• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M72 found along highway in BC

Dwight Schrute said:
I was in 3PPCLI (86 to 89), and do not recall losing any M72s. As was mentioned earlier, there is no place on the Vancouver Island to fire them. We had to go to Wainwright, Fort Lewis or Yakima.
Chilliwack?
Fired a few around there...

I guess this explains why a bomb truck from FDU(P) was driving through Langford yesterday afternoon...

MM

Well, let's try it for size

Man tells how he found loaded M72 rocket launcher in bush next to highway

RCMP are investigating after a loaded self-propelled rocket launcher with complete instructions on how to aim and fire the weapon were found by a tree pruner on the side of the Malahat Thursday afternoon.

Steve Taylor, 33, couldn’t believe his eyes when he looked down from the trees he was clearing — about 100 metres north of McCurdy Drive in Shawnigan Lake — to see something that looked like it was from the military.

Upon closer inspection he could clearly see the instructions.

“It said pull pin, aim through scope, and push trigger,” said Taylor. “I had an idea it might be a rocket launcher at that point.”

When Shawnigan Lake RCMP arrived at the scene — one officer was a former soldier — the weapon was identified as an M72 self-propelled rocket launcher.

“And it turns out it was loaded,” Taylor said.

The RCMP said one live rocket grenade was in the tube.

The Canadian Forces Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit was called in and took the weapon.

As of Friday morning, a spokesperson from CFB Esquimalt hadn’t returned calls to comment on whether the launcher might have been from the base.

Read more: hhttp://www.timescolonist.com/news/tells+found+loaded+rocket+launcher+bush+next+highway/3743856/story.html

Haletown said:
And they still haven't moved Chilliwack to Vancouver Island.

Yet :)

Actually it's quite possible that wee bits of the range are washed up onto Vancouver Island by now. The rocket and grenade range were washed away in a flood years ago. Still does not explain the M72. I didn't take this report seriously until I saw a better picture of the rear end. 99% of the time "evil rocket launcher" turns out to be a empty tube.

RCMP are investigating after a loaded self-propelled rocket launcher with complete instructions on how to aim and fire the weapon were found by a tree pruner on the side of the Malahat Thursday afternoon.

This is turning into a proverbial fish story for the reporters.  Don't they ever learn how to use Google?

And now it's too late, the M72 will henceforth and forever be known as a "self-propelled rocket launcher", now ranking higher than the Katyusha and MLRS in Google.

Michael O'Leary said:
This is turning into a proverbial fish story for the reporters.  Don't they ever learn how to use Google?

And now it's too late, the M72 will henceforth and forever be known as a "self-propelled rocket launcher", now ranking higher than the Katyusha and MLRS in Google.

I guess ...... if it is "self-propelled"; that may explain how it got there.    >:D

George Wallace said:
I guess ...... if it is "self-propelled"; that may explain how it got there.    >:D

:rofl:

Good one!  :nod:

I love how CTV included a screen shot from a youtube video of a Canadian soldier firing one in Afghanistan.

Just saw the new story on TV - the tree trimmers were taking hero shots of eachother dicking around with it - I looked a little closer and it was cocked...just shaking my head.

Be interesting to see where it came from;  BTW - where it was found, no f*&king way it washed ashore - it's up on the Malahat Highway, about a grand ASL.

MM

From the CBC comments...  ::)

"Everyone is assuming it is a Canadian weapon. Are these smuggled across the boarder? Doesn't Walmart carry them in the US...for home defense only."

"Doesn't Walmart carry them in the US...for home defense only."

Of course they do, but you can tell the Walmart rockets that were made in Korean sweatshops because the parts don't fit together as well, the labels have bad "Engrish" and they just feel a little bit cheaper than the Toys R' Us rockets.

Can't make this stuff up.  Can't wait to hear the truth based upon Lot Number, issue date and where.  This will go one of to ways.  Jail (Service Prison) someone thought they could outsmart the RQ on live fire Ex or Jail (Crow Bar Hotel) criminal activity whether Canuck or US issue.  The Lot Number always goes back to a dotted line with a signature.

I notice that the news articles make no mention of the sling assembly. Was that item found nearby ?

In which direction was it pointed when found. (Toward the highway I must suppose)

Dummies are painted and have holes drilled, so that is ruled out.

Good point 2Charlie.......Lot Numbers tell the complete story from the manufacturer and follows through to the end user unit.
So it shouldn't be too hard to narrow it down. :salute:

Just saw it on the Commie Broadcasting channel.

It was live and cocked, had to rewind the PVR to take a second look at the shock tube and see the venturi. Imagine if he pressed the trigger.....Backblast area NOT clear.

Angels involved?

I am sure that they will find some more explosive evidence. YYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Back