• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Kits

George Wallace said:
...  Barathea is cheaper, and looks just as good.

Yes to the first part of that, no to the second.  If you're used to looking at everyone wearing the doe skin ones, when you see one that isn't it almost looks like pool table felt.

While it is certainly the buyer's choice, personally I think it is well worth the marginally higher cost.

I could understand if the difference was $1,000 vs $500, but it's more like $1,000 vs $900.  For the amount of time you're going to have it and how formal it is, I would advise getting the doe skin not so much to impress others but just to have something that's better.

Question: I assume they are not actually made of Doe Skin Leather, so what is Doeskin?

Really? Interesting. I figured they would be made of wool like a tuxedo, but leather? Different.

Have you seen one up close?  It's not like shiny leather; they're more like suede.

OK, let's not lead gullible too far by the nose.  First off, Bambi (despite the effeminate name) was a buck!  Secondly, both doeskin and barathea are different weaves of WOOL.  The main difference is that you can see the weave on barathea from several feet away, whereas with doeskin, you have to get much closer (i.e. inches) to see the weave.  From normal social talking distance, doeskin looks like a rich felt.  It's also softer and less scratchy than barathea.

Walked into that one didn't I? Oh well I'm thick skinned I can take the hazing that comes with being a fresh recruit ;) I suppose I could have just looked up Doeskin.

DexOlesa said:
... Oh well I'm thick skinned I can take the hazing ....

Whoa whoa whoa...that word ist verboten in Army circles.

The Navy has some weird drinking traditions, but some "kinda bad stuff" happened a couple decades ago.

I'll go to my grave believing my doeskin mess kit is made of real deer.

*laughs* I like this forum, lot more people here with my sense of humor.

I am in the process of buying all my new mess kit stuff. I have some questions after the amount of stuff at the Canex rack over took me. By the way, I am air force....

1. Are cummerbuns mandatory?
2. For air force, do we have to have the tartan stuff or can we stick to black (e.g. black bow tie instead of tartan, black cummerbun instead of tartan)?
3. Are handkerchief's mandatory?
4. Satin or poly type bowtie?
5. Metal clips or full wrap around bowtie?
6. Suspenders or belt?
7. What kind of shirt? There's three types: white ruffled with black pin-type buttons, plain white dress shirt with black pin-type buttons, or plain white dress shirt with clear buttons.
8. Or is everything just a manner of preference?
9. Is there a "standard" mess dress for air force?

I think those are all of the questions I have.... I just want to make sure I buy everything once and not waste money on something I'm not going to wear.

1. Are cummerbuns mandatory?

Yes, it's part of the uniform, unless you are authorized a waistcoat

2. For air force, do we have to have the tartan stuff or can we stick to black (e.g. black bow tie instead of tartan, black cummerbun instead of tartan)?

You can wear the appropriate branch cummerbund or the tartan one (BTW, black is the branch colour for Naval Operations, so you might not want that one).  Bowtie should be black - at least at the start of the evening.

3. Are handkerchief's mandatory?

No

4. Satin or poly type bowtie?

Silk of course

5. Metal clips or full wrap around bowtie?

Proper officers hand tie their bowties

6. Suspenders or belt?

There are no belt loops, suspenders are required, unless you want to be the subject of discussion the next day.

7. What kind of shirt? There's three types: white ruffled with black pin-type buttons, plain white dress shirt with black pin-type buttons, or plain white dress shirt with clear buttons.

No ruffles.  Discreet front with tiny pleats is best.  The black plastic "buttons" are actually studs, which should be replaced with nicer ones.

8. Or is everything just a manner of preference?

There is some room for preferences, but there is a basic standard.

9. Is there a "standard" mess dress for air force?

Yes, the midnight blue mess kit detailed in the Air Force section of the Dress Manual.

So I'd have to get a tartan cummerbun with a black bowtie? Yes, I know about the mess kit that has to be tailored (blue) but I meant standard for shirt, bowtie, etc. What is the branch cummerbund for CELE? Canex doesn't sell the ones you tie yourself.... so what is the next best thing? Canex doesn't sell shirts with tiny pleats... It looks like ruffles all across the front. As for the studs, what should they be replaced with?

Or being in Kingston.... They should have them at the museum right? Just finishing at RMC and completely clueless about mess kit haha.

murrdawg said:
Or being in Kingston.... They should have them at the museum right? Just finishing at RMC and completely clueless about mess kit haha.

Which probably explains why you can't get them at Canex.

So do the black studs in the shirt get replaced with signals buttons?

Even as a CELE and not as Sigs (just clarifying)? Wish it was only all one standard, not so many choices

Back