• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

MOSID: 00334
OCCUPATIONS: MEDICAL TECHNICIAN
ABBREV: MED TECH
ELEMENT: ARMY/NAVY/AIR FORCE
SPEC PAY: SPEC PAY 1
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS (CIVILIAN APPLICANT): Must have High School Diploma or GED with Grade 12 Biology & one Gr 12 Science (Chemistry or Physics) & Math 11 & Possess a valid Drivers License

Your call.

If you only want to pick one, I'd say go with physics. Understanding the basics of Newtonian physics
will give you an analytical perspective on forces, mechanical energy, etc.
A systematic way of describing motion will enhance your ability to translate
your physical perceptions, which we all possess, into verbal expressions.

Dragooncadet said:
Thanks. That made just made my week, knowing that I don't have to take physics anymore.

While it says "Physics or Chemistry" I would suggest that you take both. You'll need them later in your career anyhow.

Dragooncadet said:
Do you need any high school physics credit to become a medical technician?

More on physics:
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+&btnG=Search#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=site:army.ca+med+tech+physics&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=27b93cf21cbb40b9&biw=1360&bih=594

ModlrMike said:
While it says "Physics or Chemistry" I would suggest that you take both. You'll need them later in your career anyhow.

The only reason I'm hesitant about taking physics is because math isn't exactly my best subject. But I've got one more year until I can take physics, so in the mean time I'll look into it more.
Thank You for the advice.

MC if you could post or send me that message number it would be much appreciated.  I have been trying unsuccessfully to find it in order to clarify the issue with some members of my unit. 

Thanks!

what does it mean "5 chemistry and physics credits", their is only 4 in high school and it does not say if they need to be college level or university level and it does not say about biology as well. Can any one tell me what i need University 11 and 12 or College 11 or 12 science courses. 

====Top of page Qualification Requirements

Medical Technicians must have completed high school with biology credits as well as secondary 5 chemistry and physics credits, and hold a current driver’s license====

Boz519 said:
what does it mean "5 chemistry and physics credits", their is only 4 in high school and it does not say if they need to be college level or university level and it does not say about biology as well. Can any one tell me what i need University 11 and 12 or College 11 or 12 science courses. 

====Top of page Qualification Requirements

Medical Technicians must have completed high school with biology credits as well as secondary 5 chemistry and physics credits, and hold a current driver’s license====

This question must literally be asked once a week.. but I can't be rude against it as I was one who asked as well. When I called the recruiting office.. I asked all your questions;

- They have to be University level courses
- "Secondary 5" Relates to the Quebec system
- Choose between Chem OR Phys.. however Bio is mandatory

do they have to be grade 12 or can they just be grade 11 or does one need both

Boz519 said:
do they have to be grade 12 or can they just be grade 11 or does one need both

It needs to be grade 12 in both.

Essentially in can be one of two combinations;

Grade 12 Bio + Grade 12 Chem

or

Grade 12 Bio + Grade 12 Phys.

Remember that to eventually get to these level courses you must first complete them in Grade 11.

oh man i got a lot of high school to get back in too... never thought i would go to college then back to high school lol ... thanks for the info bro it helps a lot!!

Boz519 said:
oh man i got a lot of high school to get back in too... never thought i would go to college then back to high school lol ... thanks for the info bro it helps a lot!!

Not a problem! If you have any more concerns call your local recruiting center!

Otherwise good luck with everything!

Cheddar -

Are you starting at Durham in September?  Good on you for getting in, admission to Durham's PCP program is very competitve indeed.  It's a great program and has an excellent reputation in the civillian paramedic world.  I'm currently in the preceptorship phase of Durham's advanced care paramedic program, and while I don't know everything about Durham's paramedic programs I know a bit.  If you have any questions about the school, PM me and I will try to help. 

Good luck!

cheddar said:
I know that I wont find out where I'm stationed until I complete my Paramedics program.

I know where you'll be temporarily stationed.  You'll be at Borden on PRETC (Post Recruit Education & Training Center) waiting for your 3's course to start.  Average wait for a medic right now to get on course after your done basic is 10-12 months regardless of if your semi-skilled.  There that backed up.  I know cause I'm loaded for the Feb 2012 3's course. 

You'd think so... but...

If he's applying to a reserve field amb unit, if there's a medical school of any sort nearby, you'll find the unit largely filled with students from said med school...

Best bet, go talk to the unit recruiter.

ModlrMike said:
AFAIK Res MedTechs don't receive Spec Pay, due to the difference in training they get. There are also no NavRes MedTechs. The education requirements are correct though.

I thought once you were a QL5 medic you received spec pay. Was a while ago I heard that.

Back