• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW

Not quite.  The MSVS project is distinct but related to the LVM project.  LVM will replace light and heavy trucks; this announcement is for medium trucks (the M in MSVS).

dapaterson said:
Not quite.  The MSVS project is distinct but related to the LVM project.  LVM will replace light and heavy trucks; this announcement is for medium trucks (the M in MSVS).

Ah my apologies then.

Damn, got my hopes up.

I missed the cynicism bug going around last time...

However, although KB got it in the wrong thread, and it should be in the MSVS thread, if his announcement then this?

Karax_Carousel.jpg

http://mackdefense.wpengine.com/product/kerax/

Confirmation: http://www.forconstructionpros.com/press_release/12093164/mack-defense-to-supply-1500-trucks-to-the-canadian-armed-forces

Can someone explain the difference to me between the MSVS and the vehicles discussed in this thread. Just a brief explain to me like I'm five would work.

http://dtic.mil/ndia/2012tactical/poulter.pdf

Try this link Kerry.

The MSVS is the meat in the sandwich between the 3 tonners of the LVM-Light programme (AKA Combat Logistic Support Vehicle) and the 16 tonners of the LVM-Heavy programme.  LVM-L + LVM-H +Enhanced Recovery Capability (Wreckers) = LVM. 

MSVS is a separate project comprising:
1300 Navstar MilCOTS trucks
1350 Mack SMPs
150 Armoured Mack SMPs
300 Trailers
895 SEV shelters
792 SEV kits.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/business-equipment/medium-support-vehicle.page

Short answer: It's all trucks for the military.  Just different people responsible for buying them within DND.

Thank you Kirkhill and dapaterson. I understand the vehicles may not be the right ones, but at least the army is getting some new trucks.

KerryBlue said:
Thank you Kirkhill and dapaterson. I understand the vehicles may not be the right ones, but at least the army is getting some new trucks.

A... friggin' men to that!  :nod:

I was listening to CBC Radio News on the way home from work tonight and heard that Mack Trucks were just awarded the contract to supply the balance of trucks required under the MSVS programme. The trucks will be built in Quebec and in service by 2017 - 2018.

A quick question to those who are more involved & have more knowledge of the day-to-day requirements than I do. 

Is 1500 of these vehicles enough?  Is 1500 of these, combined with the 1300(?) MSVS bought a few years ago, enough?? 

I ask out of genuine curiosity.  In the link to the .pdf slide posted by Kirkhill earlier in the thread, it would seem - based purely on numbers - that the numbers of vehicles being purchased is only roughly half of the original fleet size of the previous fleet. 

Just curious is all. 

1500 MSVS SMP + 1300 MSVS MilCOTS = 2800 trucks.

That is slightly more than the size of the MLVW fleet. (The .pdf said we had 2760 MLs)

Plus, the new trucks have a greater payload and may have a larger bed. So we will have more trucks that can each carry more.

Oh.  In that case, YYYAAAYYYYY!!!!!    FINALLY!!!!!    :nod:

Sorry, the .pdf link from Kirkhill had me a bit confused on the numbers. 

Ludoc said:

That is slightly more than the size of the MLVW fleet. (The .pdf said we had 2760 MLs)

Plus, the new trucks have a greater payload and may have a larger bed. So we will have more trucks that can each carry more.

All that increased cargo capacity and nothing to carry.

Except all the new buttons and bows.  >:D

Hoped for Rheinmetall MAN trucks, oh well hopefully next week they announce the purchase of Boeing's last C-17.

ringo said:
Hoped for Rheinmetall MAN trucks, oh well hopefully next week they announce the purchase of Boeing's last C-17.

I was hoping for Oshkosh, but likely came in to expensive, or not enough Canadian content.  The problem I see in the the future is that just because Mack won the MSVS, there is no guarantee that they will win the LVM-L or LVM-H or even the ERC Wrecker....so we could end up with 4 difference truck platforms...which is a logistics headache, like the four different RWS systems we maintain now...

Old EO Tech said:
I was hoping for Oshkosh, but likely came in to expensive, or not enough Canadian content.  The problem I see in the the future is that just because Mack won the MSVS, there is no guarantee that they will win the LVM-L or LVM-H or even the ERC Wrecker....so we could end up with 4 difference truck platforms...which is a logistics headache, like the four different RWS systems we maintain now...

MAN does have a place in my heart, as well.  They, like the UNIMOG, are quite reliable and versatile.  (I think there is still an image problem from the Chretien years underlying some of these decisions--buying Chevies instead of Cadillacs.)

The statement that "4 difference truck platforms...which is a logistics headache" is only a headache when you are talking about insignificant numbers.  If the fleet for the LVM-L is as large as this purchase, then there should be no more a logistic problem than what currently exists with current fleets of vehicles and equipment in the CAF inventory. 

George Wallace said:
The statement that "4 difference truck platforms...which is a logistics headache" is only a headache when you are talking about insignificant numbers.  If the fleet for the LVM-L is as large as this purchase, then there should be no more a logistic problem than what currently exists with current fleets of vehicles and equipment in the CAF inventory.

Agreed.  If there's going to be 2800 of these guys then there should be no major issues.  It's the one offs and small mixed equipments that are a pain.

Ludoc said:

MLVW's replaced the Deuces at around 2 for 3 as I recall. Plus many units (Reserves) also had 3 ton commercial pattern truck, which was never replaced.  The fact that the 2 buys are slightly more than the MLVW's is a good thing. However the MSVS are restricted from off-road as I recall?

cupper said:
All that increased cargo capacity and nothing to carry.

Except all the new buttons and bows.  >:D

You clearly haven't seen the size of some of our Bde staff, have you?  ;)

Back