• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

cheddar said:
I'm very curious as to what I have to look forward to after I'm done with the educational side (yes I understand that I'll constantly be learning, I just mean with the College part), for example where SQ takes place, I know that I wont find out where I'm stationed until I complete my Paramedics program. But mostly I'm just interested in what my day to day life will be like, shift work? 4 days on, 3days off? etc. (once again (because I know there's some sticklers on here) I realize that everyone's experience is different but just a general description would be nice)

This may help.
Topic: "NCM-SEP Med Tech career path":
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/99315.0.html

Thanks MarioMike, read through that whole topic (there seem to be some unnecessary hostility) and it cleared up a lot of questions...I read it before(couple months back) but most of the lingo didn't make sense...guess I'm becoming accustomed to certain abbreviations.

Also I'm glad that we can do the A-EMCA after the PCP course  I didn't know if this was an option, I'd rather do it right away.

cheddar said:
Also I'm glad that we can do the A-EMCA after the PCP course  I didn't know if this was an option, I'd rather do it right away.

You are welcome, Cheddar. You did not mention which province you will be studying in.
If Ontario, you challenge AEMCA when you receive your PCP diploma. AEMCA is mandatory to work as a Primary Care Paramedic in Ontario.
If you study in another province, you will not be eligible to challenge AEMCA until after you pass QL5:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/hp-ps/mcsp-pmcc/AEMCA-eng.asp

Sorry I should've been more specific. I will be studying in Ontario at Durham (needed at least 105% average just to be looked at to get in...just tooting my own horn a bit :p) I've done tremendous research on the civi side of paramedics so I know what testing and things are needed, but the military side of things is a bit trickier, a lot of vague answers...which is understandable due to the fact that the recruiters aren't Med Techs, but did have a blast when I was doing my medical. And through networking I have found out that this military experience will greatly benefit me should I chose to go civi route later, and opens doors into other fields.

As a rule, unless you're deployed somewhere, your day to day existence will be Mon-Fri, 7ish to 330-4ish.  Not alot of shift work these days unless you're doing ride outs.  Your SQ will be where they can get you on course - could be Meaford, Gagetown, wherever.  Alot of work if you're posted to a base will be clinical doing sick parade and the stuff that goes with running a clinic.  If you're in a field ambulance, PT, vehicle and stores maintenance, weapons training, and various taskings or courses as they present themselves are the order of the day.  You'll also have training both voluntary and mandated to attend to.  There are also exercises to go out on, both with base and field units.

Hope that's more along what you're looking for.

MM

Just remember, PCP and "paramedic" work for a CF medic is one of the base skills of their job, that's why you do that training at the QL3 Level. Once you are at work in you place of employment, as MM stated below, you will work as part of a larger team providing a larger spectrum of health care beyond the prehospital work that PCP teaches you.

Rider Pride said:
Just remember, PCP and "paramedic" work for a CF medic is one of the base skills of their job, that's why you do that training at the QL3 Level.

No person, regardless of employer, is qualified as a Primary Care Paramedic in Ontario until they pass AEMCA:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_000257_e.htm#BK3

Med Techs will not be allowed access to On-car opportunities to complete their Maintenance of Clinical Skills Program ( MCSP ) in Ontario until they first pass QL5, and secondly pass AEMCA.

"Reference A is a confirmation letter by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch, recognizing the CF QL5 Med Tech as meeting the PCP requirements to challenge the AEMCA exam, all QL5 Med Techs are encouraged to prepare for and write this exam with approval through their Chain of Command. Upon successful completion of this exam, those Med Techs will have access to On-car opportunities to complete their MCSP in Ontario.":
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/hp-ps/mcsp-pmcc/AEMCA-eng.asp

Thanks guys.

Medicineman; That was exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you, I appreciate it very much.

Rider; yea from what I`ve been reading it seems as if Medics are more nurses or a hybrid of a paramedic/nurse in the CF.

You guys have been great, this alleviates a lot of the uncertainty...although much of it I`ll have to figure out in two years.

cheddar said:
Rider; yea from what I`ve been reading it seems as if Medics are more nurses or a hybrid of a paramedic/nurse in the CF.

There is no comparison, so in order to maintain your health, never ever compare a CF medic with a Nurse.

HA! Actually there are some similarities, but to avoid anymore net-threats I will plead ignorance, seeing as how I have no experience with the subject. 

As RP said, there aren't that many similarities and we've worked diligently for years to change that perception.

MM

cheddar said:

More on that, Cheddar.
"Candidates who either have successfully completed an Ontario Paramedic training program provided by an approved College or Training Institution or have been considered equivalent through the MOHLTC Equivalency Process, are eligible to write the MOHLTC AEMCA Theory examination. The eligibility is provisional, based on the following two conditions :

1. Number of attempts at the examination

2. Time elapsed since graduation:
Eligibility gained by either completing a Paramedic program, or by receiving equivalency status, is limited to twenty-four (24) months. Candidates who have not successfully completed the AEMCA Theory examination within twenty-four (24) months must enroll in a remedial program in order to renew their eligibility.":
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/exam_aemca.html#eligible

I don't believe I currently have competitive enough qualifications, but I was wondering if anyone knows what qualifications are important when applying to be a medical technician in a reserve unit? Thanks.

Right from the "Education Requirement: Non-Commissioned Member Occupations" sheet:

MOSID: 00334
OCCUPATIONS: MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
ABBREV: MED TECH
ELEMENT: ARMY/NAVY/AIR FORCE
SPEC PAY: SPEC PAY 1
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS (CIVILIAN APPLICANT): Must have High School Diploma or GED with Grade 12 Biology & one Gr 12 Science (Chemistry or Physics) & Math 11 & Possess a valid Drivers License

AFAIK Res MedTechs don't receive Spec Pay, due to the difference in training they get. There are also no NavRes MedTechs. The education requirements are correct though.

First off, mods if this should be under CF medical branch, please move it. I have looked at the education requirements on forces.ca, and a few threads on this sight, but have found conflicting information and been unable to confirm one fact: Do you need any high school physics credit to become a medical technician?

Yes, I have the minimum requirements, I was thinking more on the lines of what would make a competitive application.

If that's the minimum... well then that's "competitive."

You don't need a diploma in any kind of health related fields (although it would help). I guess First Aid training would give you a little edge. But when you apply, merit listed, complete BMQ and go onto Trades Training... you're trained everything you need to know anyway so... competitiveness isn't really something you need for many occupations in the CF (although Officers and application to RMC do need to be more competitive... but you'd be informed on what average competitive applicant looks like).

Back