• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Michael McNeil, William Elliott, Travis Halmrast, R.I.P. (27/28 Nov 2013)

Tralax

Inactive
Reaction score
I saw this on the globeandmail.com this morning I thought I would share.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/defence-minister-calls-military-suicides-troubling-but-says-ottawa-has-stepped-up-soldier-support/article15657839/

- mod edit to change subject line to include names -

Condolences to everyone affected by these tragic endings  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

This, from Question Period (QP) yesterday ....
.... Ms. Élaine Michaud (Portneuf—Jacques-Cartier, NDP):  Mr. Speaker, yesterday, in the middle of the night, there was another tragic suicide in the Canadian Armed Forces. It happened in Petawawa this time.  There have now been three suicides in the past 48 hours. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families.  There are currently 50 boards of inquiry under way into this type of death, some dating back to five years ago.  What is the government doing to prevent further tragedies if it is still investigating what happened five years ago?

Hon. Rob Nicholson (Minister of National Defence, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, we will continue to do more of what we have been doing. We created the joint personnel support units to allow our ill and injured members to work with medical personnel, social workers, occupational therapists and others to assist them. We have increased the annual health care expenditures by over $100 million.  That being said, any time there is a tragedy, of course, it is one too many.  I look forward to the report from the Canadian Armed Forces.

Mr. Jack Harris (St. John's East, NDP):  Mr. Speaker, there have been three suicides in the last 48 hours. The minister says that the Canadian Armed Forces is investigating, but there are now 50 outstanding boards of inquiry on military suicides. Some are over five years old.  There have been no reports on these deaths, no reports on what could be done to help our soldiers who so clearly need our help.  Could the minister tell us how many suicides have taken place in the Canadian Armed Forces this year and what plan does he have for prevention?

Hon. Rob Nicholson (Minister of National Defence, CPC): Mr. Speaker, we have invested heavily in mental health support for the members of our armed forces. We have almost doubled the number of individuals involved with health care. We have increased the budget. We have set up the joint personnel support unit.    Again, with respect to the tragedies that the member has talked about, I look forward to the report on that because one death or three deaths are three deaths too many.
.... as well as another bit from yesterday's QP:
.... Ms. Joyce Murray (Vancouver Quadra, Lib.):  Mr. Speaker, I am sure I speak for all members of this House when I say that ill and injured members of the Canadian Armed Forces deserve the very best care we can possibly provide. The tragic events at CFB Shilo two days ago only underscore the depths of despair and suffering caused by injuries received while serving. The family members have our deepest sympathy.  Would the Minister of National Defence please inform this House of what additional steps he is taking to ensure that every Canadian Forces member has the help that they and their families need?

Hon. Rob Nicholson (Minister of National Defence, CPC):  Mr. Speaker, our thoughts and prayers are with the families, friends, and colleagues of these departed individuals. I wish all those associated with these individuals peace during this difficult time. I can assure them that the Canadian Armed Forces is investigating this matter, and that is entirely appropriate.

The broken record syndrome strikes again.
JPSU/IPSC's are failing due to severe manning shortages.
Dedicated personnel that work there are simply becoming burnt out.
Saying we have put more into the budget is lip service, saying we will continue to do what we are doing is an insult.
Isn't it obvious that the 100M isn't enough??

Three soldiers in less than three days is a tragedy.
Once soldier any day is a tragedy especially if it could be prevented if access was readily available at all times.

My condolences to all family and friends that this may affect.
:salute:

I was shocked when I heard this news.  I knew Warrant McNeil from my time at the battalion.  He was an outstanding NCO and a true professional.  This has come completely out of left field and I don't think anybody could have predicted this.

Lets drop the inevitable political discussions that will come out of this for a minute and simply pay our respects to a few good men that have left us far too soon!  RIP Michael McNeil, William Elliott and Travis Halmrast.

R.I.P. Gentlemen

A tragedy for the CF and their families.My condolences to their families and colleagues.

I served with McNeil overseas in Afghanistan for a short while. He trained me up driving the LAV III after I got tossed in one with little to no training. Stuck up for me when the going got stupid. Hard to imagine this happening with someone so level headed.  RIP.

RoyalDrew said:
Lets drop the inevitable political discussions that will come out of this for a minute and simply pay our respects to a few good men that have left us far too soon!  RIP Michael McNeil, William Elliott and Travis Halmrast.

Absolutely. These brave men haven't even been laid to rest, and yet everyone is jumping to use them for a political cause.

RIP  :salute:

RoyalDrew said:

Very much agreed.

I had met and spoke with Mike a few times when he was in the LFAA world.  Always thought he was a solid guy.

RIP gents.

:cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

RoyalDrew said:
Good call.

RoyalDrew said:
I was shocked when I heard this news.  I knew Warrant McNeil from my time at the battalion.  He was an outstanding NCO and a true professional.  This has come completely out of left field and I don't think anybody could have predicted this.

:salute: RIP troops. :cdn:

Trav was by far one of the best #1's I've ever worked for on the guns, always looked out for us troops below him and always managed to keep up morale while keeping us motivated.

Outside of work he was always a hilarious outgoing happy guy, still can't believe it.

RIP to all 3 men :cdn: :salute:

Gen. Dallaire is having a tough time thinking about the recent deaths.

Senator Roméo Dallaire in car crash on Parliament hill
Recent military suicides and looming anniversary of Rwandan genocide have left him unable to sleep

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senator-roméo-dallaire-in-car-crash-on-parliament-hill-1.2449420

Liberal Senator Roméo Dallaire told Senate colleagues Tuesday afternoon that the car crash he had on Parliament Hill earlier in the day was caused by a lack of sleep due to reliving the events he saw as a general during the Rwandan genocide and the apparent suicide of three Afghan war veterans last week.

"On my way to work this morning, I fell asleep at the wheel and crashed into the barrier near the East Block with my car. I am very thankful that nobody was injured or worse by my not being more attentive to the level of fatigue that I have been experiencing," Dallaire told the Senate.

In an interview with CBC News Network's Power & Politics on Tuesday, Dallaire said he was unhurt, but that his biggest fear had been for the safety of others.

"I'm OK, because I was completely asleep and in so doing didn't see anything coming, so when the airbags blew open, I was sort of like a rag doll, so I have no injuries, no whiplash or anything. The gravest element of that was my fear that I had hit somebody, because the Hill is always full of people."

The senator's black BMW skidded off the road, past the sidewalk and onto the snow-covered grass before hitting a lamp post on Parliament Hill.

Senator Romeo Dallaire says his car crash on Parliament Hill on Tuesday was caused by a lack of sleep due to reliving the events he saw as a general during the Rwandan genocide and the apparent suicide of three Afghan war veterans last week. (The Canadian Press)

​"I was out cold, just like that."

Dallaire, a retired general, said he is still battling post-traumatic stress disorder two decades after heading up the UN peacekeeping mission in Rwanda.

The Liberal senator was the force commander of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Rwanda​ leading up to and during the 1994 genocide.

Dallaire told host CBC host Evan Solomon that alcohol was not a factor in the accident.

"I'm not allowed drinking. I have not had a drink in 12 or 13 years now," Dallaire said.

The senator, who in the past has attempted suicide, explained that he hasn't had a drink in over a decade because of the antidepressants he is on to treat his PTSD.

Dallaire told Solomon he will be attending a therapy meeting on Thursday and will avoid driving unless he has to.

PTSD triggers

As the 20th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide approaches in April 2014, Dallaire told the Senate he has been reliving those events. Not only that but the apparent suicides of three Afghan war veterans last week have also had an effect on him, he said.

Dallaire told his Senate colleagues those events have affected his ability to sleep, despite taking prescribed medication to help him cope.

"I simply ran out of steam," the senator said.

Dallaire said he regrets taking such a risk and not paying more attention to his physical condition.

"I hope it brings no dishonour to you or to this institution," Dallaire said.

The RCMP closed the road to traffic while Dallaire's car was towed.

RCMP say that "like alcohol, fatigue impairment slows reaction time, decreases awareness, impairs judgment and increases the risk of crashing."

Dallaire is an Officer of the Order of Canada, a Grand Officer of the National Order of Quebec, and a Commander of the Order of Military Merit.​

He is also the author of two bestselling books stemming from his experience in Rwanda and is currently working on a third book.

There is also word of a 4th suicide in Quebec that MP's are investigating, a Vandoo this time. Troubling week and saddening that it look this to get the issue into the public spot light.

Back