• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Myths, Urban Legends Surrounding Red Fridays

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Troop Red Fridays rife with urban myths
Randy Richmond, London Free Press, 21 Oct 06
http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Local/2006/10/21/2087038-sun.html

A Super Bowl beer commercial, online urban legends, flea collars and some of Canada's media have a London soldier seeing a little red on Fridays.

Capt. Alexander Peterson of London wants to dispel the myths circulating online and in print about the campaign supporting Canadian soldiers through the Red Fridays campaign.

"People's hearts are great, but all they are doing is perpetuating myths," says Peterson, public affairs officer for 31 Canadian Brigade Group.

Some of the myths are laughable, some are merely inaccurate and some are doing more harm than good.

First the laughable.

Beer giant Anheuser-Busch ran a commercial during the 2005 Super Bowl showing U.S. soldiers being applauded as they walk through an unknown Midwest airport.

Online, that heart-warming commercial has turned into "true stories."

Bloggers and e-mailers are sharing stories about seeing troops being applauded at airports around the world.

At each airport, from Melbourne, Australia, to Atlanta, Ga., the same thing happens.

The troops are applauded. A little girl named Courtney -- obviously a popular name worldwide -- asks a soldier to give her daddy overseas a kiss. Everyone ends up in tears.

The Internet has the exact same incident happening in Toronto, where troops do not get off planes and at CFB Trenton, where troops get off planes but the public is not allowed anywhere near them.

The story is often used to advance the cause of Red Fridays.

According to snopes.com, a website devoted to debunking urban myths, the airport story has been repeated in Canadian media.

Peterson hasn't seen that yet, but he does see a mistake cropping up in the Toronto- centred national media -- that the grassroots campaign encouraging Canadians to wear red on Fridays was started this year by soldiers' spouses at CFB Petawawa near Ottawa.

In fact, the grassroots campaign started first in the U.S. and was brought into our country by soldiers' wives in Western Canada, which sent troops in earlier rotations to Afghanistan, Peterson says.

"It's fair to say the wives in Petawawa popularized it in Eastern Canada," Peterson says. "There is a lot of support right across Canada."

Some of that support is a bit misguided, he notes.

Across Southwestern Ontario, people have been collecting magazines, video games and other items to send to soldiers.

Unfortunately, the military rarely has room to take non-operational items overseas, unless they're addressed to specific soldiers.

Canadian soldiers would love to see people back home send books to libraries and send video games to children's hospitals rather than to troops overseas, he says.

Some people, worried about sand fleas that make life uncomfortable in Afghanistan, have been collecting flea powder and flea collars to send overseas.

"Please," Peterson adds with a laugh, "send the flea collars to your local animal shelter."

milnewstbay said:
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Troop Red Fridays rife with urban myths
Some people, worried about sand fleas that make life uncomfortable in Afghanistan, have been collecting flea powder and flea collars to send overseas.

"Please," Peterson adds with a laugh, "send the flea collars to your local animal shelter."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
lol.gif

rofl02.gif

I think I might have peed a little...

I don't think i need even comment on the silliness of these myths.

Our OC just came back from his Tac Recce and he told us that guys over there were wearing flea collars around their ankles.

Coyote43D said:
Our OC just came back from his Tac Recce and he told us that guys over there were wearing flea collars around their ankles.

I spent 2 1/2 of the 3 weeks I was there out in the field (by field I mean sleeping in the sand) and the sand fles weren't that bad.  A few guys were bit "pretty bad" and it was just a little rash.  I personally had no problems with the fles.

And for the most part, the guys who were bit bad were the ones who didn't 'Dip' their combats in the bug goo before deploying... it's like we do it for a reason or something  ::).

No one I've talked to, who's still over there, has said anything about wearing flea collars... but then again, people do some pretty odd stuff overthere.
shrug02.gif

The US military has already found flea collars to be useless and unsafe for this purpose. I'd hate to see someone get sick over bad advice.

Strange, we had flea collars issued in 2002, for use as boot bands.

I appreciated every single care package I got, from the stuff from friends and family, to the thoughtful gifts from legions and members of the public, addressing packages to "any Canadian soldier". These included magazines and video games, along with alot of other things, like newspapers, contact solution, gold bond powder and a million other things. We loved it, and wrote heartfelt thank - you letters to the senders.

I think Captain Pederson should "stay in his lane" as a militia PAffO, and comment on what he knows to be true, and affects his unit and his operational experience directly. He gave this reporter information that is false, and does nothing to support the mission or the morale of deployed troops.

I definitely appreciate every care pacakge I've received so far, as well as the letters - some from folks I don't even know (a couple from the NL Granny Brigade). I'm surprised that the CF couldn't/wouldn't find room for stuff to send over to "any Canadian Soldier" - even the generic magazines, DVDs, etc. would end up being appreciated, even if they only end up at the PRT or Canada House.

I've seen some pretty nasty pictures from folks who have worn the flea collars - or at least attributed to the collars. Seems to leave a fair rash when exposed directly to the skin.

captjtq said:
Isome from folks I don't even know (a couple from the NL Granny Brigade).

Ahhh Gladys, I have received at least one letter from her on every tour I've done. That lady supports our troops!!

The Librarian said:
Ahhh Gladys, I have received at least one letter from her on every tour I've done. That lady supports our troops!!

So have I, and I took the time to respond.

So have I. In the Golan in 2001 she sent us some pics of St John's during that massive snowstorm. She said she planned on being 'shut-in' for quite awhile so might as well write some more letters!! She is a national treasure.

GO!!! - I'm curious, did the medics issue the collars, or someone else in the chain of command?  Considering what little I've found through the US Army online:
http://www.mccoy.army.mil/vtriad_online/04252003/tickcollars.htm
http://afpmb.org/coweb/guidance_targets/ppms/flea%20and%20tick%20collar%20fact%20sheet.pdf (I didn't even know the US Army had a Pest Management Board)
seems kinda scary.

On the PAffO quoted, I don't know him, but as a federal worker who speaks to media as part of my job, I'm guessing any PAffO, militia or not, gets pretty clear direction on what is the case, what isn't, and what to say about either, from on high in the system (and I think those messages are vetted at some level by Reg Force PAff types).  If he's spreading false information, I'm reasonably sure someone is going to jack him up first thing Monday AM.

Also, based on everyone's experience with the media around here, if the flea collars were standard issue, what do you think the media would focus on once they heard that factoid?  Not the 95% of good news, surely  ::)

He is just giving the party line.

The mission re-supply system is designed to move operational and operational support equipment. Donated goods do not qualify as such, and can only be moved when space is available. Such space is extremely limited and its use requires extensive coordination in order to keep it under control. Therefore, in order to avoid disappointment and to ensure that CF logistics system is not overburdened, individuals wanting to conduct donation campaigns are encouraged to do so in accordance with the "Support our Troops" programs.

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/Donations/index.asp

Wow - in light of this policy, I'm glad the care packages I sent to AFG managed to get through on a pretty damned timely basis.

While the individual in question may be giving the "party line" as he understands it, it does'nt excuse the errors. He's a PAffO, he's supposed to be up to speed on these things.

If he does know about the ability of the Canadian public to send care packages to "any Canadian Soldier" and omitted it, for any reason, I would say he is doing a pretty serious disservice to those of us who have been on the recieving end of those generous packages.

If he does'nt know about it, he should, and I would call into question his familiarity with deployed ops and soldiers in general.

If he is trying to discourage people from giving bulk orders of donated goods to MFRCs and other CF administrative arms for dispersal to deployed troops at CF expense, he should state that.

The message should have been, in my mind, that people are welcome to donate anything they wish (within reason) but they should be prepared to donate the postage as well.

As for the flea collars, I wore them as boot bands at some times, and wrapped them around the legs of my cot after that, And I did get a few bites. They were issued, and Capt. Petersons ignorance of that is pretty shocking, given his position and mocking of it to the media.

I understood that they did not accept care packages addressed to "Any Canadian Soldier" If so I will send one off.

GO!!! said:
While the individual in question may be giving the "party line" as he understands it, it does'nt excuse the errors. He's a PAffO, he's supposed to be up to speed on these things.

If he does know about the ability of the Canadian public to send care packages to "any Canadian Soldier" and omitted it, for any reason, I would say he is doing a pretty serious disservice to those of us who have been on the recieving end of those generous packages.

If he does'nt know about it, he should, and I would call into question his familiarity with deployed ops and soldiers in general.

If he is trying to discourage people from giving bulk orders of donated goods to MFRCs and other CF administrative arms for dispersal to deployed troops at CF expense, he should state that.

The message should have been, in my mind, that people are welcome to donate anything they wish (within reason) but they should be prepared to donate the postage as well.

As for the flea collars, I wore them as boot bands at some times, and wrapped them around the legs of my cot after that, And I did get a few bites. They were issued, and Capt. Petersons ignorance of that is pretty shocking, given his position and mocking of it to the media.

Go!!! I would submit that you have no idea what Capt Peterson actjally said to the reporter.  You are reacting to the reporter's (and his/her editor's) interpretation of Capt Peterson's comments. 

Postage is non-issue, it is the space it takes on airplanes that is the issue.

http://www.dix.army.mil/PAO/post03/post041803/Fleacollars.htm

Humans react differently to the chemicals.  It is a bad idea.

Gunner said:
Go!!! I would submit that you have no idea what Capt Peterson actjally said to the reporter.  You are reacting to the reporter's (and his/her editor's) interpretation of Capt Peterson's comments. 
While direct quotes can be taken out of context, I think the message is pretty clear in this case.

Postage is non-issue, it is the space it takes on airplanes that is the issue.
...which is why I stated (twice) that mail sent to individual soldiers (including "any canadian soldier" mail) gets to theatre while bulk shipments of goods presented to the CF may not. The postage I spoke of is to Trenton.

To simplify further; if you send a package of anything to "any Canadian soldier", it will find it's way into a soldier's hands as it goes with the regular mail. If you drop off a tri-wall full of magazines and toiletries to your local ASU, it probably will not. The PAffO should have known that.

GO!!! said:
To simplify further; if you send a package of anything to "any Canadian soldier", it will find it's way into a soldier's hands as it goes with the regular mail.

Only bundled postcards/letters addressed to "Any Canadian Soldier" are accepted.  Parcels and packages from the general public are not.  A specific addressee name must appear on the label.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/community/messageboard/index_e.asp

Back