• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit List

tencezero said:
So whats Next?
Does merit listed mean im in?
How long is the wait?
Pysical standards for Basic?  ( im going regular force, was told i have to pass a standards or they will send me home. I got lazy.)
What the hell is a crutch list for basic?

Other things are, my Wife, when can she come to visit?  Do i qualify for a PMQ? or off base living.

If any one know the facts about these questions please let me know,

Thanks

Merit listing means that you're on the list ready to be hired. When there is a spot open and your name comes up, THEN you'll be given a call and an offer ... how long that will take depends on when they're hiring again in your trade, when your name comes up etc.

To get the physical standards, go in to the RC and get the handout that explains it in detail.

I have never heard of a crutch list ... don't know what you're talking about there ...

Your wife MAY be able to visit during one of the weekends on BMQ, but don't count on it ... you may not get the time off.

As for PMQ's etc ... you won't be able to find out about that until after BMQ ... and a lot of it depends on what trade you are, what the length of your trade course is etc.

There ARE several other posts under Recruiting that answer a lot of these questions if you look for them.

I was told from my recruiter about 2 mths ago that i was on the merit list and it could take 2 weeks to 2 mths for the call. My question is if in that time if my trade closes do i still get the call for a job offer or do i wait longer.

My understanding is that although getting merit listed means it is very likely that you will eventually get a job offer, it does not make anything for sure, especially timing. There are only so many openings in every trade, they will be filled by the most qualified people... Once the trade is closed there are no more spots, likely until the new fiscal year (April 1st).

Take my input with a grain of salt as I am not even sworn in yet, my knowledge is limited to what I have seen and heard in the recruiting process.

I will also reiterate that searching these forums can answer almost all recruiting questions.

WatsonJeffrey said:
I was told from my recruiter about 2 mths ago that i was on the merit list and it could take 2 weeks to 2 mths for the call. My question is if in that time if my trade closes do i still get the call for a job offer or do i wait longer.

I was merit listed for Combat Engineer and Military Police. Combat Engineer became full, and I didn't make it onto the MPAC, so my answer would be it's not a guarantee but sit tight and maybe you'll get what you want. Once you get the phone call I imagine it'll make the waiting worth it.

So i was just merit listed yesterday for naval communicator. the petty officer told me that there are 12 positions left and i should get a call in the next week. i just wanted to know what my chances are and is it for sure once your merit listed? can they close your file after you have been merit listed?
:cdn:

yeah lol well maybe he was just estimating but he offered me nav com cause sig op closed up and said it was similar just on the sea. Did you also apply for nav com?
can they close your file after your merit listed or are you pretty much gaurenteed a spot and just have to wait it out?

yeah lol well maybe he was just estimating but he offered me nav com cause sig op closed up and said it was similar just on the sea. Did you also apply for nav com?
can they close your file after your merit listed or are you pretty much gaurenteed a spot and just have to wait it out?

The Navy.ca sub-section of this forum has some useful information!

"Applicants are eligible to receive offers of enrolment with the CF in order of merit, based on their Military Potential rating." retrieved from http://www.forces.gc.ca/somalia/vol1/v1c8e.htm

Basically, wait it out.

FYI, I called the CFRC on 07/08/10 to get an update on my application and I was told I have been merit listed and flagged for a job offer, but I have to wait 2 weeks because the individual who will be making the offer is on vacation.

No big deal.

Stacked said:
Yes I also applied for Nav Comm as my second choice. And no I don't believe they close up your file, but you most likely get a job until April 2011 if you miss these last spots. Unless you find another open trade you are interested of course.

yeah so i heard, thats why i jumped on nav com as quick as possible. =p

So i was just merit listed yesterday for naval communicator. the petty officer told me that there are 12 positions left and i should get a call in the next week. i just wanted to know what my chances are and is it for sure once your merit listed? can they close your file after you have been merit listed?
:cdn:

I can only comment on my situation. I was merit listed as a Combat Engineer, and 6 days later I got a call for one of 33 Combat Engineer positions. This was back March. You'll just have to wait it out a bit and see what happens.

I was merit listed back in May, and I had a job offer within a week of that happening.

i have another question, once in a trade is hard to switch over to another one when it opens up next april? and are basic intakes not until january like my recruiting officer told me?

Switching between trades is NOT simple, and can take years to achieve.  DO NOT accept an offer into a trade you do not want because you think you can switch later without any difficulties. Some trades  (that are easy to get into because they are short people) may even be closed to letting people transfer to other trades.

I just called for an update on my file, and although the officer doing my interview said there are 35 spots available (LCIS Tech) and I should expect to be in BMQ by December, I was just told that all the spots have filled up and I am "Merit listed" and to call back in a couple months.

If all the LCIS spots are now full, do I have to wait until April for new openings?

[Edit] Thanks to whomever moved this post to the right place!

MatthewMeredith said:
Does this mean that I have to wait until next April for fresh openings?

More than likely. If any spots open in April of course.

I'm merit listed for Nav Comm, Sonar OP, and NCI OP since last fall. I just called the cfrd Barrie and was told they should start calling for those positions in the next week or so. Now my cause for concern is that those jobs were removed tonight from the hot jobs and I'm curious if that means they no longer are accepting new applicants and are currently calling those merit listed or that they just are finished that drive completely.

Any Thoughts?

If you're on the merit list the hot jobs list on the recruiting website has nothing to do with you. That's for people who haven't applied yet.

PuckChaser said:
If you're on the merit list the hot jobs list on the recruiting website has nothing to do with you. That's for people who haven't applied yet.

Thank you haha I'm just sweating the small things I guess.

Achillies47 said:
Any Thoughts?

It may mean they've seen the numbers and, nationally, there are more than enough completed files to fill any vacancies being announced. If that is the case, they don't need any new people pushing on the pull door to the CFRC to ask about those trades.

Back