• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP to RCMP

MP's Direct entry to RCMP??

• MP's Direct entry to RCMP??

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MP's Direct entry to RCMP??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jetta MP said:
The question than is if the military is inform that your intention is to serve with another branch other than them in the same context would they still accept your application ? :)

You don't get it do you.

Let it f*****g go. The military willingly takes in people who only intend to serve a relatively short period. If the CF were not ok with that, they wouldnt accept that kind of people.

Jetta MP said:
The question than is if the military is inform that your intention is to serve with another branch other than them in the same context would they still accept your application ? :)

I shall speak to this. Individuals whose intent is to complete one TOS then release provide the system ample time to recoup its loss; this is why TOS renewals are offered so far in advance. Individuals who join one trade to transfer later are less easily replaced, but it is still doable. Individuals who break a contract are again problematic but replaceable.

I deal with the administrative problems presented by those three scenarios often. The CF easily copes with these; certainly none of my commanders have had concerns. Why do some individuals of some trades take such umbrage towards using their trade as a springboard to civilian employment?

CDN Aviator said:
You don't get it do you.

Let it f*****g go. The military willingly takes in people who only intend to serve a relatively short period. If the CF were not ok with that, they wouldnt accept that kind of people.

I actually thought that Jetta MP brought up a valid point.

If I were to go in for an interview to become a Military Policeman, and when asked what my plans are I responded by saying, in essence:

"Well, I'm planning on attending the Military Police Academy and working as an MP for a year or so to help bolster my experience on my resume. Then I'm going to f#%k off to a local Dept using the training you're going to give me."  ..... I really don't expect that I would be seen as a very desireable candidate...

How many civilian employer's expect you to stay 25 years? Or commit long-term without a trial period? And how many would interview you, and ask if you are going to stay for 25 years, and if you say "no" then count you out?

As with any career, military or civilian, you may apply for a job and go through the hiring process, and I think both parties know that no matter how much you "want this job," it's still going to be a feeling out process for a few years before you make any long-term decisions. If an interviewer asks "what are your future long-term plans?" and you say "outside the next 2-3 years I only have ideas, not long-term plans that I am committed to," I think they would be happy knowing you're going to give it a 2-3 year shot to see if it's for you.

I agree that the military is a lifestyle but some people act like it's a marriage, and you're marrying the Queen B***h, and God knows you're going to hell if you get a divorce too.

ballz said:
How many civilian employer's expect you to stay 25 years? Or commit long-term without a trial period? And how many would interview you, and ask if you are going to stay for 25 years, and if you say "no" then count you out?

As with any career, military or civilian, you may apply for a job and go through the hiring process, and I think both parties know that no matter how much you "want this job," it's still going to be a feeling out process for a few years before you make any long-term decisions. If an interviewer asks "what are your future long-term plans?" and you say "outside the next 2-3 years I only have ideas, not long-term plans that I am committed to," I think they would be happy knowing you're going to give it a 2-3 year shot to see if it's for you.

I agree that the military is a lifestyle but some people act like it's a marriage, and you're marrying the Queen B***h, and God knows you're going to hell if you get a divorce too.

I agree with your post, but when the interviewer asks about the future long-term plans, and you clearly answer that you're only interested in staying in the forces long enough to get a job outside of the forces.... that is when asking if they would still hire you becomes a legitimate question.

uncle-midget-Oddball said:
I actually thought that Jetta MP brought up a valid point.

If I were to go in for an interview to become a Military Policeman, and when asked what my plans are I responded by saying, in essence:

"Well, I'm planning on attending the Military Police Academy and working as an MP for a year or so to help bolster my experience on my resume. Then I'm going to f#%k off to a local Dept using the training you're going to give me."  ..... I really don't expect that I would be seen as a very desireable candidate...

Lots of people join to leanr skills that will get them into something on civvy side, just like alot of people join for the free education. The CF have established terms of service lenghts to ensure it gets an approrpiate level of retun on its investment.

Why is that last point so f*****g hard to understand ?

CDN Aviator said:
Lots of people join to leanr skills that will get them into something on civvy side, just like alot of people join for the free education. The CF have established terms of service lenghts to ensure it gets an approrpiate level of retun on its investment.

Why is that last point so f*****g hard to understand ?

I could also ask you why it is so f*****g hard to understand how admitting to the interviewer that you are only applying for a trade such as an MP for the training to become a member in a civi dept the instant you are able to would make you a less desireable candidate?

The police services are not shy about recruiting from each other. Check out "Lateral Transfers" on the right-side centre, if interested.
"What if I am currently serving as a Police Officer with the RCMP?":
http://www.hamiltonpolice.on.ca/HPS/Careers/Sworn/ 

Because the recruiter doesn't care.  Many people join with the intention of a test drive, with no desire to be a lifer.  That's why there are BEs.  Plenty of people complete the BE and leave.  It's a business deal; we get someone to put on a uniform and do what we tell them, they get useable training for the real world.

Kat Stevens said:
Because the recruiter doesn't care.  Many people join with the intention of a test drive, with no desire to be a lifer.  That's why there are BEs.  Plenty of people complete the BE and leave.  It's a business deal; we get someone to put on a uniform and do what we tell them, they get useable training for the real world.
Exactly.  And, in many cases, folks who join with the intention of only doing their initial engagment like the test drive and hang around.  Not to mention the links the Branch gains into civilian police forces via ex-MP.

Kat Stevens said:
Because the recruiter doesn't care. 

Fair enough.

The scenario I had been trying to describe (I probably could have described it better) was an applicant admitting that s/he has no real interest in serving in the CF, and is applying to become a Military Policeman solely to attend the CF M Police Academy for the training, rather than applying to attend a civilian academy such as Holland College or JIBC...

The scenario I had been trying to describe (I probably could have described it better) was an applicant admitting that s/he has no real interest in serving in the CF, and is applying to become a Military Policeman solely to attend the CF M Police Academy for the training, rather than applying to attend a civilian academy such as Holland College or JIBC...

Yeah, we understood. My knucles may drag when i walk but i could manage to understand enough of you posts to know what you meant.

How many more serving members have to tell you the same thing before YOU get it ??

I agree with your post, but when the interviewer asks about the future long-term plans, and you clearly answer that you're only interested in staying in the forces long enough to get a job outside of the forces.... that is when asking if they would still hire you becomes a legitimate question.

Considering the CF lists "Related Civilian Occupations" and whatnot on it's official recruiting website for all the different trades?

I would say the whole "this is a great first step to your ultimate goal" is more of point recruiters would try and make, than it is a reason that somebody shouldn't be hired (or, since this is what the argument is about, shouldn't even bother to apply because their "intentions" are somehow dishonest?).

CDN Aviator said:
Yeah, we understood. My knucles may drag when i walk but i could manage to understand enough of you posts to know what you meant.

How many more serving members have to tell you the same thing before YOU get it ??

You really don't need to use that same condenscending attitude in every single post you make in every single thread. Not every discussion requires it...

"Fair enough," means exactly that: Fair enough. I understand and get it.

I would say the whole "this is a great first step to your ultimate goal" is more of point recruiters would try and make, than it is a reason that somebody shouldn't be hired

That is where I was looking at the issue from the other end. I was looking at it more like it was "So you're only using us for the free training with no interest in serving with us?"
I didn't think that a recruiter, or whoever accepts your application into a particular trade, would look as kindly upon someone with that plan as they would someone who is open to or planning on a career with the CF.

I guess in my mind I had the priorities of the recruiter reversed.... Fair enough.

That's the difference between an interview for a small organization and an interview for a large organization like the forces...

Back