• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Long-term expats don't have right to vote in federal elections, court rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to see the numbers of how many voted from outside. Frankly with the numbers we get, I'm not sure I want to discourage voting. How do they select which riding the vote goes to?

Colin P said:
. . . How do they select which riding the vote goes to?

The person registering to vote provides the address and it can be (according to the Canada Elections Act)

(e) the address of the elector’s last place of ordinary residence in Canada before he or she left Canada or the address of the place of ordinary residence in Canada of the spouse, the common-law partner or a relative of the elector, a relative of the elector’s spouse or common-law partner, a person in relation to whom the elector is a dependant or a person with whom the elector would live but for his or her residing temporarily outside Canada;

Colin P said:
It would be interesting to see the numbers of how many voted from outside. Frankly with the numbers we get, I'm not sure I want to discourage voting. How do they select which riding the vote goes to?

The quoted numbers from the last election are approximately 6,000 out of 1,000,000 Canadian citizens abroad. Imagine a 0.6% turnout in any election.

Plus consider how many of the 6,000 were ones who would qualify for exemptions under the new rules (CF, Foreign Service, working for Gov't sponsored NGOs).

So, we are seeking to disenfranchise a small number of engaged Canadians for what purpose? The gov't says it's to close the "reset loophole" in the original '93 legislation (if you visit Canada any time during those 5 years the clock restes). Loophole? Anyone think it was deliberate in order to allow those who retain a connection to Canada to remain politically engaged if they wish?

The arguments about taxation are moot - if I continue to live abroad after my current exemption is ended I'll still pay taxes on my pension, but I won't be able to vote. So, the other argument, that by living broad I have no personal stake in the Federal political system, means I don't care about members of my family who remain, or the state of the country should I return, nor the impact on my pension or medical benefits (as a CF retiree I'm covered by the Public Service Health Care Plan for retirees - I pay higher premiums for living abroad). How can they decide, by virtue of my physical location, how much I care about my Country?

I'd recommend the dissenting judge's arguments as a good read. I think the other two were asleep at the Constitutional switch, and the SCC is going to give them a smack-down. Too bad about the timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back