• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mk III Combat Boots: Use, Maintenance & Other Stuff.

New recruits aren't issued the new socks... if he doesn't know how to break in a boot yet, I can only assume he's a new recruit...

Regarding what happens if they get wet? That's why you bring spare socks...

And to Nate M., how long do they take to dry? Depends on the temprature you're wearing them in, and whether or not you've polished them yet (If you have, they'll take longer to dry). Put them on, wet, when you get up in the morning (Provided you don't plan on doing too much physical that day, or you WILL tear up you feet), and take them off that evening.

What happens is the leather gets soft when wet, and as it dries, it dries in the shape of your feet... it's well worth the trouble. A well broken in pair of combat boots are incredibly comfortable, and a pair that hasn't been broken in is incredibly painful.

You can also break them in over time by simply wearing them, but this takes quite a while. Say for example, wearing them solely on Thursday nights in garrison, it could well take all year to break them in. Getting them good and soaked in the mud and rain on a weekend exercise usually does the trick quite well.

I find that when I wear my polypro socks and then my wool socks over them my feet just get DRENCHED in sweat and it makes my feet icky.

Also, I havn't noticed that the polypro socks really help on long marches. What I have problems with the most is the heels on my feet (right where your heel curvers upwards on the back) I always get friction blisters there really easily. What can I do to avoid that? Should I slap on some moleskin before I put my boots on? I find that a moleskin will last a long time if you dont screw up the sticky stuff...

You didn't here this from me...

As far as polishing the bottoms of the boot (which some instructors require), use hairspray after you have cleaned the dirt off (If you use polish, it will make a mess).

Also, try and get a HORSEHAIR brush for buffing boots, they are the best (don't use a kiwi cloth on the boots, it will take you hours, and wont get into the bumps)

I swear by generous amounts of foot or baby powder applied directly to your feet, including between your toes.

Helps keep them warm in the winter as well because your feet stay dry.

Never leave home without it.

Also as a hygienic note if your in the field for a while you'll want to use it on your privates as well.

Chimo

I'm breaking in my second pair right now.  I soaked them in hot water for an hour or so, then put in the insoles, put on foot powder, moleskin on my heels, polypro socks, and regular socks.  i'm ending 2 consecutive days of this and i have 2 sets of nicely formed boots, no blisters, and surprisingly little discomfort.  you may not want to do too much physical activity, but don't just sit around either, walking around in them while the leather's soft is a great way to work the various folds and high-movment areas.  they do take the WHOLE day to dry, especially the inside, but the last bit is where they really tighten up to the shape of your foot so don't give up on it too early.  Great method!

cheers

Noting the fact that I've been an inordinate amount of posts regarding new boots recently, I thought it would be fitting to mention I'm getting new boots today... it's the earliest I've been able to exchange them before I go away... FRIDAY! Now the question is, can I break them in before then? Can I do it? The race is on...

I asked that question in the "combat boot maintenance" topic (I'm leaving on Saturday) and I got a couple good replies.  You can check there for some more techniques.  But they mostly say soak and wear.

Heh...

My post wasn't really a question... it was more of a statement... you'll note that I made several posts in the boot maintence thread myself answering questions... I had to exchange my old boots today, couldn't do it last week... also learned that my boots were two sizes too large to begin with this morning when I exchanged them, so it's a good thing I made the exchange... (My boots were the same size, numerically, as my sneakers... when they were originally issued, they just asked what size my feet were, and gave me that... I had no idea what the right size for me at that point was...the supply tech today asked "Have you done any ruck marches in those?!?" "Yeah... you could say that...")

Oh, and for reference purposes, the best way to break in your boots is to wear them lightly, and then do a 5 hour nav march... through bogs... in the rainy season... the soaking them over night bit is just a poor man's solution ;)

lol, sig op found dead in the bogs, a powerful magnet was found in his belt, and a dissassembled compass was found not far away...

No, more like "Sig Op found dead in bog. Autopsy reveals death from exhaustion. Authoritites believe the man became lost after following his compass around in a tight circle as it pointed at the radio on his back."

We did 12 hours of nav in the rain on our BMQ field ex. My boots were definately broken in for our grad parade  :mg:.

so, a normal every other day kind of a day, of shopping (buying kit), watching tv (organizing kit), and playing computer (trolling the boards, whilst wearing kit) is fine while breaking in soggy boots? i would have figgered less movement is better... specially considering that even short walks with a boot that's all wet is just askin for blisters?
any other knowledge on: if walking around in wet boots is better than just sitn around in wet boots?

If you don't move in them, they won't break in... molding them to your feet is just half the battle...

Put a mole skin on each ankle before you actually put the boots on.

... and don't forget your polypropylene  sock liners.  their slick texture works great to prevent friction blisters.

Moltar said:
... and don't forget your polypropylene   sock liners.   their slick texture works great to prevent friction blisters.

as much as I like my polypro socks they just trap the moisture! should I just use more footpowder?

went to MEC and bought me a bunch of diff. socks, coolmax, merino wool, and a 2tier sock system, i'll let you know which one works the best

AlphaCharlie,

The footpowder absorbs moisture so use lots.

If you change out your socks during the day re-apply another generous helping before you put your boots back on.

Chimo

Back