• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MUSIC

What music do people like?

• Country

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Heavy Metal

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Classic Rock

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Rap

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Techno

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
My friends have been doing a radio show at UVIC for the last 5 years or so, Skanksters Paradise, evry Saturday afternoon.
Obviously, its a Ska show, but anyway if you like Ska you can tune in to it over the internet, the station ID is CFUV.

Also, they promote a lot of shows locally around Victoria, and one huge Ska festival each summer. This summer will be the festivals 5th year. It started as a tribute for the original Skanksters Paradise host, my best friend, who died while we were rock climbing.

Anyway, I left Victoria after the accident and now I just listen from afar. They‘ve had some really big acts come through though, and the festival is getting much larger every year. What started out as just an afternoon in some park has turned into a full weekend of partying and multiple venues showing multiple acts. If Ska is your thing, and you‘ve ever wanted to get out to the west coast, I‘d recommend checking it out.

Anyway, Scarlino have you ever heard of No Means No? They‘re a punk band from Victoria thats found a lot of success here in Canada but moreso over in Europe. They are hands down the best live show I‘ve ever been to. They‘re like 50 year old punk rockers, who really rock out. They have a secondary act known as The Hanson Brothers, where they get dressed up in hockey gear and play some punk style hockey songs, its awesome.

Did I read that right. He doesn‘t think they should win best NEW artist with their first record?
Anyone else having trouble with this?

Ya man that‘s how it is, 50 cent is thinking he deserves best new artist over Evanescence. Now if you haven‘t heard the Evanescence album, listen to it, I think it‘s great but my oppinion of course. But compared to 50 cent....sigh, he tries too hard and must think he is better than he is. I don‘t think he realises that he doesn‘t sell his records to ‘thugs‘ he sells them to millions of white suburban kids in big rich houses who will never work a day in their lives, let alone get shot 9 times....Nobody really said how he got shot anyways, maybe he shot himself 9 times? I would if I were him, his music is just that bad. Wonder what would happen if he got shot by a trained soldier...I don‘t think he‘d last that 10th shot. I really hate 50 cent. That guy is as messed up as Micheal Jackson‘s nose. That guy needs to take a look in the mirror and figure out why he is famous...Reason being...White rapper got him famous...Millions of white kids buyin his album because of the white rapper....Sigh, I give up, I‘m rambling...Goodnight. Evanescence rule. :salute:

heh.. he‘s funny...

since i really only got into one of 50 cents songs, (in the club) (oh wait i mean, in "tha" club) and it got homogenized to death, i mean come on.. beyoncee did a remake of it..

so far no one has taken an evanessence sone and tried to repackage it...

i also think 50 is way too full of himself.. the fact is that Ive heard both CD‘s myself, and evanessence is way better.. in all aspects.

and i think he needs a few more shots to the head.. maybe it will knock some sense into him.

No no...It‘s ‘In DA Club‘ haha..50 cent is a moron.. Not only can he not produce good ‘music‘ if you want to call it that, he can‘t even spell.
"50 cent has gotten more shots in the face, then Jenna Jamison." - Chris Rock

I think as far as gansta rap goes he‘s ok. No I don‘t think he‘s better than Evanescence (sp) but you gotta say he‘s better than his counterpart obie trice.

Speaking of Canadiana, I was front row at a BNL concert last night. The mention of chesterfields and K-Cars in their song made me homesick. Was a great concert - pretty fun band to see.

Im a big fan. seem em a bunch of times now, and got to meet em on a few occations as well..

Though i dont like their NDP veiwpoints, i respect their choice, and just try to enjoy the music.

accually it‘s

"Another Postcard with Chimpanzees, And every one is Addressed to me"

My God I really am anal retentive...

sorry.. I cant help it....

Isn‘t it "Another postcard <b><i>from</b></i> chimpanzees/and everyone is addressed to me..."

Sort yourself out, Cpl Thompson. Get a grip on your lyrics.

well, I came across this and I couldnt help but share it with everyone I know. Basically, this guy took Nicklebacks first "hit" and mixed it with their latest "hit" to prove how unoriginal they really are. Talk about milking a tune...sadly enough, this sounds better than most of the stuff they‘ve produced.

http://www.nintendorks.com/brandon/temp/nickelbacksucks.mp3

I just love to hate on new aged music..I say bring back the 60‘s.

I don‘t have the capability to listen to that right now (no speakers or headphones on this computer), but is it the one with How you Remind me on the right channel, and another song in the left channel?

If so, pretty funny.

I have two of their CDs, and they have been to Sydney a few times, and for the longest time I thought they were another US band. I haad no idea the werer from the ‘Peg til I saw an interview one day.

Chalk it up to another ‘Australian isolation‘ fact.

Regrads,

Wes

PS The Tea Party have been out too, many times, and I have seen them play the pubs twice (Coogee Bay Hotel).

The Peg? They‘re from Hanna, Alberta. In University, I had the pleasure of living with three people from Hanna. They never let me forget the fact that they‘re from the same place as Nickleback.

I still think one of my favourite Canadian bands is The Tragically Hip.

I like Nickelback, but they don‘t compare to the Hip. :)

Screw Nickleback....METALLICA!!!!

(old Metallica that is, new CD sucks violently)

As for Nickleback, notice how "paper back novel" is mentioned in both?! Geez even â Å“metaphoricalâ ? lyrics are repeated blatantly. :)

I went to the Nickelback show in Halifax, they do put on some pretty awesome pyrotechnics and loud arena rock kicks arse no matter who puts it on.

"Paperback novel" is also in Gordon Lightfoots "if you could read my mind"
Conspiracy?? I THINK...PERHAPS

As for the redundancy, most popular music has similar formulae.

Ie:
Opening
First Chorus
2nd Verse
Bridge (solo)
Quiet-ish buildup to:
3 Verse/Final Chorus.

Of course there‘s variation to that formula, it‘s not perfect, but seriously next time you‘re listening to mainstream rock listen for that kind of pattern.
That‘s what makes it mainstream, familiarity and a constant fanbase. Of course that begs the question what happens when the fans want something new.
Well that‘s my theory anyhow.

Personally I like The Doors; I think you could listen to them a thousand times and still have no idea what crazy Jim is going to sing next. What‘s even more fun is trying to figure what he‘s talking about.

Edited to remove the use of the word "Funner"
Note-Funner is not a word.

Back