• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

murrdawg said:
Even as a CELE and not as Sigs (just clarifying)? Wish it was only all one standard, not so many choices

The signals branch badge is the same reagrdless of what trade you are.

Is there even a branch specific tartan for CELE? Or is it just AF tartan? Which do the air force wear?

murrdawg said:
Which do the air force wear?

I have no branch specific cummerbun so i wear the AF tartant one. The engineers i see wear the engineer brick-red one ........

So black cummerbun is out for sure, right? Can a black bowtie be worn with it or does it have to be tartan too?

Go to the museum and talk with Mr Postill.  He will sort you out with everything you need.

*Edit to correct spelling error

murrdawg said:
1. Are cummerbuns mandatory?
2. For air force, do we have to have the tartan stuff or can we stick to black (e.g. black bow tie instead of tartan, black cummerbun instead of tartan)?

Yes, they are mandatory.  I wore the black one initially, then got a tartan one.  Some units have their own. 

murrdawg said:
3. Are handkerchief's mandatory?

No.  In fact, I have not seen anyone wear one with an AF mess kit.

murrdawg said:
4. Satin or poly type bowtie?
5. Metal clips or full wrap around bowtie?

Whatever you want.  It doesn't matter in the end.  Most people wear the standard poly wrap around.  Your unit may have a unit bow-tie that you need to tie.

murrdawg said:
6. Suspenders or belt?

Can't really wear a belt.  Definately suspenders.

murrdawg said:
7. What kind of shirt? There's three types: white ruffled with black pin-type buttons, plain white dress shirt with black pin-type buttons, or plain white dress shirt with clear buttons.

I have a ruffled and I wear an "aircraft pin" for each aircraft I have flown.  For the empty spot, I wear the CAF crest pin.  You can wear whatever pin-type buttons.  Do NOT wear one with buttons attached to the shirt itself.

murrdawg said:
8. Or is everything just a manner of preference?

Lots of it is preference.  There is the basic styles (Dark Blue or White) but everything else is pretty much your pick. 

Andrei is really good.  I got my mess kit from them for 800$ everything included (Capt Rank and pilot wings) For a 2Lt with nothing else, it would probably be cheaper by 50$ or so.  Canex also offers a 12 month no interest plan to buy your mess kit from them.

Yeah, I'm going through Andrei.... I just wasn't sure like shirt wise and tie wise, and the other accessory-wise, if there was a standard or anything like that. How common are the plain white dress shirts with the studs?

murrdawg said:
How common are the plain white dress shirts with the studs?

I have not seen anybody wear it around here in the last 5 years.

So in short.... Get Signals buttons to replace the studs, get a pleated shirt, get an AF tartan bow tie and thing that goes around the waist, and suspenders?

You've been four years at Kingston, and don't know any of this? ::)

Go see your Adjt or your Chief. Sit down and ask everything you want to know.

I hope your lack of Mess social graces is not indicitive of your education. Listening to advice on the internet, even on this forum, you run the high risk of showing up, at your mess dinner, looking like a circus clown. The two references above are your only safe bet as to what you should wear.

Recceguy, we do learn mess etiquette, but not about what is what in regards to the mess kit itself.

Those same two will also be able to tell you how, and what, to wear for mess kit.

Etiquette is listed in books.... I have yet to see where it says anywhere as to what kind of tie you are supposed to wear, what kind of shirt, anything about the studs, so on and so forth. So unless you can prove to me anywhere in any military docs it says, then I don't believe you have any kind of point to prove. I am merely seeking out answers on this kind of thing from other people's experiences and what not because of the fact it isn't in any documentation. I'm sorry that you think the highest quality from RMC, but living it in the last 4 years, there's a lot to be desired.

OK. I'll try make this simple. Quite talking about etiquette.

Go see your Adjt, or your CWO, ask them what is expected of you for wearing Mess kit. Those two are the ones that will know what is expected of your particular unit when wearing the same.

They will telll you if you need something in tartan, something in silk, what type of shirt that is expected, etc. Following their guidance will ensure you are properly dressed for the occasion, as they are the ones responsible for that corporate knowledge.

murrdawg said:
Etiquette is listed in books.... I have yet to see where it says anywhere as to what kind of tie you are supposed to wear, what kind of shirt, anything about the studs, so on and so forth. So unless you can prove to me anywhere in any military docs it says, then I don't believe you have any kind of point to prove.

Easy, go to the C&E Branch Website (if I was at work I would post the link).  There, in Branch Orders, is what is required for the Mess Kit.

211RadOp said:
Easy, go to the C&E Branch Website (if I was at work I would post the link).  There, in Branch Orders, is what is required for the Mess Kit.

When you get a chance, would you mind?

murrdawg said:
When you get a chance, would you mind?

I am on pre-deployment leave for the next two weeks, and will not be at the office for a while.  DIN search should pull it up, or go to the CFJSR DIN site and follow the links.

Back