• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Myths, Urban Legends Surrounding Red Fridays

The folks who go to Red Fridays meetings are well meaning people who do it from the heart. The gent who started it all is a super fellow with a big heart. These folks just want to say thank you for what we do and stand for. This is also the case with the greeat folks who send those care packages. I would suggest the PAO in question has not been on tour missing his wife and Canada in general. Perhaps he should and then he might sing a better tune. I am the founder of THE SAPPER MIKE McTEAGUE WOUNDED WARRIOR FUND and get letter and chques in a daily basis from these "misguided" people. Let me tell you that I tear up with most of them as these are Canadians who care about the troops. To suggest they are misguided goes beyond the pale. These folks are the salt of the earth.  It is in fact outright rude. I think I speak for most CF members when I say thank you Red Fridays, and thank you for those little packages you kind folks send.

+1  captainj - nice post.

The following was received from Capt Alex Peterson and is provided to clarify some of the issues discussed in this thread.  (All are advised that any further responses are to address the issues, without personal attacks.)

Instead of the conjecture and supposition, in the discussion at: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/52107/post-466254, I submit the following facts for the discussion thread:

The tone of the article in question was that of the reporter not the person interviewed.  This has already been addressed directly with the media outlet.

The focus of the interview was that, while support is appreciated, it is best when given from knowledge and not myth or incorrect facts.  Many of the items discussed came from US sources where "Iraq" was deleted and "Afghanistan" inserted, and "USA" was deleted and "Canada" was inserted.  In many cases this gives the perception that these two conflicts are exactly the same and that Canadian efforts in Afghanistan are exactly the same as the US efforts in Iraq, in tactics, challenges, successes and failures.  We know this not to be true. Support to be genuine needs to be based on fact, not propaganda.  It is one of the basics of PA that inaccuracies be corrected where feasible. If Canadians are to understand the great efforts and successes our soldiers are making in Afghanistan and elsewhere it is up to us to ensure the correct facts are available. Here are the facts - well researched, and coordinated with the CF OPIs and chain-of-command in all instances:

I have friends in the US military that spend up to a year when they go on rotation to Iraq and large numbers of US soldiers are routinely seen in civilian airports. This common sight was turned into an ad for a civilian corporation in the US and has been widely circulated as a video clip on the Internet in addition to the "Little Courtney" e-mail. The Canadian version of the "Little Courtney" chain e-mail that has led people to believe that CF flights routinely use Canadian civilian airports to deploy soldiers overseas and that Canadian soldiers spend a year or more in-theatre on a single rotation. Not true. Canadians deploy via a military air-head and the vast majority of troops spend three to six months in-theatre. 

US programs are mistaken for Canadian policy when it comes to packages for overseas. The "Any Soldier" program, is an independent, non-military, non-government effort strictly in the US.  Canadian policy is "packages from known sources addressed to named soldiers"  ( see the following releases: http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2171 and http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2172 ).The intent of this is to utilize the limited lift capacity for non-mission materials most effectively.  We have experienced delays in getting the most important packages from family, friends and unit associations overseas because of the volume of unaddressed packages from anonymous sources. Many lists circulating for items to be donated have US origins and include items like lip balm and sunscreen that are in the Canadian military supply system already - meaning soldiers get another tube of no-name lip balm instead of the specific, preferred items they have asked family and friends to send. Add to this the security concerns when package contents from anonymous senders are unknown. These packages are sometimes dropped off in the dead of night and staff have arrived at work to find a plain, brown, unmarked package blocking a military facility entrance in the morning.  Items found in packages addressed "to any soldier" have included old and partially used medicines and personal hygiene products like partial tubes of athletes foot cream. 

Flea collars and flea powder appear on many donation lists - again a practice that has originated with the US in Iraq.  The US has issued orders that the practice of wearing flea collars and using flea powder be stopped. Checking with the CF PMed and the medical chain-of-command, I found that there are directives on this subject NOT to use these items.  For these products to be effective the fleas have to come in contact with the insecticide. Animals do not sweat through their skin, they pant to relieve heat.  They have sebaceous glands that secrete an oil that spreads the powerful insecticides from the collars down their bodies.  Dogs' and cats' skin do not absorb these chemicals like a human's skin does, making the collars and powders effective and safe on those animals.  However, humans using pet flea powder or wearing flea collars, even outside of clothes can cause the collars to leech chemicals into the skin because of sweat, causing chemical rashes and the absorption of some pretty noxious pesticides into the human body. In Afghanistan it is sand flies, not sand fleas that cause discomfort.  Properly using the sand traps on pants by tucking them into boots, keeping sleeve cuffs fastened, using bug netting at night and reapplying the repellent packets to uniforms after the uniforms are laundered are the most effective and approved methods of preventing bites.

The idea and founding of Wear Red has been attributed by some in the Canadian media to two military spouses in Petawawa.  This again is not fact.  It was started in the US as a grassroots e-mail campaign by a veterans' organization and has become highly politicized there.  It first appeared in Western Canada when LFWA soldiers were deployed and then in Ontario during this current rotation; first in SW Ontario, then in Petawawa.  Kudos for the publicity the ladies in Petawawa garnered, but let's not forget to give those in the rest of the country their due for their efforts to support our soldiers prior to the publicizing of the Petawawa efforts. The Canadian version of Wear Red is somewhat different from the US campaign - without the political overtones - and this fact is noted in Wikepedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Friday ). Check www.Snopes.com, www.BreakTheChain.org and www.Wikipedia.org  for further insight on this topic.

At no time did I indicate that support from the public was not appreciated, nor was there any comment that there was any blame associated for incorrect facts being promulgated, except noting the erroneous attribution by the media that "Wear Red" was an initiative started wholly in Petawawa.

Finally, it is ironic that in a debate on accuracy, that rather than ascertaining facts, individuals resorted to speculation - including speculating on my service experience and ability. There was also speculation on how PA worked. Those submitting posts used defunct terms like "militia" and "PAffO" - to be accurate, the terms are "Army Reserve" and "PAO" and have been in use for several years now.  All PAOs are trained to one standard in the CF and Reg F PAOs are not assigned "to check Res F PAO's work."  PA is a command function and PAOs at all levels work closely with their commanders and under their direction on all matters. All PAOs at formation level have the ability to release material to the public with the approval of their commander (DAOD 2008), but as matter of routine in the Army all PAOs submit media releases up the chain-of-command to Army level prior to public distribution. 

I hope this clears up some of your subscribers questions.

Captain Alexander Peterson, CD
Public Affairs Officer
31 Canadian Brigade Group

I've given up on the support stuff. I support my husband, I tell people I know about why it's important to support our troops, heck i will still tie ribbons if called upon, but having seen the wrong side of these campaigns, that were started out with good intentions and then turned into a media whoring event, I no longer feel the need to participate in "organized support". Same reason why I wont put a yellow ribbon magnet on my car. I know that when called upon the MFRC dropped the ball when it came to deployment support, so I won't further fund their support campaign. But to each their own.

camochick said:
I've given up on the support stuff. I support my husband, I tell people I know about why it's important to support our troops, heck i will still tie ribbons if called upon, but having seen the wrong side of these campaigns, that were started out with good intentions and then turned into a media whoring event, I no longer feel the need to participate in "organized support". Same reason why I wont put a yellow ribbons my car. I know that when called upon the MFRC dropped the ball when it came to deployment support, so I won't further fund their support campaign. But to each their own.

Well, Camochick sorry to hear about your own personal experience regarding deployment support; however, let me assure anyone else reading this thread that through all of my various tours, my family has received nothing but excellent support and/or referral services from the MFRCs that they have dealt with on numerous bases, in 3 different enviornmental commands. And I, for one, truly appreciate what they do.

On the any soldier packages  when I was in Iraq in 2004 with the British Army (I am TA in Scotland ) I worked in the Log Support Regt in RHQ radio det! We got about every three weeks three packages for this retired couple ( the husband being ex- Royal Engineers). We could give most of the stuff sent to the troops and they would take it! The thing we had problems with was bars of soap! People took offence because they believe the rad ops where tooking the piss! We got 30 bars of soap at a time! When the word got round about how we got the soap then the troops would take it! When written to by the troop Sgt the couple said that they send the packages to a unit on each tour because they believe that the troops needed the support and these were the things the husband had trouble getting when he was in the Middle East! This was the first time anybody write back! A new list was sent to the couple ! They may still be sending packages over to the troops today!

I think it is great that every day Canadians are taking time out to support our men and women overseas.  From sending care packages, to yellow ribbons on cars to participating in Red Fridays.  At the end of the day all these people are well meaning.  I also believe that when the pictures get to our deployed people and the families see the support from the general pubic, it makes it just a bit easier to get up and do the job that they are doing.  I know when my husband was deployed, I smiled every time I saw these things and heard about the public support.

Quotes from Capt Pederson's letter to Michael O'leary.

Captain Pederson is wrong in reference to a number of points he presents as facts. I will only comment on the ones I have experienced personally, and know to be true.

...has led people to believe that CF flights routinely use Canadian civilian airports to deploy soldiers overseas and that Canadian soldiers spend a year or more in-theatre on a single rotation.
Wrong.

I have been deployed from a civilian airport, and returned to the same airport (international arrivals, Edmonton international) in uniform, both times.

US programs are mistaken for Canadian policy when it comes to packages for overseas. The "Any Soldier" program, is an independent, non-military, non-government effort strictly in the US.  Canadian policy is "packages from known sources addressed to named soldiers"
Wrong.

The CF had a policy of delivering mail to "Any Canadian Peacekeeper" in the past, and mail addressed to "Any Canadian Soldier" was given to me in Afghanistan in 2002, it was Canadian policy, though it is no longer the case. It was a case of identical policies, not Canadians mistaking a US one for being ours. I wrote to this program as a child and recieved mail from it as a soldier, to which I responded.

Many lists circulating for items to be donated have US origins and include items like lip balm and sunscreen that are in the Canadian military supply system already...
Half true.

I requested that my family send both of these items because there was a shortage of them in theatre at the time, and when they were there, they were of such quality that led to me purchasing my own. Just because an item is supplied, does not mean that it is effective, it just means it is supplied. Look at pictures of soldiers deployed today. How many infantry soldiers are wearing the issued Tac Vest or boots?

Flea collars and flea powder appear on many donation lists - again a practice that has originated with the US in Iraq.  The US has issued orders that the practice of wearing flea collars and using flea powder be stopped. Checking with the CF PMed and the medical chain-of-command, I found that there are directives on this subject NOT to use these items.
Wrong.

Flea collars were issued to us in 2002, and many wore them as boot bands, wrapped them around the legs of their cots, and a great many people were bitten by fleas (myself included). While I would'nt wear them against my skin, and it is rightly forbidden to do so, they do have a use.

Once again, I find Captain Pederson's information to be incorrect or misleading. He should stick to the facts which he knows by experience or documentation to be true.

I further respectfully submit that there would not be speculation into his experience or professional abilities if he provided the correct information the first time.

Could it be that while flea collars were issued in 2002, now in 2007 they've changed direction policy so that they are no longer issued? I'm not being sarcastic - I have no way to know - just suggesting things may have changed so that both you and Capt. Pederson are right on that point...

The Canadian Military does not issue flea collars.  It may be okay to use them on the legs of your cot, but definitely not recommended for personal use.

Ok before a flame war begins here... GO!!! is saying he was issued collars in 2002, and all evidence seems to indicate that they are no longer issued. I think that makes everyone "right" without accusing others of lying.

No flame war, Mike, just wanted to assure people that they are not issued now.  :) 
As far as using them as boot bands, if you had boots on and your pants properly bloused, why would you need the flea collar?  ???

PMedMoe said:
No flame war, Mike, just wanted to assure people that they are not issued now.  :) 
As far as using them as boot bands, if you had boots on and your pants properly bloused, why would you need the flea collar?  ???

I remember getting issued flea collars in '02 but it was for the legs of our cots, not our own legs!

That I can understand.  Had to use ant spray on the legs of my cot in Pet in summer of 2005 or wind up having "company" in your sleeping bag!!  :eek:

Capt P states: "Those submitting posts used defunct terms like "militia" and "PAffO" - to be accurate, the terms are "Army Reserve" and "PAO" and have been in use for several years now."

Accuracy is relative to being understood.

Although the Public Affairs Office and Officer's may call themselves PAO which has been in use in some military documents such as DAODs since 1998, many Regular Force Public Affairs Offices and Officer's still use PAffO because that is what their Commanders understand.  For those of us with a CD on their chest, you will recall that PAO was used to identify a Pay Accounts Office or Officer, which was an equally important place and person.  Needless to say it may be interchangeable so long as the reader understands the abbreviation, it is appropriate to use it.

A sample website with the PAffO abbreviation is 3 ASG @
http://www.army.dnd.ca/cfb_gagetown/organ/3asghq_e.asp

National Defence Audiovisual Database that does not have PAO in its Lexicon @
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/avdb/lexicon_e.asp?strIndex=P

Since Canadians have been referring to the Army Reserve as the militia since 1855 when it was created under the Militia Act of 1855.  http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/general/about/about_e.asp

Some things that are well-used and understood are hard to change in people's minds.

PMedMoe said:

Because when you hang out in a trench which alternately fills with bugs and water, for extended periods of time, the smaller bugs can actually still get to your ankles and legs - even with boots tied all the way up and tightly bloused.

The flea collars as boot bands did work, although I can see how they are hazardous to your health, there was no direction issued with them as to how they were to be used.

GO!!! said:
Because when you hang out in a trench which alternately fills with bugs and water, for extended periods of time, the smaller bugs can actually still get to your ankles and legs - even with boots tied all the way up and tightly bloused.

The flea collars as boot bands did work, although I can see how they are hazardous to your health, there was no direction issued with them as to how they were to be used.

I can see where that would be a problem.

Back