• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Med Tech's on SQ?

medic269

Inactive
Reaction score
I've done some searching online as well as in here and haven't found too much info on this.  Ive just been accepted as semi skilled into the reg force as a med tech and am wondering how many have actually done their SQ.  On the Jobs website in the recruiting area it uses the phrase "once you have completed BMQ you MAY go to one of the CFB to complete SQ....".  In the video for med tech they make no mention of SQ at all.  I've then seen videos of SQ with Med Tech's on there.  Im hoping to do a tour and get some field experience so I almost scrapped the semi skilled med tech idea and went right into infantry.  My recruiter advised against that idea, so my question is does anyone know if all or any med tech's are taking their SQ, and if so, is it only a certain percentage of them? Thanks in advance.

From what I've seen Med Techs(Army, Navy and Air Force) take SQ.

A lot(all?) of the videos make no mention of SQ, most likely because it is being removed(least what I heard) because of the new/enhanced BMQ.

When I went to the recruiting centre a few months ago to enquire about CTing to reg force med tech, they couldn't really give me a straight answer about whether med techs do SQ.  Things may have changed and/or they weren't sure whether or not I would have to do sq or be bypassed.

Everyone in the Army is now required to have SQ. You may do it in basic or some where else but the bottom line is you will get it done somewhere. (Dont take this as gospel this is just what I heard when I did mine)

Okay folks: I'll bite.

What the hell is SQ--I means is see in the index of mil terms it's Soldier Qualification--but is that what we used to call Battle School? 

I know that about ten (fifteen?) yrs ago, the inf bns actually ran  their own battle schools and experimented with doing the BMQ right there, which I thought was an excellent idea, but it eventually got scrapped by brass who felt the army shouldn't be getting "special" basic when the poor ol' air and navy took a common course.  Was SQ created to make soldiers out of the BMQ grads? 

Aside from toughening you up, what courses does it teach that are not taught at BMQ?  I can guess, but I'm trying to figure how the course load would be distributed between BMQ and SQ.

Lots of questions, all motivated only by curiousity, and I apologize. Been out of the loop a looong time I guess. Good luck.

Signalman150 said:
Okay folks: I'll bite.

What the hell is SQ--I means is see in the index of mil terms it's Soldier Qualification--but is that what we used to call Battle School? 

I know that about ten (fifteen?) yrs ago, the inf bns actually ran  their own battle schools and experimented with doing the BMQ right there, which I thought was an excellent idea, but it eventually got scrapped by brass who felt the army shouldn't be getting "special" basic when the poor ol' air and navy took a common course.  Was SQ created to make soldiers out of the BMQ grads? 

Aside from toughening you up, what courses does it teach that are not taught at BMQ?  I can guess, but I'm trying to figure how the course load would be distributed between BMQ and SQ.

Lots of questions, all motivated only by curiousity, and I apologize. Been out of the loop a looong time I guess. Good luck.

There are a bunch of threads on this around here, but no SQ is NOT battle school.  It is for lack of a better term an "advanced" "soldiering" skills course for everyone wearing green (support weapons, basic level attacks/patrols etc).  Battle school is still around for people going reg infantry, and it goes above and beyond SQ.  It is run by each regiment for thier own troops. Thats it in a nutshell, I am sure the folks who run the courses in Meaford, Wainwright and wherever the Vandoos do it, will be along shortly to add/clarify.

I currently instruct on SQ's so I can answer a couple of questions here. All medics whether Army, Navy , or Air Force complete the SQ. The reason being medics regardless of which arm they come from can be posted to a field unit. Hence the reason they take the SQ.

The Infantry runs their own SQ's while the Arty, Armoured, Engineer, EME's , Medics, MP's as a whole do a somewhat shorter course. IE: without the Carl -G.

Ok that helps, it was one of those grey area's the recruiting site did an excellent job of keeping foggy.  Thanks for the assistance guys.

Back