• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M72 found along highway in BC

Their confusion could be either mailicious to imply conspiracy (OMG!!!) or due to actual confusion.  Hard to tell which, but considering the source its probably a student being both stupid and ignorant.

Despite having 'higher' education, many of them there have no idea how difficult it is to look through hard-copy records from 30 years ago.  That means every single base going through dusty yellowed archived documents related to ammunition/explosive devices, if you can find them, which no one wants to do in the first place, and nobody is likely to do unless ordered. 

Ive had to do something similiar before, and its not fun - took two months, and that was with all the records I needed to access within 5 km of where I worked.

Haggis said:
Maybe a better approach would be for DND to say "Yes, we are investigating and comparing the information on the launcher (i.e. lot number) and the circumstances of it's discovery and recovery against our past and present inventories and activities.  To say anything more at this point would be speculation.  Once the source of this item is known we will be in a better position to possibly determine how it got there and who may have been involved, but we do not yet have that information."

There.  Done.
Well done, Haggis, you have a bright, shining future ahead of you as a PAO.  What trade are you OT'ing from? Your response is much better than the official party line, as well as the mumbo jumbo from the Martlet ("Rocket launchers serve only one purpose: destruction. The fact that it was moss-covered does not mean it was innocuous. The fact it was stumbled upon doesn’t mean it wasn’t left there for some specific or sinister purpose."). :salute:

Here is the image url showing the rocket launcher :

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/3108454.bin?size=620x400

recceguy said:
They are all an anti tank variety when loaded. After use, they are an empty tube.
Ah, sorry.  I thought that there was anti tank, anti building, and anti personal variants.

FlyingDutchman said:
Ah, sorry.  I thought that there was anti tank, anti building, and anti personal variants.

Lets just say that it is an anti tank rocket that can be utilized in other ways.

FlyingDutchman said:

The Chinese have different variations of shoulder fired rockets - one of them being the 75mm Type 69 APers bounding rocket. Can't say I've ever heard of an "anti-building" variant of anything before.....except maybe J-Dam  ;D

Capt. Happy said:
The Chinese have different variations of shoulder fired rockets - one of them being the 75mm Type 69 APers bounding rocket. Can't say I've ever heard of an "anti-building" variant of anything before.....except maybe J-Dam  ;D

I thought the SMAW has a warhead designed for this, the SMAW-NE, and the PzF 3 Bunkerfaust, or would these be be considered more multipurpose rounds? 

The SMAW-NE uses a thermobaric warhead which produces an overpressure wave capable of collapsing a lightly constructed building.

PzF 3 Bunkerfaust
Designed for use against hardened bunkers, lightly-armoured vehicles & soft targets

SMAW-NE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder-launched_Multipurpose_Assault_Weapon#Rockets

PzF 3 Bunkerfaust
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerfaust_3#Specifications

And a video from Discovery showing its use(SMAW-NE)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNdN5G-iXd8

Let's not confuse the issue any more than it is. We're talking about M72 SRAAW(L) here.

edit for spelling

I know someone that brought home an RPG (sans rocket) from tour- totally legit.

Who wants to be my friend?

This came out today

Rocket launcher's origin stumps B.C. RCMP

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/12/09/bc-vancouver-island-rocket-launcher.html

I am puzzeld by the line:
An investigation by police and the military found the last record of the weapon was in the Defence of National Defence's inventory in Ottawa in 1976. The movement of the rocket launcher beyond that date is not known.

When they say in Ottawa do they mean just in files or physically in a store house there?

It is possible that DND could go no further than confirming ownership of the Lot number.  M72's are not individually serialized or tracked, so there would be no way to confirm exactly when it may have been issued or from which base if the Lot was split between issuing ammunition facilities and from there to multiple units and courses at either a single or multiple locations.

There is also the possibility that it ws stolen and that the crime was never detected. 

Greymatters said:
There is also the possibility that it ws stolen and that the crime was never detected.

I would think that part of its journey is pretty much a given, it wasn't disposed of through Crown Assets.

Michael O'Leary said:
I would think that part of its journey is pretty much a given, it wasn't disposed of through Crown Assets.

Well, either that, or someone just took the amnesty bush to a whole new level

Beadwindow 7 said:
Well, either that, or someone just took the amnesty bush to a whole new level

Or they couldn't fit it in the box.

And wasn't the last known whereabouts Ottawa? Smaller than a Garl G...hmmm...

Back