• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living outside of geographical boundaries

Ralph

Inactive
Reaction score
Anyone ever applied to live outside of their base's geographical boundaries? Is it a quick sign-off from the CO or a long, drawn-out PITA? What do you lose if you do decide to live more than, in my case, 27km away from Shilo?
Ta.

Ralph, I had a Soldier do that and if memorary serves, it effects your next posting and whether or not IRRP will move  your F & E. I'm not 100% sure on this I would would give them a call and find out for sure before you move out. :salute:

Actually, what I've seen is the following: You're on duty for some reason, and you have to lock/unlock/safety check the buildings belonging to your unit. Then you have the option to go home and travel back to base to do the 21H00 check or to stay overnight (it all depends of the unit's standing orders). With some unit you may have a pager and be expected to be on the spot quickly to unlock a building for that Snco or Officer who has to work late, or to unlock a compound at 3 AM to let the boys on EX in to exchange a vehicle or something.

Please note that it all depends of the situation, unit, trade.

The Bottom line: Don't complain about gas or distance or anything like this or you'll hear "Listen ,you knew what you were doing when you moved, so STFU!".

I know guys myself who are living outside the boundaries and it's not bad ,they just bought a vehicle easy on gas...

Reference IRRP or other admin stuff, I've no idea...

Just my 2 cents...

You must be able to respond to a fan-out call depending on unit's readiness state (eg. within 2 hours) regardless of the time of year.

Check these links out:

Special Commuting Assistance link:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/pdf/CFIRP05/EA10_e.pdf

Travel Benefits link (currently unavailable)http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dcba/travel/engraph/geographical_boundaries_e.asp?sidesection=2&sidecat=8

In brief Commuting Allowance:
The administrative support unit shall submit the member's request, including all supporting documents, to DCBA. The following information shall be included within the DCBA submission:
Cost effectiveness based on a cost comparison of the anticipated tour length and:
"¢ Reimbursement of SCA; versus
"¢ Entitlements provided members when relocated unaccompanied; and
"¢ Entitlements provide members had the (D) HG&E been relocated.
Note: The reimbursement of the SCA Allowance shall be at the lower kilometric rate for each kilometer in excess of 32 kms when traveling to and from the new place of duty for each day of actual travel and reporting for duty.

Conditions and limitations
Members who are authorized the SCA Allowance shall be subject to the following:
"¢ The member shall waive in writing all relocation benefits and entitlements to the new place of duty as provided by CF IRP;
"¢ SCA Allowance shall be authorized for the duration of the posting to the place of duty that gave rise to the entitlement;
"¢ The member shall not be eligible to subsequent relocation benefits and entitlements until posted to a new place of duty where the conditions and limitations of CF IRP would again apply.

SCA Allowance Administration
The member's administrative support unit shall administer the reimbursement of the SCA Allowance. The SCA Allowance is to be charged under the applicable cost move code.

Gunner98, that all has to do with not moving when posted to a new unit and instead driving to/from work from your current residence.

Back