• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

May BMOQ?

For the person going Logistic and AEC, the latter is a better chpice IMHO. Most of the folks I know that went LOGO, ended up in places they didn't want.

Also note that once you finish BOTP, your first posting out of st jean is going to be 3yrs, which means it's a full move for you. Perhaps you like SHILO? :)

Can you give examples of the places they didnt want?  Also compare that to where AECs end up and why those are better locations.  That information would be very helpful.

So August it is then is it? I was merit listed for AEC last week, so I was told that my (Calgary) recruiting center would do what they could to get me in for May. August does sound like it would be nicer weather to train through though. I did get all excited though that I would be going for May. I finished school and had no clue as to what I wanted to do with my life and I have been sitting for one (or four) too many years in a job that is not the greatest 'fit' for me. I am so excited to have the opportunity to do something else! Also to have the chance to push myself and really see what I am made of! I am fiercly competitive when I feel that something real is at stake. Corporate bonus for perfomance, sure I'll take it... The chance to push my body and win respect, I am all over it!!

ltmaverick25 said:
Can you give examples of the places they didnt want?  Also compare that to where AECs end up and why those are better locations.  That information would be very helpful.

Logistics folks don't really get a ay in where they end up, they post you to where they need people of your trade, be it air force, navy or army base, even if you are any of the elements.

Put it this way Shilo is the PITs, nothing there really and imagine getting stuck there for 3yrs

Shilo is not that bad, Brandon is very close, there is worst spots, Pet comes to mind for me, Nothing really there except for Pembroke, which sucks compared to Brandon. Yes Ottawa is "down" the road, but who wants to spend every weekend in a hotel?
Also, I believe your first posting after St J. will be to where you do your next phase or trade training, then you get posted somewhere for 3ish years!
I know for Combat arms, that's how it is, unless you have to do French like we used too, the you stayed in St J for awhile longer!

Bigg_H said:
So August it is then is it? I was merit listed for AEC last week, so I was told that my (Calgary) recruiting center would do what they could to get me in for May. August does sound like it would be nicer weather to train through though. I did get all excited though that I would be going for May. I finished school and had no clue as to what I wanted to do with my life and I have been sitting for one (or four) too many years in a job that is not the greatest 'fit' for me. I am so excited to have the opportunity to do something else! Also to have the chance to push myself and really see what I am made of! I am fiercly competitive when I feel that something real is at stake. Corporate bonus for perfomance, sure I'll take it... The chance to push my body and win respect, I am all over it!!

Thats the right attitude, but dont discount May just yet.  Nobody here is saying its going to happen.  You will all learn pretty quickly that nobody in the military likes to make any guarentees because they know that as soon as they do, someone higher up or else where will change it all and make them look stupid.  Lack of certainty doesnt mean no, it just means that you will get your offer the day before your course starts....

It seems stupid, but alot of these things do come through at the last minute.

ruckmarch said:
For the person going Logistic and AEC, the latter is a better chpice IMHO. Most of the folks I know that went LOGO, ended up in places they didn't want.

Also note that once you finish BOTP, your first posting out of st jean is going to be 3yrs, which means it's a full move for you. Perhaps you like SHILO? :)

Personally I think I would prefer AEC over LOG anyway, and I believe my chances of getting a LOG spot in May is fairly slim at best - not that I don't have a competitive app... lol.  However, both appeal to me in different aspects, though the thought of doing survival training in relation to my aircrew status excites me :), and the chance to work aboard an AWACS  would be a dream!

As for postings, it doesn't matter to me if I get posted to Shilo, Pet, etc., I lived in Pet before, I have lived 8 hours north of Winnepeg, and overseas.

Whats this talk about survival training for AECs?  I didnt think they had any such requirement?

Formulasteel said:
Is North Bay the only place you can go if AEC's choose Weapons?

Read the threads in the air force forums for support trades.  They talk alot about that stuff.  Based on what I saw there it seems that an AEC weapons guy would spend his first posting in North Bay after trades training..

ltmaverick25 said:
Whats this talk about survival training for AECs?  I didnt think they had any such requirement?

If AECs get posted to an AWACS billet, they will be required to take the sea survival course and basic SERE course. They can also be sent on advanced SERE course.

AMT (aeromedical training ) is not a "survival" course per say but it is definately (IMHO) about your own survival.

Back to BMOQ

Of the 3 serials [for ROTP?] (IIRC) being run in May, it'll be interesting to see how all the RMC/CMR people get loaded on. I'm a hopin for the 18th, no waiting will be involved around campus, seeing as the grad parade is May 15.

Edit: thats a lot of brackets...

Just got off the phone with CFRC Windsor. The May courses are full. I was asked to change to NCM Aerospace Controller, if I wanted to leave within 2 weeks. I decided to stay with the Officer career, and will wait until August when the course runs again. She said there may be another opportunity to run another Spring course, but didn't sound too optomistic.

Still haven't heard of my date yet. Hope I made it on to one of those 3 in May.  If not, I wonder what an untrained ocdt would do during the summer  ???

I don't believe it to be a problem of the courses being "full" per se, but more that the billets available are pre-destined for last year's ROTP selection.  I say this because no one here has their course date yet (that I've seen at least) and because I know I've been told I'll be sent this summer.  Likely symantics, but there it is.  If you want to pursue an officer career stream, hold on for that - there is no reason to settle for less, unless it is permanently unavailable to you.  I can attest from personal experience that it is not an easy task to change occupations/components once you're in, so start from where you want to start, not where you plan on re-starting from.

I was given my course date in the form of an "unofficial offer" near the end of January. I was told I will receive the official offer in early March. I will be starting May 5th with a swear in date of March 30th. I find it somewhat odd that I am the only one on this forum that has heard anything, although I am new to the process and really have no idea how it works.

I do know that I am EXTREMELY excited and have been training hard this last month and will continue to do so until May!

Corps of Guides said:
I don't believe it to be a problem of the courses being "full" per se, but more that the billets available are pre-destined for last year's ROTP selection.  I say this because no one here has their course date yet (that I've seen at least) and because I know I've been told I'll be sent this summer.  Likely symantics, but there it is.  If you want to pursue an officer career stream, hold on for that - there is no reason to settle for less, unless it is permanently unavailable to you.  I can attest from personal experience that it is not an easy task to change occupations/components once you're in, so start from where you want to start, not where you plan on re-starting from.

This is good advice, if being an officer is what you want, hold out for that.  Just because its possible to commission from the ranks does not mean it will happen.  The unfortunate reality is that its much easier to commission coming in off the street.

Corey Darling said:
Still haven't heard of my date yet. Hope I made it on to one of those 3 in May.  If not, I wonder what an untrained ocdt would do during the summer  ???

Corey, I received the list of summer trg dates for Air Ops people from my ULO.  You are on the list, scheduled 4 May-14 Aug, along with myself and what seems like the majority.  PM me your email if you would like me to forward the message.

I received a list for Land Ops as well but it was mentioned in the email that it is not written in stone yet. This is just what they're looking at. Right now I'm schedualed for 4 May - 14 Aug as well.

Back