in chronic pain is a much harder beast to tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back