• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Math for Combat Engineers (merged)

Still nothing wrong with displaying a little personal initiative and doing something to correct a recognized weakness. You identified the problem, now do something about it.  :salute:

Thanks guys, makes me feel a little less worried. :)

CForr, that is my plan. I would like to find a math tutor for the few months while my application is being processed so that I may have a little more familiarity with math. What type of math would you recommend improvement on? Geometry? Trig?

Cheers,

Patrick

There is trg available  at all levels , and I think CHIMO!! would agree it is lacking in many areas. Do what you can to sort out the problem first.

"Admitting you have a problem is the first step"!!!  :gunner:

Patrick H. said:
... What type of math would you recommend improvement on? Geometry? Trig? ...

Good man! An attitude like that will get you places. Basic stuff like Algebraic Equations, Formulas, Geometry will help. Trig not so much. All the stuff you learned up to Gr 10 should cover most. Good luck .

Thanks man, and maybe I'll see ya some point as a Sapper. =)

Cheers,

Patrick

I'll be in the reviewing stand relaxing with all the spectators.  ;D

Don't sweat the math, lots of dumb guys have gone before you, learn how to sharpen a chainsaw, it is a lost art!!!! ;D :cdn: ;)

I would like to find a math tutor for the few months while my application is being processed so that I may have a little more familiarity with math. What type of math would you recommend improvement on? Geometry? Trig?  

I used to tutor math and physics a bit while in University. If you find math difficult I found that often the best advice I gave my students was:

1) Don't ask why. You don't want to know 'why'. You want to know 'How' . When you get more math under your belt, then try to understand 'why'.

2) At your stage, math is a set of rules. Follow the rules and you will be fine.

3) Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. If you do a question wrong ,do it over again 3 times. Do all the exercises you can get you hands on and do it until it becomes second nature.

4) Remember that Math is a tool. (like a hammer or a weapon) Once you got a grip on it you can do amazing things with it. Like blowing up bridges as the Combat Engineers do here ;)

Getting a Tutor can be very helpful, but remember, no one can make you understand math. You have to sit down and let your brain filter the info. Do it enough and it will sort it out.

Good luck with your application! I got my name in also for an Engineer Officer.

That is very true, Pieman. I should sit down with some equations and really figure out how they work. Atleast, relearn all the ways to solve problems without a calculator. It is a total lapse in consciousness.

Good luck to you as well! Where are you posted to?

Thanks again everyone, all the advice really helps.

Cheers,

Patrick

Good luck to you as well! Where are you posted to?
Thanks. I am just a civvie like you, so I am posted no where. I guess after BOTC all of my training will be in Gaugetown, not sure what happens after that. Guess I go where they tell me.

Yup, we'll be doing a lot of the things they tell us. :D

Bring it on, I say!

Cheers,

Patrick

You'll be doing ALL of the things they tell you.  >:D  ;D

Hey guy,

I'm interested in become a Sapper, and i've read that mathematics ( above average) is required to advance in this MOC.  My question is, how much mathematics is involved in the work that you do?  Haven't done math in 7 years and i'm just wondering what to expect as a Reg force Combat Engineer if i end up pursuing that direction.  Thank you.

Algebra is a must for demo calcs and a zillion other Engineer functions.  Geometry is a necessity for bridge design, laying out curves in roads, surveying,  field defence construction, and employing field engines.  Physics also plays a large part in our work. You can't defy physical laws if you don't understand them  ;D  At the very least, get some kind of math refresher at a local college.

Kat

Kat,

Wow, you were actually quite nice in your reply to Mellow....where's the sarcasm?  Cat got your tongue?  :blotto:

Mellow,

Kat is bang on.  No need for Gr 12 Calculus but you do need to understand and excel at both math and writing if you expect to pass the Recce Sgt course (old QL6A).

S6 out.

You know how it is Rod, gotta throw the younguns a bone every now and then.  It keeps 'em off balance... >:D

CHIMO,  Kat

Someone at the recruiting office told me that, while grade 10 math is all that is needed, college or university math are huge assets when applying to be a combat engineer.

I wasn't exactly "focused" in high school and math was my weakest subject. I didn't do a page more than I had to. I don't have any math passed grade 10. I'd like to upgrade to a college level through online courses, correspondence, night school, etc. Whatever I can find.
I was wondering if anybody had any other suggestions?  Or if you know of any online courses that would be good?
Does it have to be Canadian university level? Is it different if I go through an American website?

Basically my fear is that I will spend a lot of time and money on a math course and it will turn out not to be considered "legitimate" by the CF. Or that it will be the wrong area of math or something. I just want to be sure about what I'm doing. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Back