• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

scooter-cannon.jpg

I swear this is not photoshopped ;D

TAP – the Troupes Aeról Portées Mle 56 (Aerial Troop Carrier model of 1956).

http://modern-war.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_bazooka_vespa_in_combat

The Italian made Vespa motor scooter took Europe by storm in the early 1950s and was subsequently made under license in many countries. In France the Vespa model 150 was assembled by ACMA and sold commercially. They offered the simple and economical machine to the French Army for testing in hope of a contract. The offer was accepted and nearly 2000 of the Vespa scooters were accepted from 1956-59 in three different models. One was a basic scooter to be used for general purposes, one was to carry a 81mm mortar and its rounds, and the third carried a six-foot-long US made M-20 75mm recoilless rifle. Each of the models used the same basic frame, 11hp air-cooled 250cc two-stroke gas/oil mix engine, three-speed transmission, 8-inch wheels, and could travel at speeds up to 60mph (100kph) for 200 kilometers before having to refuel.

In operation five parachutes would drop two scooters, a recoilless rifle, 16 twenty pound rounds of ammunition and two paratroopers. On the ground they paratroopers would load the rifle on one scooter with six rounds, the other ten rounds on the second scooter and cruise away into combat like a well armed tourist in a post-apocalypse Rome. The Vespa’s M20 recoilless rifle had a range of 6900 meters and penetrate the armor of a Soviet T34, the most common tank of the day. These military scooters were used with French Parachute units in the Suez campaign, Indochina (after the end of direct fighting but before the eventual French withdrawal in 1957), combat in Algeria (until 1962) and cold war service with NATO facing down the potential Soviet threat to Western Europe. The Vespa was phased out by the mid 1970s and replaced by larger vehicles.

OK, here goes:

v.jpg

Won't be on until tomorrow to check likely (off to the indoor rifle range shortly)

NS

HUMMM. The suspension of the AU Sentinel is different so it can´t be based on it.

Regards,
ironduke57

edit: AH! There is it. An M3A5 based BARV from AU. Only one produced.

Larry Strong said:
Well the chassis is Pz I and the turret Pz III. Now to fiqure out the rest......
Yes and yes. And something else is interesting on this one.

davidhmd said:
The tank on the back say flamethrower maybe...

No flamethrower.

As I have no official designation (and I am not sure if there was one) for it just say what else make´s it special.

Regards,
ironduke57

Larry Strong said:
If I am not mistaken it was a tank trainer that ran off of Gazogene.

Right. Your turn.

And now I am off. It´s three in the night here.

Regards,
ironduke57

OK took a while to find something

Here you go who's and what is it? The what part should be easy, the who is a little trickier as I want the current owner,,,,the clue is there :)

Haven't a CLUE as to the what, but the who currently owns (ed) it, I'd guess it's a Canadian Unit in the First Canadian Division in Italy ("54").  So, perhaps 11th Canadian Armoured Regiment (The Ontario Regiment) ?

Back