• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal Query about KAF

Given the various regulations, it's difficult to guarantee which medal you will receive; this chart illustrates some potential awards.

And ignore those 'medal-envy' people; they're likely jealous of those with operational time who've earned any of the medals on the chart.

No medal envy, just happy to be doing a non-naval deployment. My unit tasker knew how bad I wanted this, that she convinced another person who already had this position to take a different position that was more suited to their skills.

Journeyman said:
Given the various regulations, it's difficult to guarantee which medal you will receive; this chart illustrates some potential awards.

And ignore those 'medal-envy' people; they're likely jealous of those with operational time who've earned any of the medals on the chart.

Mother of Gawd.

What do I have to do to get me one of them "Beaver Clasps"? - I think I've earned it; do I get to write myself up?  8)

navypuke said:
No medal envy, just happy to be doing a non-naval deployment. My unit tasker knew how bad I wanted this, that she convinced another person who already had this position to take a different position that was more suited to their skills.

Just checking  :camo:.

MM

There are other Nations that receive their own Medal and the NATO medal for ComKAF. We are the only ones who do not receive both. The answer given to us was that it has been directed (from way up top in Ottawa) that we receive one medal for one tour, I personally agree totally with this policy.

Gramps said:
The answer given to us was that it has been directed (from way up top in Ottawa) that we receive one medal for one tour

Might want to rephrase that to "one medal for one operation".  I was one of the people who did the move from Kabul to Kandahar and received both the GCS and the SWASM as we were under two different operations.

i wonder if they're going to phase out the SWASM eventually. From a naval standpoint our operations aren't so much focussed on the Gulf anymore and more towards Africa, which sure isn't SW Asia.

Also there is a new medal coming down the pipe to replace the SSM, or at least augment it. Thats what the CANFLTPAC has said at one of his town hall meetings.

Just out of curiosity, I left KAF before I got my medal (Became eligible in Feb, it was ordered 1 March)....how long do they take to be engraved and presented?

Catalyst said:
Just out of curiosity, I left KAF before I got my medal (Became eligible in Feb, it was ordered 1 March)....how long do they take to be engraved and presented?

The chief clerk at your unit should be able to get this answer for you. Ninety days is not unreasonable given the number of pers involved. I seem to recall that my clerk ordered ours in May and got them in Aug.

Back