• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military License Plate

PPCLI Guy said:
I wonder if he has the permission of the Regiments to use their proprietary logos?

I think I will find out...

Well, I do know of one case where someone got shut down for using CF badges for a money-making venture:

http://www.zazzle.com/military_insignia/gifts?cg=196596658324787409

We regret to inform that at the request from Department of National Defence of Canada Zazzle management opted to remove all Canadian Armed Forces products from Zazzle marketplace. As a result, this insignia will no longer be available as a part of my "Military Insignia" project on Zazzle. Read the full story on my blog here: Canadian Military Insignia 3D

Pat in Halifax said:
And you sir, REALLY have no idea who Oldgateboatdriver is....

Okay, how about we stop that here and carry on with the topic at hand.  OGBD's shot across PPCLI Guy's bow, while apparently intended to play the cutesy legalese game he intended, missed the mark because the Patricia Margeuritte no longer falls under Crown Copyright, as it was last used prior to WWII, and is outside of the 50 year period that Section 12 of the Canadian Copyright Act stipulates. 

Thus, PPCLI Guy is both regimentally and, for those so interested, legally entitled to display the WWI Margueritte, unlike the individual to whom PPCLI Guy's original note of interest pertained, the regimental design of which is still currently in use, and thus still subject to Crown Copyright.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Okay, how about we stop that here and carry on with the topic at hand.  OGBD's shot across PPCLI Guy's bow, while apparently intended to play the cutesy legalese game he intended, missed the mark because the Patricia Margeuritte no longer falls under Crown Copyright, as it was last used prior to WWII, and is outside of the 50 year period that Section 12 of the Canadian Copyright Act stipulates. 

Thus, PPCLI Guy is both regimentally and, for those so interested, legally entitled to display the WWI Margueritte, unlike the individual to whom PPCLI Guy's original note of interest pertained, the regimental design of which is still currently in use, and thus still subject to Crown Copyright.

Regards
G2G

so there is no 'legal' restriction on reproducing  CEF cap badges, collar dogs etc. then ?

I was going to leave this alone but can’t. With all due respect to the OP, I apologize that we have derailed this on you but I think your initial query is answered.
The recent ‘bun fight’ started because a 26 year veteran of the CF wanted to PROUDLY display his Naval service but there seemed to be no off-the-shelf product so he made his own. Friends who were also retirees asked him to make them one and convinced him to expand, which he did. I do not know if he requested Crown permission for the use of the images (though as a 26 year CPO2, I will assume he knew better and did) but I don’t care. He is not ‘raking’ in cash on these.
I noticed that no mention is made of the retiree who has been paid and trained by the taxpayer dollar to take a six figure job with a Defence contractor whose sole goal is to squeeze maximum monetary benefits out of the government (the taxpayer) through lucrative contracts. And dapatterson, I don’t know you but I expected more from you based on your profile. The individual pictured WOULD wear whatever the f*** he wanted and no one (not even you) would prevent that – cheap shot.
I always cherished the fact that this website did NOT promote political correctness and in fact, usually members diplomatically discouraged it. Also, there was no rank and except for a VERY select few, no hierarchy amongst members. nerfherder, with all due respect to you and he, who PPCLI Guy is as opposed to who OGBD is, is irrelevant.
I used to come to the site for a chuckle, to learn, to contribute, generally to feel better. Now, I find more often than not, I leave the site pissed off because of things like this. No, none of this belongs in this thread-None of this should have been necessary in the first place.

Unfortunately, I think I may well be done here.

Pat in Halifax said:
Unfortunately, I think I may well be done here.
It's not political correctness; it's the law.

And you're "pissed off because of things like this"?? Things like this? People disagree with you, so you're going to take your teddy bear and leave?  :crybaby:

Get the fuck over yourself    ::)

Pat in Halifax said:
Also, there was no rank and except for a VERY select few, no hierarchy amongst members. nerfherder, with all due respect to you and he, who PPCLI Guy is as opposed to who OGBD is, is irrelevant.

All I was alluding to is where PPCLI Guy's authority comes from, not his rank. He does have the authority to use emblems as he sees fit due in course to the position he currently holds and his past position. If he wanted to he can PM you on all the details.

At no time did I ever say what it was because it doesn't matter to the topic at hand. I had a good chuckle because someone was spouting off without knowing the facts.

You then feel free to chime in with "You don't know who OGBD is" and now you're the one bringing in "though as a 26 year CPO2, I will assume he knew better and did" that lends itself no where to the discussion at hand....

:bla-bla:

Nice way to work in your rank to try and win an argument.

As for you leaving this "unofficial site, not associated with DND" because someone disagrees with you, have a nice day.

Regards

dapaterson said:
Because once you let one guy do it, everyone will do it.  And your idea of what's appropriate may not be someone else's.

Unless you want this guy
6a00d8341bf6cb53ef0120a51fa34b970c-320wi
wearing a "HMCS YourShip" thong out in public.

Alright, who gave you my photo  :clubinhand:

jollyjacktar said:
Alright, who gave you my photo  :clubinhand:

;D :rofl:

Think i'll order a couple for gifts

Now listen everyone, I am big enough to live through this - trust me on that.

Let's see if we can get back on topic here, with a quick summary of where we are:

Someone in Sask. makes (beautiful, IMO) license plates that  include crests and other miscellaneous military emblems and signage.

We don't know whether that person has proper permission or not to do so and some members state they want to find out.

Other members want good enough left alone.

In that last vein, I make a feeble attempt at levity that backfires through my ignorance, starting a pi****g contest.

Now, can we go back to the topic: Military license plates.

All I can say is that, regardless, two of those RCN Retired plates will soon be on their way to me and if I broke the law, well then so be it.

I agree, let's get back to the topic.

;D  After reading all the funnies I now forget what the OP had asked.

Soooo - new quesiton simply because I don't know and am too lazy at the moment to look for it.  Is OGBD breaking any laws by purchasing these items and using them?  WWF(wildlife) sued WWF (now WWE wrestling) and won.  No one that had purchased their items, used them and some still use them have ever been charged with any crime in association with it that I know of.

Here in Manitoba, you must have a regulation front license plate. Is that the case in most other provinces?

OGBD would probably not be breaking the law in buying/using the plates provided they are not on a commercial vehicle (inferring an association which may lead to making more money for his business) or are not used in any way to discredit the CF.  What would be against the law would be if the seller did not have permission to use the crests/insignias.

My take on what the marketing and trademark guys taught me last year.

GAP said:
Here in Manitoba, you must have a regulation front license plate. Is that the case in most other provinces?

In Alberta we only have rear license plates.

GAP: Not the case in Quebec: we don't have any front license plate - hence my purchase.

CountDC: I would not get charged, but the RCMP can seize any item protected under trademark laws - All they would have to do is drive faster than I would be if they ever tried to get their hands on my plates :) .

BTW, as I made my purchase, I noticed that Don's designs are marked as "trademark protected", which would tend to support the fact that he has proper permission to use.

The Vet's Vette (my '95). I thought this was unique until I rolled up my to a meeting of our local Corvette Club and there was an '09 with similar plates. Some vets get it!

Nerf herder said:
All I was alluding to is where PPCLI Guy's authority comes from, not his rank. He does have the authority to use emblems as he sees fit due in course to the position he currently holds and his past position. If he wanted to he can PM you on all the details.

At no time did I ever say what it was because it doesn't matter to the topic at hand. I had a good chuckle because someone was spouting off without knowing the facts.

You then feel free to chime in with "You don't know who OGBD is" and now you're the one bringing in "though as a 26 year CPO2, I will assume he knew better and did" that lends itself no where to the discussion at hand....

:bla-bla:

Nice way to work in your rank to try and win an argument.

As for you leaving this "unofficial site, not associated with DND" because someone disagrees with you, have a nice day.

Regards

Thanks
Two things to clarify - I am not the one who is the 26 year CPO2 - It is the site owner.
Also, I recognize his name and have asked him directly and will get back to all on this.

Pat

Further to my last, from the owner of the site:

Hello Patrick

All of my Crests/Badges, etc. are purchased from a vector graphics company and the amount I paid includes any and all royalties.

I do not reproduce any that people send me unless they or I have the approval to do so. I do not want to infringe on any copyrights.

Don

Don's Military Vanity Plates

306-696-3262

As the OP of this thread, carry on with the derailed discussion.  I have always found that I learn more randomly rather than deliberately searching anyway. 

Back