• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name that pin (From: Remembrance Day => Veterans Day?)

blackberet17

Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
@E.R. Campbell:

I'm intrigued by your lapel pin. Is that a bird in the centre? An hour's search of lapel pins online has allowed me to find a lot of really ugly bird pins. What does yours represent?

blackberet17 said:
@E.R. Campbell:

I'm intrigued by your lapel pin. Is that a bird in the centre? An hour's search of lapel pins online has allowed me to find a lot of really ugly bird pins. What does yours represent?

Anyone (beyond those who PM'd me) want to guess before I tell him? Sailors, anyone, Bueller ..?

E.R. Campbell said:
Anyone (beyond those who PM'd me) want to guess before I tell him? Sailors, anyone, Bueller ..?

Thanks for the hint! I'll keep looking :)

Well I've noticed that the pin is quite similar to the North American Air Defence Modernization pin.

Well it's neither NAADM,                              nor the Association Old Crows,                      with both of which I have had some association, but the latter is closer ...

nwslogo3.jpg

Old%20Crows_309*280.jpg

But with ER mentioning the Navy, I would like to take a shot at HMCS Oriole Lapel Pin?

Nope, not Oriole, but there is a Navy connection ... and see above, about another bird.

HMCS-oriole.jpg

Something to do with Maritime Air perhaps?  I have seen that badge, I am sure of it, at the Officers mess at CFC...

You, MARS have seen that badge because you've climbed those steps and been in those rooms - and may be again, very soon.

I suspect a relationship here: http://images.vector-images.com/216/electronic_warfare_centre_badge_n11236.gif

I found that as well, and was trying to do a little deeper research into it. Just not coming up with much.

MCG said:
I suspect a relationship here: http://images.vector-images.com/216/electronic_warfare_centre_badge_n11236.gif

No, that's post my time in.

NFLD Sapper said:
Ah the CROW'S NEST!

A very fine establishment...

Got it!

Yes the pin says: "Crow's Nest Officers Club" around the top and "St John's, Nfld" on the bottom ribbon.

They give them out (used to, anyway) to members.

It's a great place, and it, along with many other wonderful places and things, makes St John's worth a visit, and a return trip.

And unless you know where to look a very out of the way place..... mind you its the only "pub" in which you will find an authentic U-boat periscope and in working order too I might say...... And shame on MARS for not knowing what that pin was...... :whistle: ;D

E.R. Campbell said:
Got it!

Yes the pin says: "Crow's Nest Officers Club" around the top and "St John's, Nfld" on the bottom ribbon.

They give them out (used to, anyway) to members.

It's a great place, and it, along with many other wonderful places and things, makes St John's worth a visit, and a return trip.

Edward, if you ever stop by give me a shout, if I am in the province I would gladly join you for a pint or six...  ;)

NFLD Sapper said:
Edward, if you ever stop by give me a shout, if I am in the province I would gladly join you for a pint or six...  ;)

Wilco! Maybe I'll go down East next year, to visit MARS, and we'll try to hop across to the Rock, too.

E.R. Campbell said:
Wilco! Maybe I'll go down East next year, to visit MARS, and we'll try to hop across to the Rock, too.

If not then I may be able to "escape" to Halifax from my perpetual purgatory of Gagetown  ;D if it's easier....

NFLD Sapper said:
And unless you know where to look a very out of the way place..... mind you its the only "pub" in which you will find an authentic U-boat periscope and in working order too I might say...... And shame on MARS for not knowing what that pin was...... :whistle: ;D

I am not sure I have been ever been anything close to sober, either going up or down those steps, hence my faulty memory.

But yes, I have a number of semi-official engagents there this weekend.  They apparently just completed a major renovation to the place - I will send pics following the weekend.

Back