• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

recceguy said:
...while you fulfil some Freudian need to suckle and bond.

That's awesome.  Great maturity from a moderator.

I would expect that from a teenager, not someone in their 50s with a leadership position on this site.

Petamocto said:
.....with a leadership position on this site.
Moderators on this site are also free to express their opinons and frustrations.

When acting in a DS capacity, they tend to note that in their post.

Please don't mistake this as an invitation for a conversation from me either; you remain on <ignore>

Journeyman said:
Please don't mistake this as an invitation for a conversation from me either; you remain on <ignore>

Obviously, since you respond to just about every post I make, regardless of the topic, parroting whatever Recceguy says.

Do you have any opinions of your own on this (or any) matter?

Petamocto said:
Do you have any opinions of your own on this (or any) matter?

::) I think what is bothering people is the fact that you have an opinion on everything.  Lately when I go to the home page you average about 2 or 3 of every new post, I have to admit this place is starting to smack of the "Petamocto Forums". 

To attempt to bring this thread back on track I'll throw my vote in for the real or pre-tied round the neck bowtie as either is less likely to fall into your soup after a few glasses of good cheer.

I wore a real tie once, after having it pulled a few times to see if it was 'real' and punching out the final offender, I opted for the 'adjustable'. Fortunately I was a young Cpl at the time and the RSM said, "How can I charge him when most of my SNCO's aren't wearing it?" or words to that effect. I personally think being a Lineman helped ;D

LineJumper said:
I personally think being a Lineman helped ;D

Being a Lineman always helps  8)

I'm actually tossing around the idea of buying mess kit right now but remain undecided.  The expense is quite high for something you rarely use, but I hear the comfort factor alone is worth laying out the funds.

It also prevents one from doing less stupid things, as one doesn't want to ruin such a fine red drinking suit. ;D

Good evening all,
Can anyone recommend a good tailor that does CF Mess kit (army) in southern Ontario.  (Toronto, Hamilton, Quelph areas).

I am travelling down next week and am looking to be measured.

Thanks for your help

Ian

The Borden CANEX can arrange it - and you can pay on the credit plan if you don't have the 1K or so burning a hole in your pocket.  It's not that far from Toronto either.

MM

Is it permitted to wear a beret with mess kit under any circumstances!? Is there any precedent for this?

chaplainLD said:
Is it permitted to wear a beret with mess kit under any circumstances!? Is there any precedent for this?

Not that I'm aware of.  AFAIK, you do not wear any headress with mess kit.

PMedMoe said:
Not that I'm aware of.  AFAIK, you do not wear any headress with mess kit.

The current practice is usually no headdress, but in the past Army Mess Kit did include a Wedgie/Wedge Cap.  Some of our more Senior members may even have one.

chaplainLD said:

The dress regs provide:

"8.          Outerwear. The following outerwear may be worn or carried with mess dress as appropriate:
a.  headdress (worn outdoors);"

(Page 6B-2)

I'm not sure how the myth that one doesn't wear headdress with mess kit got started, but it is indeed a myth.  I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that we don't normally wear headdress indoors (unless you're teaching a class in the Army) and mess kit isn't really worn for outdoor events.  Nevertheless, mess kit is a uniform and uniforms include headdress.  In fact, the last time I read the instructions on how to get new mess kits approved, they specifically stated that proposals shall include proposed headdress.  When I go to mess dinners, I tend to bring headdress as I will often take public transit home (rather than drive).

I have seen a Navy officer wear, with Mess Kit, headdress that was either old RCN pattern, or current RN pattern:  wider and flatter that current CF (Navy DEU) pattern.  I assume that this is actually not permitted...?  I don't believe that he was old enough to have actually served pre-unification.

Pusser said:
I'm not sure how the myth that one doesn't wear headdress with mess kit got started, but it is indeed a myth.  I suppose it might have something to do with the fact that we don't normally wear headdress indoors (unless you're teaching a class in the Army) and mess kit isn't really worn for outdoor events.  Nevertheless, mess kit is a uniform and uniforms include headdress.  In fact, the last time I read the instructions on how to get new mess kits approved, they specifically stated that proposals shall include proposed headdress.  When I go to mess dinners, I tend to bring headdress as I will often take public transit home (rather than drive).

It's only when the dining commences that it must be removed, correct?

lethalLemon said:
It's only when the dining commences that it must be removed, correct?

Or when a RSM sees you in a mess with headdress on. You'll commence removing the headdress after a one way discussion about it.  ;D

Just looked in CFP 265. The various graphics with the orders of dress clearly show no headress with mess kit, however, Regimental, Branch, Corps or Element custom would be the norm, IMO.

I have never worn headdress with mess kit.

Back