• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Meet Canada's new head reconstruction official in Kandahar

Flip

Inactive
Reaction score
It's a small piece of news but there are some interesting aspects.

If you check the link there is a picture

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - The woman recently appointed to direct civilian Canadian efforts in Kandahar province stepped into the spotlight for the first time Sunday, pledging to provide "overall leadership and strategic direction" to what has been a difficult and controversial reconstruction mission.

Elissa Golberg, who assumes the new role of representative of Canada in Kandahar, met briefly with reporters at this large military base.

Among other things, she said, the next few weeks will be spent "talking to a lot of people to see how we can further advance the work that we're doing here. Frankly, I'm just looking forward to getting on with the job," added Ms. Golberg.

She did not identify her main priorities. The 34-year-old diplomat arrived in Afghanistan just a few days ago.

But she has been here before; previously, she served as executive director of the Panel on Canada's Future Role in Afghanistan, chaired by former cabinet minister John Manley.

As well as recommending that Canada extend its mission here beyond 2009, the Manley panel suggested the federal government should "revamp" its reconstruction and development role and give "higher priority to direct, bilateral project assistance that addresses the immediate, practical needs of the Afghan people, especially in Kandahar province."

That is where Ms. Golberg comes in.

Described by some as a wunderkind, she joined the Department of Foreign Affairs in 1996. She has since developed a strong background in disaster relief and in what she called "high stakes environments."

Last year, Ms. Golberg helped co-ordinate Canada's relief response to the summer hurricane season in the Caribbean. She helped direct relief after the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004. She has also worked on conflict solutions Sudan, Haiti, and Kosovo.

Arif Lalani, the Canadian ambassador to Afghanistan, introduced her to reporters Sunday. Col. Christian Juneau, acting commander of the Canadian Forces in Kandahar also took part in the introductions.

From the National Post & Shared with usual disclaimers etc.

Did she just get out of Grad School?

Is this a sign of me getting old saying, "when did the heads of the PRT's start being so young?"  like I do with teachers and doctors these days?

Then again, if memory serves, Chris Alexander wasn't much more than 40 or so when he took over as Canada's ambassador to the whole country.

She will CERTAINLY have her hands full!

She will CERTAINLY have her hands full!

No doubt but she seems to have the right credentials.
Even if she makes the rest of us feel or look old.

My family doctor was a small woman who looked like she was about 12.
I never let her appearance confuse me though.

Back