• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

The link in Larry's post came up verboten on the system here. 

Hats off to Larry.

Blackadder1916 said:
Argentine made tank - "Nahuel" DL 43

It's in this thread somewhere, maybe a hundred thirty-five or so pages back.  I think I was the one who posted it (or maybe it was on another forum).

Next page actually

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48893/post-789464/topicseen.html#msg789464

ME

Chief Stoker said:
Somewhere in Cuba or Grenada?

No, not Cuba or Grenada.  And that photo was taken more than 40 years before the obvious Cuba/Grenada connection.

Larry Strong said:
I looked every where else with palm tree's 'cept the Caribbean.

Not the Caribbean.  The military using those vehicles did have (still has) territory in the Caribbean, but this vehicle was never used there, nor in its home country.

Well thanks for the help.....not to many countries still have holdings in the carib..and the helmets help..so

Dutch Overvalwagen

http://www.overvalwagen.com/

That was a tough one

Larry Strong said:
Well thanks for the help.....not to many countries still have holdings in the carib..and the helmets help..so

Dutch Overvalwagen

http://www.overvalwagen.com/

That was a tough one

Maybe I should have used one of the photos with Japanese soldiers in the vehicle, that would have been confusing.

Your turn.

I am hard pressed for time over the next couple days....so if someone has a suitable piccie feel free to post.  :salute:

Tango18A said:
"which" VK3001?

OK, you get it (close enough, anyway).  VK 3001 (P).

In 1937, along with Henschel, Porsche was given the task of build the medium tank that would replace Panzerkampfwagen IV. Its design was supposed to be capable of being armed with 75mm L/24 or even if possible 105mm L/28 gun and one 7.92mm MG34 for local defence. VK3001(P) was Porsche's first design since 1927's Grosstraktor I and its drawings were finished by September 5th of 1939 by Porsche's Chief Engineer Karl Rabe.

Prototypes were supposed to be fitted with turrets manufactured by Krupp. Porsche considered arming the vehicle with 105mm KwK L/47, 105mm KwK L/52 gun and finally with 88mm KwK 36 L/56 gun (developed from 88mm Flak 36 gun). Six turrets armed with 88mm guns were ordered in April of 1941, but none were produced. Leopard's turret was similar in appearance to that used on Tiger(P) and Tiger. Porsche planned to power VK3001(P) with gasoline-electric power/drive system (two air-cooled Porsche Typ 100 engines by Steyr and electric transmission). Only one or two turretless prototypes were completed by Nibelungenwerke in St.Valentin, Austria in late (October) 1941, out of 3 hulls originally ordered. Although many problems were encountered with its advanced power and drive system, prototype(s) performed well. During tests prototype(s) reached maximum speed of 60km/h but its fuel consumption was 170 liters per 100 kilometers. In order to solve the engine problems, Porsche designed diesel engine (Porsche Typ 200) but it was never produced.

VK3001(P) program was abandoned and two prototypes were used extensively in the development of VK4501(P) - Porsche's Tiger, which started in July of 1941. In order to transport VK3001(P) tank, Porsche designed special tank transporter (Panzertransporter Porsche 142), but this project was also abandoned. Tests continued until May of 1942, but VK3001(P) never went into production just like VK3001(H) and VK3601(H).

Back