• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Majority of Canadians not interested in joining the CAF

The CAF seems to be the only military on the planet that can make going fast, blowing things up and shooting automatic weapons unattractive to teenagers…
We aren’t the only country in the world struggling to recruit.

There are some disheartening stories coming out of basic training and BMOQ regarding recruits behavior, sense of entitlement, and physical prowess (or lack there of).

Due to what society is giving us to work with we may have to slash standards and expectations if we want to get our numbers up.

There are some disheartening stories coming out of basic training and BMOQ regarding recruits behavior, sense of entitlement, and physical prowess (or lack there of).

Due to what society is giving us to work with we may have to slash standards and expectations if we want to get our numbers up.
This can be seen in almost every recruit program I can think of currently. It’s a society thing- and it’s not me as an old man shaking my fist at the clouds. The data of three programs I’m familiar with shows we re at the height of training failure/attrition while at the lowest threshold to get TO the course.

An alternative to reducing standards/expectations is to increase close supervision, austerity, and training designed to improve the raw material. Might mean more staff, more time, different location.

That is squarely on all of us. WE - us - have spoiled a few generations with "entitlements" and allowing them to sit in the basement playing COD when they should have been playing a sport of some sort. We have taught people they have rights but no mention of responsibilities a citizen has - like just being a good person. Our TV shows reflect it - the Kardashians come to mind -but they are just a symptom.

So we take these sullen spoilt brats and try to train them to undergo some deprivation and sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

One of the key issues is that this used to be a pyramid, now it's a 'Beer Belly' ;)

And, FWIW, recent feedback I've received from serving Infantry types is that people are leaving in droves because the training is boring, not personally challenging, under resourced and over-hyped.

1653081406482.png
This

One of the key issues is that this used to be a pyramid, now it's a 'Beer Belly' ;)

And, FWIW, recent feedback I've received from serving Infantry types is that people are leaving in droves because the training is boring, not personally challenging, under resourced and over-hyped.

View attachment 70876
Less DLN.... More Gunfighting

There are some good things happening in small places. I personally like what one of my pals has done at RMC with their Sandhurst and Combat Skills Teams:

Screenshot_20220520-145011_Instagram.jpg

One of the OCdts won first place at the SIG Sauer Sponsored International Combat Skills Tournament. Of course you'll never hear the CAF brag that up, they are too busy putting out this stuff to bother noticing:

Maybe a medal for graduating basic training. It is the demographic that has grown up with Participation awards for simply showing up.

Maybe a medal for graduating basic training. It is the demographic that has grown up with Participation awards for simply showing up.

You might be on a great track here.

People will play the shit out of video games to unlock various achievements in the game which get added to their gamer profile.

Having trackable achievements (c7 range, gas hut, marches, first OCs inspeftion) that can be tracked in some kind of app or data base might be a huge hit.

People will play the shit out of video games to unlock various achievements in the game which get added to their gamer profile.

Having trackable achievements (c7 range, gas hut, marches, first OCs inspeftion) that can be tracked in some kind of app or data base might be a huge hit.
Instant (or at least halfways timely) gratification seems to be a hallmark of the current generations.

I'm a bit of financial idiot and the best I can figure, Bitcoin et al are simply a high-value digital prizes; you solve a complex problem and get the digital prize in the digital Crackerjack box. If we had to slog for years to do it with pen and paper, nobody would do it.

LMAO we should give unlockables for IBTS.... like a real crap version of rocket league or call of duty 🤣

Adherence to policy is the only thing they care about, regardless of the outcome.
This reminds me of the lady who had to head a press conference on how we ended up with the F35 15 years and a ton of money after cancelling the sole source. All she could say was PROCESS!!! PROCESS!!! We had to do the PROCESS!!!

Or stop thinking spoiled brat high school and Uni grads have something over the dropout who would give anything to have a chance of a future......oh wait, that kind of thinking went out in the early 80's. Fortunately I was in that boat in the late 70's.....:cool:

Or stop thinking spoiled brat high school and Uni grads have something over the dropout who would give anything to have a chance of a future......oh wait, that kind of thinking went out in the early 80's. Fortunately I was in that boat in the late 70's.....:cool:
Most of my NCMs are more educated than I am. The entire, "NCMs are uneducated narrative" is so bloody outdated it isn't even funny.

How many jobs in Canada offer the pension and benefit package that the CF offers?
300k federal public servants, 400k teachers, 300k nurses, 70k police, lots of other public sector at municipal and provincial levels with reasonably comparable pensions and benefits packages… many of these have pension transfer agreements between various funds.

How many jobs in Canada offer the pension and benefit package that the CF offers?

I've been an OMERS member for 50 years, come September.

Nine month Retirement Gratuity.
70% defined benefit pension.
Full extended health and dental benefits when you retire, until age 65. The city pays 100% of the premiums.
After you turn 65, a Health Care Spending Account ( HCSA ) of $3,500 per year, payable until age 75.
Group Life Insurance – 2 x annual salary ends at age 65.
The city provides a $5,000 lifetime insurance policy after that for burial.

Back