• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MacKay, Natynczyk set to skip arms trade show

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
MacKay, Natynczyk set to skip arms trade show
Donaldson, Paradis, Ambrose, Jenkins set to give CANSEC speeches; Fantino expected to attend.
By Carl Meyer
Published May 30, 2012
Article Link

Canada's defence minister and top soldier are both planning to skip this year's CANSEC arms trade show in Ottawa, their offices have confirmed.

For Mr. MacKay, who is jetting off to Singapore to attend a high-profile defence conference, it's a break from a four-year tradition, as he has attended every CANSEC since he was shuffled into the job in August 2007.

CANSEC is a yearly exhibition in Ottawa put on by the Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries. It showcases weapons, armoured vehicles, ships, fighter jets, and other military technology that the big names in the sector are peddling.

It also brings together business representatives, soldiers, and politicians, who stroll up and down the aisles speaking with company officials, checking out the merchandise, dining with colleagues, and listening to speeches.

Last year, Mr. MacKay and Associate Minister of National Defence Julian Fantino toured the show grounds while reporters and photographers followed.

At one point the two ministers got into a LAV III armoured vehicle as they checked out the dials and switches, and posed for a photo-op.

This year, there will likely be no LAV photo-ops for Mr. MacKay. He's scheduled to attend the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore from June 1 to 3, and to speak on the final day, said spokesperson Jay Paxton.

To get there on time, he must leave the country on May 30, the same day this year's CANSEC begins, the spokesperson said.

The dialogue, put on by the British think tank the International Institute for Strategic Studies, will feature United States Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin E. Dempsey, and Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, according to media reports.

Also not attending this year's CANSEC is the country's top soldier, Chief of Defence Staff General Walter Natynczyk.

This year, the general is "otherwise completely booked for the first day, and will be out of the country for the remainder of the conference timeframe, and a little beyond, attending to business," wrote Lieutenant-Commander Kris Phillips, his public affairs officer, in an email.

Postmedia News reported May 28 that "It is a matter of weeks, rather than months, before Natynczyk steps down," citing unnamed employees of his. But Lt.-Cmdr. Phillips said his absence was not an indication of any impending career decision, and that "he serves at the pleasure of the government."

Vice Admiral Bruce Donaldson, who is vice chief of defence staff; Industry Minister Christian Paradis; and Public Works Minister Rona Ambrose are all slated to give keynote speeches at this year's conference taking place May 30 to 31, according to CADSI president Tim Page.
More on link

Just a thought, but isn't procurement and ideas for procurement done by lower steps on the ladder that are delegated to do so? As a democratic nation, they cannot single-handedly put their thumbs up or down to something without due cause and after consideration. Their presence there would just be for photo-ops and shuch. I see no reason for gasps and ohmygawds as I find this article is trying to incite.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Already, the Liberals are jumping on the Cabinet minister who did go (and apparently spoke outside the speaking note lines):
Opposition MPs are furious Public Works Minister Rona Ambrose appeared at an arms industry trade show in Ottawa last week while the government was making plans to shut down a House committee inquiry into the controversial $25-billion F-35 stealth fighter jet acquisition without giving the committee an opportunity to grill her or Defence Minister Peter MacKay.

Auditor General Michael Ferguson rebuked the Public Works department along with National Defence, in a highly critical report on a chain of F-35 procurement decisions that he said contravened normal procurement policies. This included a Public Works decision to allow National Defence to procure 65 F-35 fighter jets without competing bids from other aircraft manufacturers, while National Defence and the federal Cabinet withheld $10-billion worth of F-35 costs from the public and Parliament.

But Conservative MPs on the Public Accounts Committee moved a motion to end the committee’s inquiry into Mr. Ferguson’s report at an in-camera session of the panel. The government is expected to use its majority to force an end to the hearings and turn the panel toward writing a report to the House before it adjourns for the summer in three weeks.

Liberal MP Gerry Byrne (Humber-St. Barbe-Baie Verte, Nfld.), who last week was battling the NDP as well as the government in a bid to continue the hearings, said Ms. Ambrose’s (Edmonton-Spruce Grove, Alta.) appearance at CANSEC, a defence and security trade show in Ottawa from May 29-30, was even more offensive because the giant U.S. defence supplier that is manufacturing and selling the F-35 to a consortium of nine countries, Lockheed Martin, participated in the event. Senior Lockheed Martin executives from the U.S. and Canada attended Ms. Ambrose’s noon speech.

Ms. Ambrose took observers by surprise at one point in her speech, when she strayed from the prepared text that is posted on her departmental website and expressed frustration with aspects of the government’s procurement system, appearing to pin blame either on her own or other department officials for delays.

“When it comes to procurement, I’m a little tired of being told why something can’t be done,” Canadian Press defence writer Murray Brewster reported Ms. Ambrose as telling her audience of about 1,200 defence contractors, as well as Canadian Forces personnel and sprinkled armed forces representatives from other countries.

“I’ve become tired of all of the duplication and competing agendas,” Ms. Ambrose said. “I am fully aware of all of the internal obstacles to change, but I realize we won’t be able to transform the procurement system overnight.” ....
The Hill Times Online, 4 Jun 12
So, I guess the Liberals think the procurement process is perfect?  Oh, wait....

Back