• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Hmmm.... maybe we should be getting back on topic?
I believe Iron Duke is still up with his mini meets ATV.........

yeah that would be cool. this one was fun but a real vehicle might be easier.  ;D

PS my answer was Port-O-Jet / USA

Yeah, told you it would be easy.  It's the modern version of the Velomilitaire.  Made by Condor. The previous mark is below. 

Sap,

Is it a WWII Japanese Type 3 Chi-Nu with a 75mm gun?

The Type 3 was built specifically for the Japanese Army to counter the American M4.  It was fielded in October of 1944 and issued to units on the home islands.  Due to the surrender prior to invasion the Type 3 never saw combat.

Another good reason the allies were fortunate that an invasion of the home islands was never required.

Dan.

exspy said:
Sap,

Is it a WWII Japanese Type 3 Chi-Nu with a 75mm gun?

The Type 3 was built specifically for the Japanese Army to counter the American M4.  It was fielded in October of 1944 and issued to units on the home islands.  Due to the surrender prior to invasion the Type 3 never saw combat.

Another good reason the allies were fortunate that an invasion of the home islands was never required.

Dan.

Correct there expspy.

The Type 3 Chi-Nu was yet another improvement over the Type 97 Chi-Ha in a line of medium tanks started by the Type 1 Chi-He. The Type 3 retained the same hull and suspension of the Type 97 but in a large new turret the Type 3 mounted one Type 3 75 mm gun, one of the largest guns ever to be fitted on a Japanese vehicle during the Second World War. The Type 3 was designed to combat the American M4 Sherman, a tank which was far superior to any tank of the Imperial Japanese Army.

The main gun of Chi-Nu was the Type 3 75 mm Tank Gun with caliber of 75 mm, barrel length of 2.883 m (L38.4). The gun could be elevated between -10 and +25 degrees. It had a muzzle velocity of 680 meters per second and an armour penetration of 90 millimeters at a range of 100 meters and 65 millimeters at a range of 1,000 meters. The Type 3 gun was based on the Japanese Type 90 field gun which itself was based on the French 1919 75 mm Schneider Mountain gun.

Type 3 Medium Tank Chi-Nu was developed to cope with the M4 Sherman[citation needed]. It was originally intended that the tank to follow the Type 1 Chi-He was the Type 4 Medium Tank Chi-To. However, there were delays in the development of Chi-To, and as a result a stopgap tank was required. The development of Chi-Nu started in May 1944 and it was finished in October, just six months. The Chi-Nu was the last tank that was fielded by the Japanese armed forces, and was produced until the end of the war.

The Type 3 was allocated to the Japanese home islands to defend against an Allied Invasion that never materialised and therefore, never saw combat. According to recent Japanese sources approximately 200 were built

Specifications
Weight 18.2
Length 5.64
Width 2.41
Height 2.68
Crew 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armor 8-50
Primary armament 75 mm Type 3 gun
Secondary armament 1 x 7.7 mm Type 97 MG (hull)
Engine Mitsubishi Type 100
V-12 diesel
240 hp (179 kW)
Suspension Bell crank
Operational range 210
Speed 39

Thanks Sap.

Well I find myself in the unfortunate position of not having another vehicle photograph to post for everyone.  I will therefore leave the floor open to those more knowledgeable than myself who are waiting to do so.

Will a member please step up and keep this thread going?

Dan.

Russian T43

http://www.morozov.com.ua/eng/body/tanks/t-43.php?menu=history5.php
The tank was developed in order to enhance the operational capabilities, protection and ease of production in comparison with the T-34 tank building on the developments elaborated when designing the T-34M in 1941. A prototype vehicle was manufactured and subjected to trials. The T-43 was never accepted for service.

Photo below - T34 on left and T43 on right

Correct its a T-43.

Specifications
Weight 34 tonnes
Length 8.10 m
Width 3.00 m
Height 2.58 m
Crew 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armor 16–90 mm
Primary armament 76.2mm F-34 tank gun
Secondary armament 2 × 7.62mm DT Machine Guns
Engine V-2-34 diesel
500 hp (373 kW)
Power/weight 15 hp/tonne
Suspension torsion-bar
Operational range 300 km
Speed 50 km/h

NEXT.....

Back