• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Media Bias [Merged]

SeaKingTacco, agree with tour assessment of CBC Radio Winnipeg/Vancouver. World Report, Quirks and Quarks, The House and Cross Country Checkup with Rex Murphy are good programs although I personally find The House bias somewhat. I used to listen to classical music on CBC FM. CBC also broadcasts after midnight, European and Australian national news/info shows e.g. Radio Prague, Australian Broadcasting Corporation.  The above represents few hours 24/7.

The BBM clearly indicates that the CBC has an exceptionally small number of listeners/watchers in every market in Canada, and it is further eroding.  Changes to radio programming have even alienated The Friends of CBC.

I do not know if it is still the case, but when there was an event to be covered, CBC sent crews from: local TV, the National TV, Newsworld TV, CBC Radio local and national, plus their compatriots from all the French CBC Radio and TV. The local private TV and radio stations and newspapers in Winnipeg complained that all the CBC employees outnumbered them in their entirety. I have attended at events and seen this.

Regarding http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090226.wcbc0226/BNStory/Front/home

“Of course leave it to the conservative Gov't to put the CBC in a position where will need to rely on American programming to survive.” This comment and the G & M article should have been posted in Radio Chatter, Whats the dumbest thing you heard said today?

To me, this is just subliminal anti-Americanism. Do not forget that 83% of our economy is exported to the US. If you are so Canadian content, then stop e.g. eating US imports during the winter.

The CBC cannot survive on Canadian content alone. The CBC should not be in the position to out bid Canadian private broadcasters for any kind of programming, especially US programming, with taxpayers dollars.

Sell the CBC TV. Keep CBC Radio, as one network, broadcasting on both AM and FM, in both languages (as well as special languages in Northern Canada). The AM/FM would be available to everyone in Canada and by shortwave to the world.

Come on people, you all know damn well that the CBC isn't biased.

ArmyVern said:
Come on people, you all know damn well that the CBC isn't biased.

Ya!!  And look at how much good the Liberals have done in Canada in the last 30 years!  And Kyoto is the only way we can save Mother Earth!!  And Al Gore should be the World President!

:peace: Man, this is some good stuff!!

So I forgot to add one thing,  to my prior statements,  so please for all my preceding comments, preface or conclude them with IMHO 

No worries, it was implied. If anyone else had your opinions, the CBC wouldn't be going down the tubes. 
;D

Rifleman62 said:
The BBM clearly indicates that the CBC has an exceptionally small number of listeners/watchers in every market in Canada, and it is further eroding.

Where did you see that?

See post http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18397.195.html for an example. Google BBM Canada. Fool around with the website to see some reports. You have to be a member to get their reports but you can see some of them.
Google BBM Canada and look at "News" for reports released to the media.

"To me, this is just subliminal anti-Americanism. Do not forget that 83% of our economy is exported to the US. If you are so Canadian content, then stop e.g. eating US imports during the winter."

I can understand that from a strategic point of view it is important to remain on good terms with the Americans, and hey I even like some of them.  I think that we need to celebrate diversity though and embrace what is uniquely Canadian, and continue to create a unique Canadian culture, which includes the CBC.

>I think that we need to celebrate diversity though and embrace what is uniquely Canadian, and continue to create a unique Canadian culture, which includes the CBC.

I think we ought to watch more Clint Eastwood movies.  You take your $20 of the $65,000,000 and give it to the CBC; I'll take mine and have a soda and popcorn while I watch Clint defend his classic Ford.

Canadian cultural content movies like Slumdog Millionaire, anyone?

BradCon said:
I think that we need to celebrate diversity though and embrace what is uniquely Canadian, and continue to create a unique Canadian culture, which includes the CBC.

You can think whatever you like, and I am here to defend that right, but you have no right to demand that "we" pay for your opinions (especially since I don't see you offering to pay for mine  ;))

Would you like to "celebrate diversity"? Put on a show or event. Maybe you will have to charge admission to cover your costs (and they will not be paying to see you and your show if you don't offer something the customers think is of value). This is the problem of the CBC, they (as indicated through their BBM numbers), no one will pay to see them, but since they do not have to cater to their customers (or more correctly their "customers" have become bureaucrats who provide their funding, not the viewers), they have no incentive to improve, and can use tax dollars to outbid private broadcasters for American shows and palatial headquarters.

BTW, how does purchasing American content "celebrate diversity though and embrace what is uniquely Canadian, and continue to create a unique Canadian culture?"

Although I believe Army.ca is not unique as other countries have similiar enities, you can "celebrate diversity though and embrace what is uniquely Canadian, and continue to create a unique Canadian culture" here. Subscribe to Army.ca  In this small way you WILL contribute to Canadian culture.

I like the CBC radio Metro Morning in Toronto with Andy Barrie. It is one of the top rated morning radio shows.
I like Being Erica on CBC TV and the At Issue panel on the National.
I think in the Martimes the CBC is the best network.

All IMHO just like most of the comments made on this thread.

As per money, most of the networks, particularly Canwest,  are under financial strain due to the present state of the economy and the internet.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2009/03/07/national-post-editorial-board-judging-harper-by-a-different-standard.aspx

National Post editorial board: Judging Harper by a different standard
Posted: March 07, 2009, 8:13 AM by NP Editor
Editorial, Full Comment Canadian politics

The double standard by which Ottawa’s Conservative government is judged has been put in unusually high relief by several recent examples of selective criticism. Compare, for example, the reactions to Ottawa’s early release of its deficit figures, and a similar announcement by Ontario’s Liberals.

When Prime Minister Stephen Harper had a federal official slip reporters the deficit figures several days before Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s  budget, he was raked over the coals by politicians and pundits alike. The CBC called it “an extraordinary step” given that budget secrecy is “legendary.” Liberal finance critic John McCallum said it was “grossly irresponsible.” An Ottawa newspaper stated categorically that it “undermined the credibility of its budget” and likely derived from “the government’s attempt to spin or manipulate public opinion.” A Montreal columnist said letting the figure out before markets closed was “stupid.”

Most famously, Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff derided it as “irresponsible and costly to our economy.”

I asked Mr. Harper not to play games like that. I told him, ‘Put the facts and figures on the table. Don’t let them slip out at his convenience.’ But the guy just can’t help himself. He thinks it is all some kind of political game,” complained Mr. Ignatieff.

Now consider the silence that greeted Ontario Finance Minister Dwight Duncan’s announcement this week of an $18-billion shortfall, four weeks before a budget is due. As with Ottawa, the number was revealed before markets closed: at a lunchtime speech stocked with reporters, in fact.

Nothing from Mr. Ignatieff. Zero from Mr. McCallum. No homilies from the CBC or Ottawa press.

It’s the just the latest example of the apparent eagerness to find fault with Mr. Harper for actions acceptable in more liberal politicians. The Prime Minister was similarly denounced when he suggested during the fall election that the decline in stock prices had produced “some great buying opportunities.” Jack Layton declared he couldn’t believe his ears. Stéphane Dion said it was evidence the Prime Minister was “insensitive and out of touch.”

When President Barack Obama made a similar statement this week, it went unremarked upon.

Mr. Obama has similarly adopted an approach to press conferences that reflects a model pioneered by Mr. Harper, but is much tougher. Both require a list of reporters seeking to ask questions. Canadian journalists decide amongst themselves who gets on the list and what questions to ask; in the U.S. the White House controls both. Mr. Harper was treated to months of hostile press when he introduced his system — some reporters still boycott The List. Mr. Obama has faced some grumbling at home, but nothing like the tantrums Mr. Harper endured. As is common with U.S. politicians, the President does not flinch from mentioning God; Mr. Harper was ridiculed when he began doing so.

Perhaps there’s a reason for this other than the age-old complaint about the press being infested with liberals. Mr. Obama is still relatively new on the scene, has high approval ratings and is enjoying a prolonged honeymoon, while Mr. Harper is not new, was never more than moderately popular and doesn’t like the press any more than they like him. But that doesn’t explain the free ride for Mr. McGuinty, who’s been around longer than the Prime Minister and recently advised reporters to stay at least five feet away when asking questions.

Most likely it’s the hothouse atmosphere in Ottawa. Parliamentary reporters spend their lives locked in a cold climate with the same 300-or-so MPs, of which they pay attention to only a handful. Same old arguments, same old posturing, day in and day out. They should get out more. See the country. Breath the air. Meet someone who isn’t the Prime Minister, or beholden to him.

It might improve their attitude.

National Post

Grab a shovel - its only the most recent example of how politicians (in all parties) have forgotten the menaing of 'stewardship'.  Its all about making the opposition look as bad as possible regardless of the effects on the general populaton...

Because I am the sort of person who thinks about that which he has said and is unafraid to admit that he has been wrong,  I'd like to change my prior assertion that  CBC was unbiased, to one that is more mature and less far fetched. 

My reanalysis of the situation concludes that I in fact do not think that the CBC is without  bias, rather the CBC has a bias that I align myself with more than other media agencies..  IMO CBC slants the news is such away that it persuade it's listeners to hold political belief that is reflective of a "good people".  The CBC challenges our nation to be empathetic and compassionate towards it's own citizenry and it is wary of thought or culture that would undermine those qualities.

By not promoting the ideals of mass consumption, environmental irresponsibility, zealous christian belief, or selfishness the CBC provides Canadians and International fans with the flavour of maple syrup, fresh air and clean water. It also tries to protect us from drowning in tailings ponds, suffocating from mass emissions, and becoming obese fast food junkies.

So Yes the CBC has a bias of which they are always taking suggestions from their audience on how to improve and; I don't always agree with everything the CBC says, I conclude that the CBC bias is one that is good for Canada

BradCon said:
Because I am the sort of person who thinks about that which he has said and is unafraid to admit that he has been wrong,  I'd like to change my prior assertion that  CBC was unbiased, to one that is more mature and less far fetched. 

My reanalysis of the situation concludes that I in fact do not think that the CBC is without  bias, rather the CBC has a bias that I align myself with more than other media agencies..  IMO CBC slants the news is such away that it persuade it's listeners to hold political belief that is reflective of a "good people".  The CBC challenges our nation to be empathetic and compassionate towards it's own citizenry and it is wary of thought or culture that would undermine those qualities.

By not promoting the ideals of mass consumption, environmental irresponsibility, zealous christian belief, or selfishness the CBC provides Canadians and International fans with the flavour of maple syrup, fresh air and clean water. It also tries to protect us from drowning in tailings ponds, suffocating from mass emissions, and becoming obese fast food junkies.

So Yes the CBC has a bias of which they are always taking suggestions from their audience on how to improve and; I don't always agree with everything the CBC says, I conclude that the CBC bias is one that is good for Canada

Sorry, I don't think we're buying whatever it is your smoking.

I DO know that I have to have a couple more Jaegermeisters to catch up to that poor bugger.

Enjoy yourself Brad ;D

Back