• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

light brown shirt and trousers?

Arty O

Inactive
Reaction score
Can someone explain the uniform that Colonel Barry Southern is wearing in this photo?

Thanks

Canadian Liaison officers in tropical climates have access to an order of dress we in Canada don't wear. When I was in Mumbai(Bombay) in 2013 the Col. that met us was dressed in a similar uniform, I believe the one in Kuwait was dressed the same as well.

It also comes with shorts -- the perfect attire for drinking rehydrating on the Mess patio......during a gruelling year with the UN....

Absolutely hellish, I tell you!    :cheers:

Nope.  CF "Boots, Desert, Steve McQueen-stylin' "  8)

Orvis+Rough-Out+Desert+Boots.jpg

20101125raaf8165908_0034.jpg

These (Tropical Dress or "Drabs") were actually authorized RAAF uniform up until last year.  I'd see people occasionally wear them; I just couldn't take them seriously. 

Then again, this is the same country where no one thinks a blazer plus shirt and tie look weird with shorts and a straw hat until high school.

Journeyman said:
Nope.  CF "Boots, Desert, Steve McQueen-stylin' "  8)

Orvis+Rough-Out+Desert+Boots.jpg

Those would fit in quite well with the "lens-less Buddy Holly glasses" hipster crowd. 

Or so I've heard.  :whistle:

I was talking circa 1992-93.  Without looking at your watch, how much time-in do you have?  :-*

had a pair of those shoes from my tour in Cyprus back in 84. Just threw them out on our last move in 010

I had to wear that uniform as a Cpl during a tropical posting.  Never had the nerve to wear the shorts and knee socks, no matter how hot it got, but they issued them to us anyway. 

Is that uniform still worn with he desert boots pictured above?  I am not clear on whether the boots are a current, or historical, item.

I wore that uniform in 82-84 while in Bermuda. I couldn't bring myself to wear the horrible sandals, so I mostly wore the long pants and oxfords.

A matching tunic would make a nice alternative to the Jacket, Rifle Green, Service Dress, Heavyweight for a parade on a hot humid day...(of course not with the shorts and knee socks).

WeatherdoG said:
Canadian Liaison officers in tropical climates have access to an order of dress we in Canada don't wear. When I was in Mumbai(Bombay) in 2013 the Col. that met us was dressed in a similar uniform, I believe the one in Kuwait was dressed the same as well.

I thought we turfed the army summer dress a few years ago? Is that a recent thing or have liaison officer continued to wear this order of dress ever since?

Inky said:
I thought we turfed the army summer dress a few years ago? Is that a recent thing or have liaison officer continued to wear this order of dress ever since?

No, this is a separate tropical dress. The colour is a pale khaki green rather than tan.

As made famous by Nick Nolte in Hotel Rwanda! (Albeit with shoulder boards in place of slip-ons.)

Privateer said:
Is that uniform still worn with he desert boots pictured above?  I am not clear on whether the boots are a current, or historical, item.

Yes, that uniform is still used, referred to as "Army Tropical/Arid Pattern Dress" and the shoes are "current".  Worn mainly by CF Attache's or CF members on secondment in MENA AOR's, Africa, Australia and lower Asiatic countries.

Some of the older members will recognize the dress which was primarily used in Cyprus.

It looks more "hip" when you wear the short sleeves, long pants bloused and the accompanying desert boots.      ;)

shootemup604 said:
A matching tunic would make a nice alternative to the Jacket, Rifle Green, Service Dress, Heavyweight for a parade on a hot humid day...(of course not with the shorts and knee socks).

Shush your mouth ....the good idea fairies are everywhere.

We had tan dress uniforms but.....sadly....the Army decided that only the Rifle green was to be worn.

Back