• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit List

Dakota

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a newbie and like most of us, I am waiting for the call. May 4th, I wrote the CFAT, had my Medial and interview. I took the PT two weeks later and passed. After contacting the Recruiting Centre, all that they were waiting for was the background check to be returned. I thought that I would be proactive and call every know and then. Well finally, last week the background check was returned. I was a little concerned with the delay, as some said the background check could take only a week, but all was good. After seeing a few postings, a lot of you have said that you were Merit listed on a certain date. All they said when I called was that everything was cleared and you have a good chance to be selected for the July board. If not there would be another selection board in September. Should I have been notified of being Merit listed or was it just a fluke that I called when they received the final clearance? I just want to make sure everything is in order.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Future Combat Engineer.

Nobody has to call you to tell you that you have been merit listed it happens automatically once you have successfully completed the required processing.  Now be patience and wait.

Thanks for the reply and your reply was as I thought. It can just tend to be confusing when you see all these postings. Thanks for your help.

I didnt know where else to put this or find any information on it
was wondering, I have been in the reserves for 8 months, had no courses yet and i made the decision to do a Coponent Trasnfer to the reg force infantry, recently finished my Interview for the CT and i have to go in to do my PT test do see if im up to date in phyiscal standards.
i was told that if i passed the Phsyical i would be placed on a merit list.
and was wondering how long does a merit list wait last for and how does the merit list work?
is everyone joining the forces in a way put on a merit list?

CSAries89 said:
was wondering, I have been in the reserves for 8 months, had no courses yet and i made the decision to do a Coponent Trasnfer to the reg force infantry, recently finished my Interview for the CT and i have to go in to do my PT test do see if im up to date in phyiscal standards.
and was wondering how long does a merit list wait last for and how does the merit list work?

The answers to your questions (ie how long) depend up where you end up on the merit list.

Merit lists are put together based upon your interviews, testing results, extra-curricular activities, suitability, etc.

They are like making a top-ten list .... those who show the best results are at the top of the list etc.

As positions become available they start making offers from the top of the merit list ... down. So the time it takes can be guesstimated but never stated, and is subject to change all the time ... as interviews etc happen all the time ... and someone who applies a month after yourself may be placed ahead of you.

Does this answer your question?? It's the only way that I can really think of to put it, but hey -- it's 0428hrs here.

Yeah thanks that does pretty much asnwer my question
however, the merit list.. does it guarantee a position no matter?

CSAries89 said:
Yeah thanks that does pretty much asnwer my question
however, the merit list.. does it guarantee a position no matter?

Well, if you make it onto the merit list ... they've deemed you suitable for enrollment ... so yes.

Someone's already decided that for you anyway; you're in the PRes and already have some qualifications. Those qualifications etc will do you well on the merit list.

CSAries89 said:

PM incoming.  ArmyVern has provided the details on how the Merit List works.  Since Infantry NCM is one of the occupations that is authorized for local selection, within a week of being Merit Listed you will be considered for the first available Infantry NCM position, and assigned to the first available BMQ.  How soon that will be depends on when you are merit listed, and how many Infantry NCM positions are available.  Obviously, if they are all taken, we have to wait until more vacancies are made available - normally after 1 Apr of the next year.  My last check indicated that there were still a number of Infantry NCM postions available.

What people aslo have to consider is that the recruiting system is looking to minimize the time an individual awaits his trade course.  If the trade course is scheduled to run in April 08, they will work back dates & schedule you for SQ course & a BQ course, in order to have you ready "just in time".  You might be ready to go today BUT, if course scheduling says that you only need to report in on Nov 15th, then they will only bring you in - in November... just hope you don't get injured and get recoursed cause that'll throw a wrench into everything.

Geo,
That used to be the case but the CFRC's are trying to fill vacancies for each MOSID and keep BMQ's full. We are not given any indication of when the SQ or Occupational training courses start. That's why PRETC in Borden is so large. The old way was I believe much better but more cumbersome to use.

Ah ok.  Guess they have to build in a "cushion" for those people who fail the basic fitness test and end up in the "fitness" platoon

geo said:
Ah ok.  Guess they have to build in a "cushion" for those people who fail the basic fitness test and end up in the "fitness" platoon

Actually the system changed in 2000/2001, when the decision was made to decouple Recruiting from Training.  Up till then Recruiting was given targets based on the Schools Training Schedule, and capacity.  However, with the cut-backs in the 90's, the Schools capacity was below the actual requirement in many occupations.

As well, if the Recruiters missed an occupation target for a specific Recruit training serial, then the staff at various levels had to make decisions whether or not to increase the target for later in the year, or for the next year.  It all added up in the old system of not making a lot of the targets, as well as not meeting the needs of the CF.  The current system, while not perfect, is an improvement, and now that the Schools know that the Recruiters are providing a lot of people for them to train, its up to them to decide how to handle the load - and changes have been made to improve the training and decrease the waiting time.

I've been reading this board for awhile.

As of today I got notified of being merit listed.

From what I understand this is basically a pending offer of employment. Wait times can be short to very long depending on a variety of factors.

With that said, I have Applied to AEC, well originally I applied for Infantry but due to results of my testings my Recruitment officer recommended AEC, saying I scored exceptionally high and that the horseshoe must be painfull. I got a laugh out of it.

But its been a longer process then I expected up to this point. Roughly 6 months from originall application to being merit listed.

My question is , is this a high competition field, or would it be likely the merit list I'm on being very short and with a better chance to not have many ahead of you. I know it has the highest appitude result requirement.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm happy for my early Christmass gift.

Hi, there are a few threads that talk about this, but I am in the exact same boat as you. I was told that other day from my file manager than all classes are booked for BOTC for Jan. 7th.  However they are working on perhaps pushing a NCM class back and making room for more officer cadets.  If not, you should be expecting a call anywhere from February to April.  I hope this is of help to you.  Feel free to send me a PM if you need any more info, as I said, I am in the same circumstance.  And I would appreciate if you keep my posted (ie hear from your file manager etc.)

I have recently spoken with FM and was told that Jan 08 BMOQ is full (was months ago) but that a Mar 08 BMOQ is pretty much a done deal. They just need to figure out exact dates. I have been told that I have a spot in the course, but until the course is announced, I won't get my offer. Figure Jan or Feb for official offer. Obviously, not much happening for the next three weeks.

Does this match up with your experience? What about other officer recruits?

You guys really have to do some searching and reading around here first. Most, if not all, has been answered here already. Start in 'Recruiting'.

You've already been told the situation by the Recruiting Centres. If you still have questions, about your personal files, please direct your queries to them. We have no way of knowing the daily changes to trade entries and course loadings.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hey,

I've been merit listed now for over a month waiting for AEC. From what i've been able to gather from the boards its difficult to say when an offer could come down the line for me. I've found older posts about a selection board meeting to determine who moves from the merit list on to an offer and i'm wondering if anyone knows when the selection board for AEC might meet next. Just antsy to get some sort of a timeline to when I may get my offer.

Cheers

UPDATE:

So after calling the same Career Counsellor, I was not merit listed. I'm not sure why he told me I was, but he informs me that I should be and will be next week. Not quite sure how he made this error but hopefully this will get my process moving after 45 days believing I was merit listed.

I started my application way back in March 2009 and a few days ago my waiver for the reliability went thro, had some things on my credit I needed to deal with before my reliability status was granted, Its been a very long Process and im happy to have it over.

Anyway,  I got thro it and I was told I can consider myself merit listed am looking for some advice/Info on what to expect next.  Mostly the pysical standards.  Now thing get a little grey for me here. Im getting several differant storie so i figgured i would ask this community for advice.

So whats Next?
Does merit listed mean im in?
How long is the wait?
Pysical standards for Basic?  ( im going regular force, was told i have to pass a standards or they will send me home. I got lazy.)
What the hell is a crutch list for basic?

Other things are, my Wife, when can she come to visit?  Do i qualify for a PMQ? or off base living.

If any one know the facts about these questions please let me know,

Thanks

tencezero said:
I started my application way back in March 2009 and a few days ago my waiver for the reliability went thro, had some things on my credit I needed to deal with before my reliability status was granted, Its been a very long Process and im happy to have it over.

Anyway,  I got thro it and I was told I can consider myself merit listed am looking for some advice/Info on what to expect next.  Mostly the pysical standards.  Now thing get a little grey for me here. Im getting several differant storie so i figgured i would ask this community for advice.

You may have come to the right place.......your spelling by the way is atrocious. 

Let's see now....

tencezero said:
So whats Next?

A few others in the past have asked that.  Their posts are easy to find.

tencezero said:
Does merit listed mean im in?

Yes.  We have a topic on that as well.

tencezero said:
How long is the wait?

I believe that is the exact wording of that topic.

tencezero said:
Pysical standards for Basic?  ( im going regular force, was told i have to pass a standards or they will send me home. I got lazy.)

Just too many topics on Physical standards to list them all here for you.

tencezero said:
What the hell is a crutch list for basic?

Never heard of it.

tencezero said:
Other things are, my Wife, when can she come to visit?  Do i qualify for a PMQ? or off base living.

Yup!  Those have all been asked and answered by someone already.  You are not the first. 

Back