• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

Tape said:
Any job can be rewarding as long you like what you're doing. In my opinion, becoming a member of the Canadian Forces regardless of what trade is rewarding.

And yet there are people in every single trade that discovered, after the shine of just "becoming a member" wore off, that they were stuck in a trade that didn't do what they thought it did, or that was a bad fit for their personality and preferences. Choosing a trade carefully is important, the problems arise when people think the recruiting video sales job shows everyday life (they rarely do) or when they rely on the opinions of others who may not be like them (hence they made different choices). It doesn't matter how much you enjoy Call of Duty, if that's someone's rationale for wanting to be in the infantry, they're going to have a very different outlook the first time they dig a hole in the rain to sleep in, or get marched to the vehicle hanger for the third time in a week to sweep the place out. The recruiting videos are a good start, but each trade needs to be researched to find the down side, and then to decide if that part is survivable. A smart candidate approaches this with an open mind and looks for a trade that matches their personality.

Michael O'Leary said:
...... the first time they dig a hole in the rain to sleep in, or get marched to the vehicle hanger for the third time in a week to sweep the place out...
And there are some negative things too, not just these good bits!  ;D

PMedMoe said:
$150 per course?  I'd do some more searching.  There's plenty of "work at your own pace" high school courses that are free (except for possibly a small fee when you write your tests).  Look for adult education/high school in your area.

I must have misread the website. It said ages over 20 pay $40 whereas others pay $100 to $500 depending on whether or not they're in Canada, if they're not a citizen, etc.
Regardless, money isn't an issue here.

Thanks for the reply.

Delaney1986 said:
Don't forget you need to qualify for the trade you want by writing the CFAT (aptitude test). I'm not sure about the specifics for basic education - but getting your high school diploma could never hurt you. Go talk to the recruiters and see what they say.

Hope everything works out for you!

I went to the closest CFRC a while back, my guess is 3 years ago, I applied for reserves at that moment. It seemed I had passed the CFAT and was able to choose from the 3 jobs that I had selected, however I didn't get beyond that point because I had failed the PT test required at the time. It was most certainly because I was a scrawny little kid at the time. Now I'm older, stronger, and ready. But because of my school related issues (in terms of lack of credits) I'm "legally an idiot" as what some might call it.

sappermcfly said:
I tend to disagree with some of the other responses. A high school diploma is not required. Don't stress about it. You have enough credits already and as far as competition is concerned, while that may be true, I would say that past health issues are a bigger concern. Doing well on the cfat as well.

However, in terms of ranking, I guess an education would be recommended.
As far as I can tell, I have no problems with the CFAT. I have no prior medical history that limits my ability to perform any action.

My only concern is education as well as the interview, but that's another story for a different day.

I thank you for your opinion and reply.

And for those who have an issue with the triple post I just made, I'm on my phone in the bathroom. Editing is not an option.

Sharp said:
I must have misread the website. It said ages over 20 pay $40 whereas others pay $100 to $500 depending on whether or not they're in Canada, if they're not a citizen, etc.
Regardless, money isn't an issue here.

Thanks for the reply.

Just saying, if I didn't have to pay, then I wouldn't.  Here is a link for the Toronto District School Board eLearning for those over 18 years of age, not attending a public school: http://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/elearning/e-Credit18.aspx

PMedMoe said:
Just saying, if I didn't have to pay, then I wouldn't.  Here is a link for the Toronto District School Board eLearning for those over 18 years of age, not attending a public school: http://schoolweb.tdsb.on.ca/elearning/e-Credit18.aspx

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
What I've done is already paid for the service and filled out the necessary form(s) for ILC this morning. I'm expecting my first unit work within the next week. I'm gonna try this one out first and then work my way towards the service you suggested. I guess I'll share my thoughts on it here or maybe some form of education forum.

The ILC (TVO) building is about 10 minutes away from the Toronto CFRC. I'll head back down there (CFRC) in the near future when I have time to ask for more info in regards to education, etc.

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. I would leave this thread open for anyone who may also be in the same scenario and is looking for more information from a much more definitive source (other people).

Michael O'Leary said:
And yet there are people in every single trade that discovered, after the shine of just "becoming a member" wore off, that they were stuck in a trade that didn't do what they thought it did, or that was a bad fit for their personality and preferences. Choosing a trade carefully is important, the problems arise when people think the recruiting video sales job shows everyday life (they rarely do) or when they rely on the opinions of others who may not be like them (hence they made different choices). It doesn't matter how much you enjoy Call of Duty, if that's someone's rationale for wanting to be in the infantry, they're going to have a very different outlook the first time they dig a hole in the rain to sleep in, or get marched to the vehicle hanger for the third time in a week to sweep the place out.

That is exactly why he said:
Tape said:
Any job can be rewarding as long you like what you're doing. In my opinion, becoming a member of the Canadian Forces regardless of what trade is rewarding

You are definitely right that some people dislike their actual occupations and that is why Tape and I were adamant about finding something you like. Because no occupation will be without its rewards if you enjoy it.

Michael O'Leary said:
The recruiting videos are a good start, but each trade needs to be researched to find the down side, and then to decide if that part is survivable. A smart candidate approaches this with an open mind and looks for a trade that matches their personality.

Completely agree. I most certainly have looked for the negatives as well as the positives when researching my occupational preferences. One or two have actually since been eliminated after learning about the day-today stuff as it was not for me.

I think the most universal profession/occupation would probably be infantry. Whether or not if you're operating a LAV, firing mortars, or patching up a wound, infantry seems to touch on every aspect either exceedingly minimally or greatly. Sure there are some things that the infantry doesn't take part in, but it still makes its way through multiple professions.

I guess infantry is the way to go and also one step closer to becoming a sniper.

Education is important. I applied to the military +- 4 years ago with my grade 11 education and no diploma. I had applied to become an ATIS Tech, a trade where part of the training was/is considered to be one of the most difficult courses in the Canadian Armed Forces academically.

I got up to being nearly merit listed for that trade without my diploma. However, I did go and get my GED not because I had to, but because I wanted to ensure my competitiveness. Maybe I only did it so I could say I did it, I don't know.

Everyone above is correct with what they're saying. Don't count yourself out. Show initiative and don't just strive for what you think you're qualified for or what would guarantee entry. Right now it may be hardest to get into Infantry based on the lack of combat missions or tours going on. Look at something that if you leave the military, you could bring with you.

sappermcfly said:
I tend to disagree with some of the other responses. A high school diploma is not required. Don't stress about it. You have enough credits already and as far as competition is concerned, while that may be true, I would say that past health issues are a bigger concern. Doing well on the cfat as well.

A high school diploma may not be "required", but will give you good standing in your merit assessment. Rest assured that others in the applicant pool are doing all they can to enhance their chances - so should you.

I was wondering if anyone on here either has a link or could point me in the right direction if I was looking for the specific education requirements for all the occupations? I will explain, I went in to the recruiting office today to add a 3rd occupation choice to my application, I wanted to add Cook. On forces.ca it says that the education requirements for Cooks are Grade 11. I have my high school diploma.  The Clerk at the recruiting office pulled up a document on the computer with all the requirements and said that I need Grade 12 math, which I only have grade 11 Math. Does anyone know if I can get that document with all the exact education requirements?

Thanks

jordandixon3 said:
I wanted to add Cook. On forces.ca it says that the education requirements for Cooks are Grade 11. I have my high school diploma.  The Clerk at the recruiting office pulled up a document on the computer with all the requirements and said that I need Grade 12 math, which I only have grade 11 Math.
Thanks

I do not have the "form" you seek but I can quench your confusion though. The requirements on Forces.ca are the bare minimum for every trade (technically the "exact requirements" ...just the lowest required). This means that even if you have have "more" than what is online you may still only be considered an average applicant at best. There is often a fair [keep in perspective] difference between the bare minimum and the ideal candidate. The recruiter may have simply been saving you both some time by not adding in a trade you would not be competitive for.

Thanks for the reply,

I find that a lot of occupations in the CF require more than if I were to do the same thing outside of the military. I have a lot of experience as a cook but because I don't have grade 12 math, I can't do it in the CF, kinda crazy to me but it is what it is...... ???

jordandixon3 said:
Thanks for the reply,

I find that a lot of occupations in the CF require more than if I were to do the same thing outside of the military. [color=yellowI have a lot of experience as a cook but because I don't have grade 12 math, I can't do it in the CF, kinda crazy to me [/color] but it is what it is...... ???

My pleasure for sure!

Oh really? That is very interesting. Perhaps DAA could chime in on this? :)

KerryBlue said:
Do you "have a college diploma in food services or culinary arts?"
No I don't have college or anything, the Clerk asked me that too at the RC, but I think what gets me is that if you get offered a position as a Cook in the CF, you go through an apprenticeship the same as you would outside of the military. It's taking someone who has little or no experience and training them to become a licensed Cook.

Anyway, I am looking into other occupations to add as my 3rd choice, its just a little hard when the website doesn't give the exact education requirements....

jordandixon3 said:
No I don't have college or anything, the Clerk asked me that too at the RC, but I think what gets me is that if you get offered a position as a Cook in the CF, you go through an apprenticeship the same as you would outside of the military. It's taking someone who has little or no experience and training them to become a licensed Cook.

Anyway, I am looking into other occupations to add as my 3rd choice, its just a little hard when the website doesn't give the exact education requirements....

Yes but you already have theory and formal training that is provided to you by a College program. While you may have experience and the minimum education, the minimum is often just that. A minimum level, it also states on the website that there are two entry programs for Cook, direct entry meaning you have a degree already. Or NCM-SEP which is the army paying for you to get a diploma.

The website may not give the exact education because in many cases their isn't anything exact, for say infantry. Their is no school where you can learn to be a solider. 

KerryBlue said:
Yes, but if you attend college you already have theory and formal training that is provided to you by a College program. While you may have experience and the minimum education, the minimum is often just that. A minimum level, it also states on the website that there are two entry programs for Cook, direct entry meaning you have a degree already. Or NCM-SEP which is the army paying for you to get a diploma.

The website may not give the exact education because in many cases their isn't anything exact, for say infantry. Their is no school where you can learn to be a solider.

I completely agree that by having college or some formal training would be a big plus, but, maybe if they would allow people who DO have the minimum requirements for an occupation to apply, the occupation wouldn't be in demand as the website states (however, the site may not be updated). Rather than saying, you meet the minimum BUT we want you to have more.

Back