• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Manitoba bus stabbing/ beheading

I'd have to say considering his actions he IS a threat and should be considered as such and delt with accordingly.  

SNAFU,  he is a threat in what way ?
He will becoma a burden to the Citzen of Canada - YES, no doubt
but, in the condition he is in right now - he isn't.

Hand him another knife... jeez how people are so quick to put a soother in his mouth and coddle him to thier teets. This man is a brutal murderer and his actions dictate NO, NONE, ZERO,ZIP, ZILCH,NADA remorse, pity or sorrow as far as i'm concerned.

He should be treated like the monster he IS, nothing can change him back to a human being after what he done, NOTHING!

Again just my 2 pennies worth of how busted our system really is.  :(

umm.. he no longer holds a knife - he is no longer a current threat

I am not saying that this man should be let loose on society anytime soon.
From what MsM has raked up so far, this individual has never demonstrated any monstruous or brutal tendencies. 
Something happened - I know not what
IF there was capital punishment in this country, I would agree that he would be a good candidate for the gallows BUT, we don't have that option - Let the system deal with him.

Snafu-Bar said:
He should be treated like the monster he IS, nothing can change him back to a human being after what he done, NOTHING!

Have you considered the possibility that he may have had an adverse reaction to medication which caused this incident, or that he may have missed taking medication? Until we know the full circumstances surrounding the events leading up to it, everything else is speculation.

If this is the case then, yes, there is definitely a failure in the system, however it is not the penal system which has failed. As noted earlier there have been instances of the mentally ill being handed bus tickets and sent off elsewhere, to be handled by someone else.

Again, what does anything AFTER his brutal act have anything to do with how to fix things, besides waste a crap load of taxpayer money, and bloat a few ego's in the legal/medical system?

I can see this man getting 7 to 12 in a psych ward then being re-habbed out to the streets again, why? because everyone is dimissing the fact he's MURDERED someone and jumped straight to there has to be a LOGICAL reason he did what he did other than just wigging out and going apeshyte on the poor kid, then hand him a get out of jail free card becuase he's NOW considered unstable or mentally unfit to stand trial. SICKENING!

Just more ammo for reform to the system.  ::)

See my reply on page 9...

Get him out of the country. Back to China with him once his jail time is done.

Snafu-Bar said:
Again, what does anything AFTER his brutal act have anything to do with how to fix things, besides waste a crap load of taxpayer money, and bloat a few ego's in the legal/medical system?

I can see this man getting 7 to 12 in a psych ward then being re-habbed out to the streets again, why? because everyone is dimissing the fact he's MURDERED someone and jumped straight to there has to be a LOGICAL reason he did what he did other than just wigging out and going apeshyte on the poor kid, then hand him a get out of jail free card becuase he's NOW considered unstable or mentally unfit to stand trial. SICKENING!

Just more ammo for reform to the system.  ::)

So if your driving tomorrow and have a medical condition that causes you to blackout and then you hit another vehicle head on and kill 3 people I get to pull the switch on you without even a trial or medical tests??

Smart thinking there lad.....................

I think some people have to step away from this thread for a bit. It's going pear shaped and the discussion is not bringing anything relevant or new forward.

If someone has something new, AND RELEVANT, to add, contact a Mod.

Milnet.ca Staff

UPDATE

Family of man beheaded on bus launches lawsuit

Link to Article

The family of a man who was attacked and beheaded by a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus is suing the bus company and the federal government for failing to ensure his safety.

CTV.ca News Staff

The family's lawyer, Jay Prober, says the lawsuit names Greyhound, the Attorney General of Canada and the man accused of killing Tim McLean.

He said the statement of claim alleges that neither the bus line nor federal agencies responsible for transportation and public safety took the proper precautions.

The lawsuit is on behalf of 13 family members and is for $150,000.

"This lawsuit is not about money," Prober said at an afternoon news conference in Winnipeg. "It is about accountability -- about responsibility for what happened to (McLean)."

Prober said the family wants more security put in place for bus passengers. They also want to know why the RCMP did not storm the bus to prevent the alleged acts of mutilation to the 22-year-old's body.

"Hopefully what will come of it is that Greyhound will be held accountable, that they will put proper security measures in place, and the Government of Canada will see that the proper security measures are in place and enforced, just like they do at the airports," Prober said.

"It's people who often can't afford to take a plane, who can't afford to take the train, who can't afford to buy a car and pay for the gas, that take a bus," he added. "Why should they be discriminated against?"

McLean was killed the night of July 30 while taking a Greyhound bus from Edmonton to Winnipeg.

He was stabbed and beheaded by another bus passenger near Portage la Prairie.

Vincent Weiguang-Li, 40, has been charged with murder and is undergoing a court-order mental health assessment to determine if he's fit to stand trial.

He is next due in court on Sept. 8.

None of the allegations has been proven in court and a statement of defence hasn't yet been filed.

With files from The Canadian Press

another case of let's sue the world. Greyhound should have a cop on every bus, the government should make all bus stops have a cop there with metal detectors and body searches, everyone should be issued a gun to protect themself with.  How about we all sue the family for wasting our tax dollars on stupid lawsuits against the government that the only winner is the lawyers that encourage this crap. This of course will make the lawyers even happier as they make more money defending them.

how about - sue the suspects parents for not raising a better son, siblings for not ensuring the parents did a good job of raising them

how about the victims siblings/cousins/aunts/uncles, etc sue his parents for not ensuring he was able to protect himself from an attack by an armed man.

how about everyone sue the victim for dying - funds can be taken from his estate.

Real tired of people filing suits at everyone over everything just because they can.  Hope the bus lines and government file a frivilous suit claim on this one and have it thrown out as that is all it is.

Considering they are doing it for the POINT MADE effect and only $150,000 versus many mega millions MOST money grabbers attempt in situations like this leads me to believe these people are doing it the right way.

I just hope the "system" does the right thing with Li and sends his ass for a ride to hell.  :skull: Lawyers included...

Cheers.

Snafu-Bar said:
Considering they are doing it for the POINT MADE effect and only $150,000 versus many mega millions MOST money grabbers attempt in situations like this leads me to believe these people are doing it the right way.

Greyhound didn't do anything wrong and should not be sued.  The same is true for most of the other parties involved.

If the RCMP were deficient in their response then their public complaints commission is probably the appropriate venue to hold them to account. 

The murderer obviously did something wrong but that's a matter for the criminal courts.

The lawyer who agreed to represent the family in this foolishness clearly falls into the 99 per cent of lawyers who give the rest a bad name.

Snafu-Bar said:

I just hope the "system" does the right thing with Li and sends his *** for a ride to hell.  :skull: Lawyers included...

Cheers.

and the point would be..... my son was killed by some looney and it is the bus lines/government fault.  Still a frivolous suit to make the family feel better.  Sorry for your loss but deal with it properly - not by filing suit against the government and wasting tax dollars. True that they are not after getting rich off it - instead they are looking to justify his death in some meaningful way that will ease their pain.  Filing suit against the government and making some lawyer lots of money is not the right way to ease grief.

Snafu-Bar said:
Considering they are doing it for the POINT MADE

And what is the point ?

Do you think that GH should have a security detail to search baggage at every mom-n-pop corner sore or gas station in the country where the bus stops ? What exactly is it that the family thinks could have been done to ensure safety ?

I relly do feel for the family, this was a tragedy. The person responsible for it has been aprehended already.

Trucker told police to shoot man in beheading
Updated Wed. Sep. 3 2008 9:54 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A truck driver who ran to help Greyhound bus passengers fleeing the brutal attack that killed Tim McLean this summer says he told police to shoot the alleged assailant.

"I did want them to shoot him, not necessarily kill the man. I would have preferred that," Christopher Alguire told CTV's Canada AM on Wednesday.

"With the kind of weapons (police) were carrying they could have taken (the suspect) down in a safe manner ... at least then he could not have desecrated Tim (McLean's) body."

Alguire was one of the first people on the scene when a Greyhound bus pulled over on a Manitoba highway during a knife-attack on July 31. McLean was stabbed and beheaded by another bus passenger near Portage la Prairie.

Alguire said he knew passengers were in trouble when he saw them rushing off the bus. He pulled his semi-truck over on the side of the road and ran to help passengers get to a safe area behind his truck.

At first he thought the bus may have had an electrical fire. But he soon realized something much worse had happened.

"I truly did not think it was going to be a murder scene like this," he said.

Alguire rushed to help the bus driver keep the bus door closed so that the assailant could not get off and hurt anyone else. At one point he ran on to the bus with a lead pipe.

"I wanted to protect (McLean), too, regardless of the situation I had to put myself in. It's just something I do, I guess," Alguire said.

He and the bus driver realized that McLean was dead, got off the bus and held the door shut with the alleged assailant still inside.

Alguire noted he supports the family in a lawsuit they launched Tuesday against Greyhound, the Attorney General of Canada and the man accused of killing McLean.

"I'm really sad for the McLean family ... No family should have to go though burying their son ... (in a manner) like this," he said.

Vincent Weiguang-Li, 40, has been charged with murder and is undergoing a court-order mental health assessment to determine if he's fit to stand trial. He is next due in court on Sept. 8.

Much as some would have wanted to shoot that person it would also have been murder.........

I agree with the comments that, althought I respect the family in their grief, I do not think this is the right avenure to deal with that.  Some lawyer will be able to fatten his/her bank account off of this, the poor soul will not be brought back to life, and I don't suspect their grief will be swept away.  This is, IMO, clearly one of those "it never happens" cases that no one could have foreseen or prevented.

This is not a case where I am comfortable seeing the word "alleged" about the POS who did it;  I don't want to hear about "innocent until proven guilty" and all the PC lectures that might follow my comment either.  A young man had his head cut off, we ALL know the POS that was arrested did it.  Is there anyone that REALLY is going to debate whether he did it or not, or that it was some magic bus gremlins and this POS is taking the fall for them? 

Personally, I would have had no issue if the police would have put a few rounds into this piece of crap.  Or ship him off home, he's already getting free food in the detention system that my tax dollars have to pay for.  While the act was not something anyone could have known would happen, it doesn't change the my opinion that the preventative/deterrant effect and the 'after the fact' (sentence lengths, early releases, etc) effects of our Justice system are lacking and laughable.

There is no need for this lawsuit......except to get money.

There is nothing the bus company/RCMP/local government could have done to prevent this without changing the industry to a paranoid status...

Eye In The Sky said:
  I don't want to hear about "innocent until proven guilty" and all the PC lectures that might follow my comment either. 

I am the least PC guy you will ever meet. "inocent until proven guilty" is not something that is PC.

He will have his day in court, get over it.

Back