• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Roadwheels are too big and not spaced correctly to be T-54/54 series derived. M113-derived is a distinct possibility, but it could just be using close copies of M113-series tracks and roadwheels, heck even the newer versions of the Chinese YW 531H and Iranian Boragh use M113 suspension components.

alept said:
3rd one is a BMP-3

alept,
Thanks for the good guesses to the challenges posed at reply #24, but we moved past (and identified?) those over 2.5 years (and over 3800 posts) ago.  The current challenge is this vehicle.

The way this thread is played - we attempt to identify one vehicle at a time and do not move on (usually) until it is identified  -  the next challenge is posted by the individual who correctly identifies the previous vehicle or sometimes that person (if he does not have anything available to post) will relinquish the turn to the whomever who can post something first  -  if nothing has been posted for a while (. . . days . . . weeks?), it is acceptable for someone to post something to restart the thread.

. . .  M113-derived is a distinct possibility, . . . the newer versions of the Chinese YW 531H and Iranian Boragh use M113 suspension components.
NO to all.   Not Chinese or Iranian.

Good Day:Sorry I don't have any pic's to post. It's :piper: a free for all after this. The APC is from Brazil, it's called the Charrua APC

toglmonster said:
. . . The APC is from Brazil, it's called the Charrua APC

You got it.

A little more info.
http://www.janes.com/articles/Janes-Armour-and-Artillery/Moto-Pecas-Charrua-Armoured-Personnel-Carrier-Brazil.html
Moto Pecas Charrua Armoured Personnel Carrier (Brazil),

Development The Charrua armoured personnel carrier is the basic member of a complete family of tracked vehicles that has been developed by Moto Pecas Transmissoes SA as a private venture. This company has had considerable experience in the overhaul and modernisation of tracked armoured vehicles for the Brazilian Army. These include the modernisation and `dieselisation' of some 586 M113 series APCs, modernisation of the 105 mm M108 self-propelled howitzer and conversion of Sherman tanks into armoured recovery vehicles complete with A-frame and front-mounted dozer/stabilising blade. Prior to the development of the Charrua APC, the company developed the Charrua XMP-1 APC, but this did not enter production and is no longer marketed. Details of this APC were given in Jane's Armour and Artillery 1987-88 page 259.

Description The hull of the Charrua is of all-welded steel armour construction which provides the crew with protection from small arms fire and shell splinters. If required, add-on armour can be fitted for increased battlefield survivability; this would provide protection against penetration from 20 mm attack. The driver is seated at the front of the vehicle on the left side with the machine gunner to his immediate rear. The driver has a single piece hatch cover that opens to the left and three periscopes for forward observation, one of which can be replaced by a passive night vision device. The gunner has a 12.7 mm M2 machine gun which is provided with side and rear armour protection, elevation and traverse are manual. The gunner's cupola is fitted with five periscopes. The engine compartment is to the right of the driver and separated from the crew compartment by a bulkhead. The air inlet and outlet louvres are in the top of the hull, as is the exhaust pipe. Access panels are provided in the glacis plate for routine servicing. There are two engine choices, a 394 hp diesel or a 470 hp diesel, this being coupled to a fully automatic transmission with five forward and one reverse gears. The troop compartment is at the rear of the hull with the nine troops seated back-to-back down the centre of the vehicle, four on the left and five on the right. The troops enter and leave via a power-operated ramp in the hull rear. This is also provided with two doors opening outwards, each of which has a vision block and a firing port. Over the top of the

The complete article appears in the following publication:
Publication Title Jane's Armour and Artillery
Publication date Dec 11, 1995

While only prototypes of "the basic member of a complete family of tracked vehicles" were built, the rest of the family planning included these shown below.

Looks like an Alecto. either the assault gun (95mm) or recce version (6pdr).

Decended from the Tetrach British airborne light tanks used in Normandy, but actually a variant of the more advanced Harry Hopkins tank which was never used operationally.

And i think they made a dozer version of the Alecto as well

It is the Alecto, it was never used or even advanced past the experimental stage.

Had another day of AFV ID for my gunners course today, all my course mates look at me like a freak when I tell them that its one of my hobbies and I'm able to name almost everything.
I just thank my "Canadian Army friends" and go back in showing the differences between a BMD-1 and a BMP-1.
So, thank you all for helping me out and hopefully you can keep teaching me.

I always find it so childish when I hear someone spout off and say they don't need to know AFV ID because if it's shooting at them, it must be the enemy. Great, what if you want to shoot at it first?

Shrek1985 said:
I always find it so childish when I hear someone spout off and say they don't need to know AFV ID because if it's shooting at them, it must be the enemy. Great, what if you want to shoot at it first?
Excellent point!! Another point....when we face another threat from a nation state (look east) we will be up against a conventional army, with AFV and aircraft. AFV identification is CRITICAL in order to avoid blue on blue casualties. Just my opinion.

OldSolduer said:
Excellent point!! Another point....when we face another threat from a nation state (look east) we will be up against a conventional army, with AFV and aircraft. AFV identification is CRITICAL in order to avoid blue on blue casualties. Just my opinion.

Even more important these days, as the line between "Friend" and "Foe" in AFV Recognition has greatly changed since 'the Wall' came down.  Now, we find many of our new allies use Warsaw Pact equipment.  One now has to be even more proficient in AFV Recognition and differentiate between different variants of equipment.  Is that a Afghan Mi-8 or and Iranian Mi-17?

George Wallace said:
Even more important these days, as the line between "Friend" and "Foe" in AFV Recognition has greatly changed since 'the Wall' came down.  Now, we find many of our new allies use Warsaw Pact equipment.  One now has to be even more proficient in AFV Recognition and differentiate between different variants of equipment.  Is that a Afghan Mi-8 or and Iranian Mi-17?

Oh but George...aren't bears and dragons just big friendly creatures who wouldn't dream of doing us harm?

OK I'v gone off on a tangent....again.... :D

To move on:
6436643131363761.jpg

Regards,
ironduke57

If the sprocket and the Exhaust were in the rear, that would be a BRM-3K - but everthing on this is backwards.

Back