• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M72 found along highway in BC

muffin

Inactive
Reaction score
VICTORIA — Mounties on Vancouver Island are trying to determine how a loaded rocket launcher got left in the bush near Shawnigan Lake.

RCMP say the powerful weapon was found along the Malahat Highway by a tree clearing contractor.

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions,  ............ , of the Copyright Act

One Mountie who responded recognized the self-propelled launcher to be an M72, and that it appeared to have live rocket grenade in the tube.

The bomb squad was called and safely removed the deadly weapon.

Police believe the rocket launcher may have been there for six months or longer.

They'd like anyone with information about the disturbing find to call them.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20101029/rocket-launcher-101029/

I question the "live" part, and unless it's confirmed in a news release that it was actually live, not just "appeared" to be live, I'll continue to doubt it.

It is extremely unlikely a live M72 would be lost in that manner...

(I say that because I know there's been a few incidents in the past two years locally where the media reported that an explosive device was found that "appeared" to be live, and was disposed of, however, they never report that AFTER it was blown up, it was confirmed as a dummy)

a Sig Op said:
I question the "live" part,

Same here. There is nowhere, that i know of, to fire one on Vancouver Island, so i doubt very much that a live M72 would have been issued to troops there.

The artical has pictures of the actual device now
470_bc_rocket_launcher_101029.jpg

470_bc_rocket_launcher_2101029.jpg

Doesnt that look like the setup for the 21mm insert ?

CEEBEE501 said:
The artical has pictures of the actual device now
470_bc_rocket_launcher_101029.jpg

470_bc_rocket_launcher_2101029.jpg
That appears to be a stupid thing to be doing.  A peizo fuse laying in the elements for 6 + months has the potential to treat the handler with a very nasty surprise. 

Yikes. Not a good idea to be picking it up and seeing if its clear.

CDN Aviator said:
Doesnt that look like the setup for the 21mm insert ?

I looks more like the nozzle of a live rocket (the fins fold forward in the tube).

m72_main.jpg

I see the usual suspects are participating in mental jousting with other idiots on the CBC article.

The M72 LAW was withdrawn from use thirty years ago.

This is such a B******T story. If this is the state this was found in, it is ready to fire. Also, it is not a "Rocket Propelled Grenade", it is an anti-tank rocket. It is a one use weapon that can NOT be reloaded. I have fired these many times when I was posted in Germany and in CFB Shilo. You used to be able to buy these in junk shops and find them in the dump. Once it is fired it is about as dangerous as a spent shotgun shell, unless you used it as a club I guess. I wonder what was really in the tube, what a sensational crock of s**t.

From viewing the picture above the rusty weapon is an M-72 grenade launcher that appears to have been exposed to the weather for a long time, therefor the only military unit that would of had need or access to that weapon would have been the 3rd Princess Pats who where stationed at Work-point Barracks in the 1980's...

Maybe a souvenir from someones tour of Afghanistan?

This shouldn't be a suprise - it's been known for a long time that the bike gangs have members from Quebec in the army - to move drugs or weapons.

Fivebucks says the lot number comes back to the Vandoos.

::)

I was in 3PPCLI (86 to 89), and do not recall losing any M72s. As was mentioned earlier, there is no place on the Vancouver Island to fire them. We had to go to Wainwright, Fort Lewis or Yakima.

When I read this story this morning, first thing that came to mind was that fabled story of an Ottawa unit leaving a Carl G on the side of the road.

I was Bn Orderly Sgt one night and read the log as I was bored. A few months earlier a disgruntled wife (hell hath no fury...) reported that her dearly beloved corporal hubby had a stash of pyro, including an M 72, para flares, smk gren etc.

I know a lot of you are not big fans of conjectures and suppositions. But.

Does CFAD have any M72s?

JSR OP said:
When I read this story this morning, first thing that came to mind was that fabled story of an Ottawa unit leaving a Carl G on the side of the road.

And I'm sure as we speak the champagne corks are popping in the GGFG mess. 8)

Back