• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MP to RCMP

MP's Direct entry to RCMP??

• MP's Direct entry to RCMP??

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MP's Direct entry to RCMP??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mackbolan

Inactive
Reaction score
Can Reg force MP's go directly into the RCMP or other Canadian police forces??

Trying to find a back door to RCMP's strict entry requirements?

Nope, Just a hot debate at work...haha...trying to squash some rumors. I guess some MP's think they can go directly into the RCMP but I have been told otherwise by RCMP members. So I wonder what the real facts are and thought it would make a good post to see what kind of feed back there is....I'd like to get an MP's perspective on this site perhaps....and...Relax it's the army we are not all grammar queens nor are we always the most polite...didn't know we had to be so formal, please accept my apologies.

I think you'd be better suited contacting an RCMP recruiting office and asking them their policies on recruitment than asking a member of a different force.  They're generally a lot more knowledgeable about their own field than some random dude on the Internet.

Thanks Shamrock...this is what I got off their website

Lateral entry applies to two categories of candidates:

Category 1: regular member applicant, who has had more than two years of Canadian Police experience, within a year of application to the RCMP and who graduated from a Canadian, provincially recognized, applied police training.
Category 2: regular member applicant, who has had up to two years of Canadian police experience, within a year of application to the RCMP and graduated from a Canadian, provincially recognized, applied police training.
Non-public police agency experience alone, e.g. military police, Canadian National railway police, is not acceptable for this program.

Trying hard................can't stop self.............................must type..........................rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no direct entry to rcmp ! halifax yes, fredericton yes, opp you have to do 3 weeks or full training depending on you qualifications, For the rest of Canada I don't no

Rumors for Sureté du Québec !!! nothing confirm but they are looking for 700 police officer !

They CDN Forces will have to adapt !

twizted said:
no direct entry to rcmp ! halifax yes, fredericton yes, opp you have to do 3 weeks or full training depending on you qualifications, For the rest of Canada I don't no

Rumors for Sureté du Québec !!! nothing confirm but they are looking for 700 police officer !

They CDN Forces will have to adapt !

OPP were taking our Sgts and WOs from Borden at the school when I was there in 2000 right into the OPP Academy at Orillia to teach the radar and Breathalyzer etc. They were getting paid as Constables 1st class I think....it was a big problem as we were losing our senior NCOs to them. Not sure what the sit is right now.

Question: I have heard a rumour that OPP takes lateral transfers from MP's?

Answer: It is not true.  We do have a push on hiring however there are no lateral moves from MP's or serving sworn officers.

Darryl Wilson, Sgt.
OPP Uniform Recruiter
Deployed Thunder Bay
(807) 939-2133

There are tons of military guys at Depot..all regular members going through the 6 months training (almost) 24 weeks...

No luck for MP into RCMP.

I think if you are looking for a lateral hire, some departments out east do it.  Halifax takes QL5 MPs as laterals.

QV said:
I think if you are looking for a lateral hire, some departments out east do it.  Halifax takes QL5 MPs as laterals.

I know a guy that pretty much went straight to work for the HRM police

We've lost a lot of troops to HRP in the last couple of years through lateral transfers. There are other agencies out there doing the same thing. As others have said, though, RCMP will still have you go through the depot. I'm hearing rumblings that their own personnel crunch may negate that requirement in the future for particularly qualified Police Officers, but it's just that at this point --> rumours and rumblings, from what I can gather.

i'm interested in this as well, particularly for Ontario Police Forces.

captjtq said:
We've lost a lot of troops to HRP in the last couple of years through lateral transfers. There are other agencies out there doing the same thing. As others have said, though, RCMP will still have you go through the depot. I'm hearing rumblings that their own personnel crunch may negate that requirement in the future for particularly qualified Police Officers, but it's just that at this point --> rumours and rumblings, from what I can gather.

Last time I heard from RCMP recruiting is that they will not take anyone as a lateral without further training them in either Depot Div or if you're in BC, Chilliwack RTC.

One of the arguments I've heard for why MPs can't lateral into allot of the different police services is because of their lack of experience. Now, please don't jump on me for this, and let me clarify this. The argument that I've heard was that MPs do not see nearly the same amount of calls of the types of calls for service as a member (I mean all sworn police officers in a service). The likelihood of an MP dealing with members of the PUBLIC on every call is almost NIL, because MPs service those who are within the CF community. In the CF no matter what happens, a rank structure, military discipline and chain of command exists, making the procedures and methodology of handling a call, or a case very different then on the street. MPs do not actively engage in high risk vehicle stops, execute arrest/search/seizure warrants on a regular basis.

This is all because of the population that the MPs deal with. Very different from those dealt with by their 'civilian' counterparts on the street. This is how some have argued it, and I can see their points.

This is definitely not saying that applicants with Reg MP experience should be discouraged to apply with police services, it's just that there is a high probability that they will be treated just like anyone else. However, the experience gained through investigative work, interrogation techniques so on and so forth, would most definitely come in handy when you've graduated and you're now on the street.

I don't know, that's just my 0.02 rupees. I'm sure some of our more learned colleagues would either agree or disagree with me.  :)

MedTech said:
Last time I heard from RCMP recruiting is that they will not take anyone as a lateral without further training them in either Depot Div or if you're in BC, Chilliwack RTC.

One of the arguments I've heard for why MPs can't lateral into allot of the different police services is because of their lack of experience. Now, please don't jump on me for this, and let me clarify this. The argument that I've heard was that MPs do not see nearly the same amount of calls of the types of calls for service as a member (I mean all sworn police officers in a service). The likelihood of an MP dealing with members of the PUBLIC on every call is almost NIL, because MPs service those who are within the CF community. In the CF no matter what happens, a rank structure, military discipline and chain of command exists, making the procedures and methodology of handling a call, or a case very different then on the street. MPs do not actively engage in high risk vehicle stops, execute arrest/search/seizure warrants on a regular basis.

This is all because of the population that the MPs deal with. Very different from those dealt with by their 'civilian' counterparts on the street. This is how some have argued it, and I can see their points.

This is definitely not saying that applicants with Reg MP experience should be discouraged to apply with police services, it's just that there is a high probability that they will be treated just like anyone else. However, the experience gained through investigative work, interrogation techniques so on and so forth, would most definitely come in handy when you've graduated and you're now on the street.

I don't know, that's just my 0.02 rupees. I'm sure some of our more learned colleagues would either agree or disagree with me.  :)

I see where you are going, but to a point I have to disagree.  Almost all civilian police services accept laterals from smaller civilian forces.  Some of those smaller civilian forces are even less busy then some MP detachments!!  Hard to believe, I know.  

The likely hood of MPs dealing with the PUBLIC are exceedingly high for every call.  Generally most calls I attend can be easily split 50/50 - meaning 50% chance it is a CF member or 50% chance it is a civilian.  At my last post it was more like 70% civvie to 30% military.  Most bases are wide open to the public with some places even allowing civvies to live in PMQs.  

You said:  " In the CF no matter what happens, a rank structure, military discipline and chain of command exists, making the procedures and methodology of handling a call, or a case very different then on the street. "  I disagree.  We (police officers) all have to follow certain procedures for criminal code offences and provincial offences ect..... For me, as a responding police officer it doesn't matter what rank/status the people involved hold.  I have to treat everyone the same.  So if I arrest a LCol for assaulting his spouse - he/she gets treated no differently then if I arrest the oil patch worker who did the same and is residing in the PMQs (because CFHA rents them out now).  The only time it differs is when there are NDA offences - this we only investigate and the CO decides on charges - unless NIS is involved then they can lay their own NDA charges.  When NIS is not involved, typically NDA offences are minor disciplinary matters that should be handled by the unit only anyway.  

You also said: "MPs do not actively engage in high risk vehicle stops, execute arrest/search/seizure warrants on a regular basis."  You are in part correct.  High risk veh stops are not common, but not non-existant either.  Arrest warrants are quite common actually for anything and everything.  Search warrants - depends on the member - if you have a guy that digs for shit he will likely come across more stuff to work then the guy who sits on his ass.

It is kind of strange that many civilian forces don't accept MPs as laterals, but the MPs don't accept ANY force for lateral entry either.  Some other strange and stupid stuff is this:  I can teach the RCMP use of force (UOF) techniques, I can qualfiy them and I can run their refresher training for this.  I can do this because I attended and passed the Public and Police Safety Instr course.  I CANNOT train and refresh MPs on UOF techniques because I did not attend the MP course.  UOF is the same across Canada no matter the police force, for example:  police in Vancouver don't get to automatically escalate to gun before the police in Saskatoon do in the same situation (all event details being equal).   A lot of things don't make sense across the board.  I think a lot of it has more to do with local politics then common sense.  

QV, thanks for the post! I'm glad that you had attempted to dispell some of the misconceptions. like I said this is just a argument I've heard from some members. oh well :) always good to hear from both sides :D Cheers!

Although I do not agree,  I understand and respect the RCMP's decision for no lateral transfers.  The bottom line is when they put a constable on the street they want him/her trained to their standard.  But that certainly does NOT take away from the training/experience our MP receive.  Our Academy in Borden is second to none from what I've seen.  You should have been at CFSIS in the 80's.  We've come from the Flinstones to the Jetsons in a very short period. Just a point of interest.  An MP was posted to the RCMP depot a short while back and did a fantastic job.  In fact he marched on the graduating class.  First time in RCMP history.

Just my two cents worth from an old "Meat Head"  :salute:

Back