• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

May /05 DEO Selection

U

Uberman

Anyone else out there waiting on the May DEO selection Board? If so, what have you heard on the numbers being selected and the course start date?

im waiting on  the may 05 BMQ as well....i heard near the end of april theyre doing theyre selecting

I just got back from CFRC Vancouver like an hour ago and they showed me a list with the projected intake numbers for DEO.  He didn't tell me when the selection board would meet.

Infantry: 60
Armour: 15
Arty: 18

These were the numbers if I remember correctly....they could be off on the Armour and Arty by one or two but I remember that Infantry was 60 for sure.

I think Kincanucks had posted a list of numbers a while back, but I think the numbers may have changed somewhat since the last post. My RC told me my trade of choice went from 20 slots needed to 16.  If there is an update out there, would be cool to see it. My understanding of it is that it doesn't matter how good you are , but rather how good you are as compared to the other persons applying at the same time. Kind of like an MCAT or LSAT.

Best of luck to all -

DEO is the Direct Entry Officer - applying for an Officer MOC when you already have a University Degree.

Infantry: 60
Armour: 15
Arty: 18

Some additional numbers from my recruiter only a couple days old:

Engineer: 15
Signals: 40
MARS: 60

Was told the selection board starts looking at the files middle of May, and should start to hear back in June. When I asked about BOTC times, was told that really depends as BOTC can be run a few times a year. It is also possible you can get selected and sworn in, but will be pushed into later BOTC course. So who knows.

I am waiting for the DEO board (for Pilot), but I was told that all of the boards have been pushed-back until June (6 - 10, in my case) ... only other case is that when/if they get a big influx of applications, they will sometimes do it on an ad-hoc basis ... and that the rumours (oh God!) were that the summer courses were full.

Those DEOs selected on the Jun boards will go to IAP/BOTP in Sept and/or Jan.

*Sigh*

Man, only a few more weeks to go fellow DEO applicants. I have been hurrying up and waiting for almost 1  1/2 years and  now, the fact that it is almost complete seems a little surreal to me.

Curious to know how long the rest of you have been in the process?

For myself, the physical preparation was a huge obstacle. I worked very hard, and gained a much needed and healthy 55 pounds! (no joke, i was severely underweight) I went from barely being able to run 1km without nearly dying, to running 10km races with decent times.

So, what have you people been doing with your time?

Pie man: Been staying motivated (physically) and mentally (reading up on military history, etc).

Kincanucks: I guess I'll be going in Sept if thats the deal for June boards. Where did you hear that? If so I guess that means I'll miss my son's birth in Sept. Can't have it all I guess!

reality_therapy said:
Pie man: Been staying motivated (physically) and mentally (reading up on military history, etc).

Kincanucks: I guess I'll be going in Sept if thats the deal for June boards. Where did you hear that? If so I guess that means I'll miss my son's birth in Sept. Can't have it all I guess!

I don't know maybe five years of working in recruiting gives you access to certain information.

Been staying motivated (physically) and mentally (reading up on military history, etc).
Yes, I have been doing the same. Keeping motivated for such a long time is not an easy task. I definitely had my ups and downs. It is bad when I hit a down part because it makes it that much harder to maintain my work out routine. Thankfully, all I have to do is pop in a good war movie or if it gets really bad I go visit the regimental museum here in Calgary. I find that reminds me why I am joining in the first place and gets me back on track.

Man...it is kind of like I am brainwashing myself to keep going. lol. It will be worth it in the end.

reality_therapy said:

kincanucks said:
I don't know maybe five years of working in recruiting gives you access to certain information.

reality_therapy, the profiles are there for a reason ...  ;D

Hey guys,

I found out back in March that I was selected DEO Pilot for September in St. Jean. So now I have 4 months to get ready. It took me over a year and a half to finally find out, but it's been worth the wait. I can relax, enjoy the summer and prepare. If anyone else is going for Sept. 12th course get back to me.

R.

I'm in on the 12th as well, MARS.  There's 35 or so of us, if I remember correctly, going to that BOTC.  Oh, and for those interested, there are a total of 67 DEO positions available for MARS, so if you make the fall NOAB, they're still looking pretty hard.  :)

T

Torlyn

Queston...explain what MARS & NOAB are (I quote) "there are a total of 67 DEO positions available for MARS, so if you make the fall NOAB, they're still looking pretty hard"...

and does anyone know if applicants accepted in the June selection boards will be attending on Sept 10th or 12th? (I have seen both dates quoted) 

I call the RC last week for an update and was told to call back in a month and just sit tight...I'm just jumping to find out if my dream is going to become reality in Sept.

MARS - Maritime Surface & Subsurface Officer, 071 Navy.  :)

NOAB - Naval Officer Assessment Board - You must go through this to be offered a position as a MARS officer, or a Naval Engineering Officer.  The NOAB sits (usually) twice a year.  Our board sat from May 2-7th, we're given tacit offers on the friday.

The Commanders doing the NOAB informed us that there were a total of 67 MARS positions available for this year.  Given that 35 were taken, they will probably be picking up the rest at the next NOAB, which is to be at a future date.  (THey didn't tell us) 

The two dates are quoted, as most of us will be travelling to St. Jean on the 10th (Saturday) and will be starting the actual IAP stuff on the 12th (Monday).  hope that helps.

Tim

Thanks for the explainations Torlyn...I'm a bit slow on some of the abbreviations.

Guess that info doesn't apply to me as I applied for the army...not sure if that makes a different to BOTC start dates. I'm applying for DEO Social Worker. That selection board is on June 20th.

RT  :warstory:

Back