• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Min distance from home for authorization of hotel

Scoobs

Inactive
Reaction score
Did a quick check and couldn't find this on the site.  I'm currently not in Canada (in the States) and I have a question as I cannot remember the specifics.  My question is, what is the min distance a mbr must be away from their home on TD in order to be authorized a hotel?  TD is for one day.

Thanks.

I am not sure distance has much to do with it. It should be more about the circumstances. What is preventing you from using your own home to sleep in? Adequately answer that question, and you should have your hotel room.

The closest that you might find to a direct reference to distance is the 500 km maximum driving distance a day limit that is found in the CFTDI. That puts a practical limit on driving 250km, attending a meeting/parade/event, then driving 250km back to your home.

But that would only apply to driving. It is perfectly possible, for example, for a staff officer in Toronto to fly to Ottawa for breakfast, attend a promotion board/testify at a court martial, then fly back to Toronto for dinner.

And as others have stated, some situations can result in members to stay in hotel (or more commonly in quarters) even when their home is in the local area.

Typically you are authorized commercial accommodations or you are not while on TD.  Distance does not really play a part.  Even in a scenario where you requested a PMV waiver to go on a TD you would not be entitled to commercial accommodations during the journey so distance from home would not apply.  They only way I could see this being a factor is if you were ordered to drive to a TD location in it was more than maximum allowable driving distance for the first day.

I have seen senarios in which individuals IR to one location were denied accomodations while on TD to a location in the area of where they were IR from.

I never investigated the underlying regulations and/or policies which apparently required this, but the guys were told it was something to do with prohibitions on TD within the same geographic boundaries as one's home.  I am skeptical.  I have seen troops with local homes get ordered into shacks for DP1 courses and the crown picked-up the cost of the rations and quarters.

MCG said:
I have seen senarios in which individuals IR to one location were denied accomodations while on TD to a location in the area of where they were IR from.

I never investigated the underlying regulations and/or policies which apparently required this, but the guys were told it was something to do with prohibitions on TD within the same geographic boundaries as one's home.  I am skeptical.  I have seen troops with local homes get ordered into shacks for DP1 courses and the crown picked-up the cost of the rations and quarters.

It's in the TD instructions, or whatever official regulations. If you go back to where your home is while you are on IR, you are not on "TD", no entitlement to lodging or per diem. I don't have the ref, but I have seen it in black and white.  Different situation as being ordered into shacks for duty/course.  It's not a distance thing.

(/tangent)

The regulations are called Canadian Forces Temporary Duty and Travel Instructions.  They do say that one cannot receive TD while while also receiving separation expense and staying in their principle residence.  However, I don't see anywhere where it says an individual, who is traveling as part of a larger group, must arrange their own transportation from from one side of a bases geographic boundaries to their principal residence ~ 50 km on the opposite edge of the geographic boundaries and then back for 5:30 am.

Back