• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

Tape said:
That's not a lot. One course is like a credit for you, right?

If you plan on doing "ILC" then you should do some volunteering and maybe work too. So when you decide to join the Forces, your application will stand out more.

At the moment I do work. Making that minimum wage ($10.25/hr) from the typical 9 am to 5 pm.
Volunteering is something I'm kind of forced to do, since it's a requirement to graduate. I need to look into that some more (thank you for indirectly reminding me).

Goose15 said:
You should most definitely get these credits and get your high school diploma. Getting into the Forces is incredibly competitive these days and not having a high school diploma could/would be a large disadvantage to you.

I'll look into it. Seems to be around $150-ish per course (per credit).
http://www.ilc.org/school/cou_how_courses_work.php

Thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like I'm going back to school, sort of.
I was an idiot for dropping out. I hope I can redeem myself.

Sharp said:
Thanks for the reply.

Here are my options. Suggestions?

Choose something that you would be happy doing of 20-25 years. Do NOT choose something just to get in.

Goose15 said:
Choose something that you would be happy doing of 20-25 years. Do NOT choose something just to get in.

That's an obvious. I was just asking if anyone had any feedback or experience in terms the roles listed in the image.

Thanks for the reply.

Sharp said:
That's an obvious. I was just asking if anyone had any feedback or experience in terms the roles listed in the image.

Thanks for the reply.

There are details about all the trades throughout the forums. Do you have any specific questions? Because with all the above occupations that is a very broad question.

Sharp said:
At the moment I do work. Making that minimum wage ($10.25/hr) from the typical 9 am to 5 pm.
Volunteering is something I'm kind of forced to do, since it's a requirement to graduate. I need to look into that some more (thank you for indirectly reminding me).

Thanks for the advice, guys. Looks like I'm going back to school, sort of.
I was an idiot for dropping out. I hope I can redeem myself.

No problem, dude. Hope it all goes well for you. We all make mistakes and it's not the end of world. You still have time to improve.

Goose15 said:
There are details about all the trades throughout the forums. Do you have any specific questions? Because with all the above occupations that is a very broad question.

While you're here, I might as well ask.

I'm not looking for the easiest or the hardest, in fact, I'm not looking for anything based on difficulty.
My question is, which profession is the most rewarding? I'm not talking about monetary rewards. I'm talking about that feeling you get when you changed the world in one way or another. All hippie jokes aside.
Things like "Postal Clerk" doesn't seem to provide any usefulness (to me). Not that I'm mocking whomever works in that profession.

Tape said:
No problem, dude. Hope it all goes well for you. We all make mistakes and it's not the end of world. You still have time to improve.

Thanks. It's never too late for anything.

Sharp said:
While you're here, I might as well ask.

I'm not looking for the easiest or the hardest, in fact, I'm not looking for anything based on difficulty.
My question is, which profession is the most rewarding? I'm not talking about monetary rewards. I'm talking about that feeling you get when you changed the world in one way or another.
Things like "Postal Clerk" doesn't seem to provide any usefulness (to me). Not that I'm mocking whomever works in that profession.

Any job can be rewarding as long you like what you're doing. In my opinion, becoming a member of the Canadian Forces regardless of what trade is rewarding.

Tape said:
Any job can be rewarding as long you like what you're doing. In my opinion, becoming a member of the Canadian Forces regardless of what trade is rewarding.
:goodpost:

What Tape said is exactly right. Apart from the fact serving your country is rewarding, what is rewarding is very relative. Members of the Combat Arms went to Haiti but so did other occupations. Postal Clerks (whom you mentioned) love the thanks and happiness they provide by getting the soldiers, sailors and airmen/women letters from home. Vehicle Techs find it rewarding fixing a vehicle that will get their friends home safely. So there truly are rewards everywhere.

Goose15 said:
:goodpost:

What Tape said is exactly right. Apart from the fact serving your country is rewarding, what is rewarding is very relative. Members of the Combat Arms went to Haiti but so did other occupations. Postal Clerks (whom you mentioned) love the thanks and happiness they provide by getting the soldiers, sailors and airmen/women letters from home. Vehicle Techs find it rewarding fixing a vehicle that will get their friends home safely. So there truly are rewards everywhere.

I guess I had my sights on Infantry, even though I was trying to avoid it.
I have an interest in long range rifles (ie. snipers). I hope that interest doesn't say anything about me.

Sharp said:
I guess I had my sights on Infantry, even though I was trying to avoid it.

Why were you trying to avoid Infantry?

Sharp said:
I have an interest in long range rifles (ie. snipers). I hope that interest doesn't say anything about me.

No, not at all. Just be ready to work your ass off, as sniper is a specialization that you will have to earn a training spot for.

Goose15 said:
Why were you trying to avoid Infantry?

No, not at all. Just be ready to work your *** off, as sniper is a specialization that you will have to earn a training spot for.

I was kind of trying to avoid infantry because I guess I watched too many movies; I didn't want to be a typical footman.
I'm not prepared yet, but I'm able to work like crazy to be able to do what I need to do.

Sharp said:
I was kind of trying to avoid infantry because I guess I watched too many movies; I didn't want to be a typical footman.
I'm not prepared yet, but I'm able to work like crazy to be able to do what I need to do.

Well if you have interest in Infantry but are looking for something a little different, check out Combat Engineer.

PS: Be careful with saying things like "typical footman" as no CAF member is a typical person.

Goose15 said:
Well if you have interest in Infantry but are looking for something a little different, check out Combat Engineer.

PS: Be careful with saying things like "typical footman" as no CAF member is a typical person.

I didn't know I was offending anyone (sorry in advance).

Also, I shouldn't even be talking about jobs yet. I haven't even been accepted yet. Soon... soon.

Sharp said:

Also, I shouldn't even be talking about jobs yet. I haven't even been accepted yet. Soon... soon.

All is well, just giving you a heads up.

But yes you should be thinking about occupations, as you apply to occupations (3 per application) not the environment.

Sharp said:

No worries. Just do some research on this site and as well the Forces site. Both of these sites provide a lot of information, I tend to read threads on my spare time, and maybe you'll find something you'll be interested in from reading it.  :p

Goose15 said:
All is well, just giving you a heads up.

But yes you should be thinking about occupations, as you apply to occupations (3 per application) not the environment.

Tape said:
No worries. Just do some research on this site and as well the Forces site. Both of these sites provide a lot of information, I tend to read threads on my spare time, and maybe you'll find something you'll be interested in from reading it.  :p

I thank you for the solid advice. Unfortunately I have work in the morning and this is my goodbye for the night.

Sharp said:
I thank you for the solid advice. Unfortunately I have work in the morning and this is my goodbye for the night.

You're very welcome, good luck! :cheers:

Sharp said:

$150 per course?  I'd do some more searching.  There's plenty of "work at your own pace" high school courses that are free (except for possibly a small fee when you write your tests).  Look for adult education/high school in your area.

Don't forget you need to qualify for the trade you want by writing the CFAT (aptitude test). I'm not sure about the specifics for basic education - but getting your high school diploma could never hurt you. Go talk to the recruiters and see what they say.

Hope everything works out for you!

I tend to disagree with some of the other responses. A high school diploma is not required. Don't stress about it. You have enough credits already and as far as competition is concerned, while that may be true, I would say that past health issues are a bigger concern. Doing well on the cfat as well.

Back