• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legal Pot for Canada (and the taxes from it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
If it is tied or matched to the Provincial Liquor Legislations on age limits, then you may see some provinces legislating for 18 years of age.

I remember when the legal drinking age in Ontario was 21.

Was lowering it a "social improvement"? I wonder if the same question could apply to marijuana, if / when they make it legal?

Hamish Seggie said:
The using "alcohol is legal" argument is a red herring and distracts and diverts attention away from the discussion about marijuana and legalization.

It is one argument that those advocating legalization of marijuana always pull out, red herring or not.  They want to equate the legalization of marijuana to a commonly accepted substance that is already legal.  They figure a precedence has already been made with alcohol, and should apply just as equally to marijuana.  They will not recognize this as being "apples and oranges".

They will also reject or ignore any medical studies that discuss the damage caused to brain development before the ages of 21, and any studies that cover cases of paranoia and schizophrenia.  Their focus is solely on the beneficial aspects of the marijuana, ignoring any harmful consequences that could occur. 

With the passage of the legislation to legalize marijuana, I can foresee a rush by many who currently do not indulge, to experiment with it out of curiosity.  The first few months should prove interesting on supply and demand.

I am not a fan of setting the legal age for the use of substances above the age you legally become an adult and can vote. The idea that the state views you as being mature enough to be able to vote and help change the direction of the country, yet not mature enough to make a personal decision seems backwards.

The further we keep pushing back the age where adults become responsible for their own choices the longer we have adult children who will never take responsibility for their actions/choices. This is a massive problem in universities and colleges. Compare the average dude two years after they started working full-time right out of high school and the average dude who is in second year at university. I think you'll find some seriously lacking character qualities in the university guy (not saying there won't be any in the other young full-time worker).

Flavus101 said:
I am not a fan of setting the legal age for the use of substances above the age you legally become an adult and can vote. The idea that the state views you as being mature enough to be able to vote and help change the direction of the country, yet not mature enough to make a personal decision seems backwards.

The further we keep pushing back the age where adults become responsible for their own choices the longer we have adult children who will never take responsibility for their actions/choices. This is a massive problem in universities and colleges. Compare the average dude two years after they started working full-time right out of high school and the average dude who is in second year at university. I think you'll find some seriously lacking character qualities in the university guy (not saying there won't be any in the other young full-time worker).

So we should totally ignore the fact that scientific research has found that the human brain is still in a state of development into the early 20's, just because we have decided that a person legally becomes an "adult" at an earlier age?

Well George by that argument we should bump the voting age higher, after all voting is a very important decision and we wouldn't want people without a fully developed brain to contribute to such an important decision. 

George Wallace said:
So we should totally ignore the fact that scientific research has found that the human brain is still in a state of development into the early 20's, just because we have decided that a person legally becomes an "adult" at an earlier age?

Why not?  We allow these developing brains to make many choices at that age.  To marry, have children, use other substances that also are damaging if misuses (alcohol), kill another human being if required by circumstance (military or security service such as police) or sacrifice oneself for the good of others, vote in general elections etc, etc, etc.  All of the above choices have consequences to the brain that acts upon the decisions it makes.  If they're going to do it and use it, they're going to do it and use it regardless of how many studies say this or that.  At least this way, the government can perhaps have some input into how they use it and therefore possibly mitigate the ill effects of it's use (buying from criminal organizations, which is detrimental to society as a whole)  Treat them like children and they'll act as such.

QV said:
Well George by that argument we should bump the voting age higher, after all voting is a very important decision and we wouldn't want people without a fully developed brain to contribute to such an important decision.

Not really.  Voting age has nothing to do with the age by which one can legally use various substances such as alcohol or marijuana.  Decision making (without drugs) and numbing the brain through drugs (although a decision) are two different things.  ;D

(OK...Some voters do exercise their right to vote while drunk or stoned...That may explain the state we are in today.)

jollyjacktar

We have different ages already by which one is restricted or permitted to carry out various activities.  The voting age is consistent across the country.  The legal age regulating whether one can drive an automobile or drink alcohol varies province to province.  The regulations for the legal use of marijuana can just as easily vary from province to province as well.  That is all up to future legislation, Federally and Provincially.  This discussion is just a means to bring up whatever factors we may see being considered in future legislation; wide open to the imagination.

With current NO SMOKING laws in effect and the current clamp down on Hooka lounges across the country, what will we see in the near future?  Will Hooka Lounges become exempt the NO SMOKING laws and permitted to offer the use of marijuana for smoking? 

One example from Vancouver (Ottawa is seeing similar cases):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/vancouver-hookah-lounge-owners-wont-give-into-indoor-smoking-law/article25715978/

I would have preferred that the age to partake was set at 21, and not to be used in public. Like some have already said the pro cannabis people will ignore everything negative about cannabis use and that anything negative is government or big pharma. Some even advocate that it doesn't affect driving after using and brag about it. Like it or not its coming and in a big way I think, I also believe it will turn out to be a train wreak of epic proportions.

I look at the "big picture"...and see the fall of modern Rome.

GAP said:
All the jibber-jabber aside....I think we as a society will rue the day this comes about.... :(

Ludoc said:

Thanks for that...I was listening to a medical podcast a few weeks ago about just this thing.  There have been some surprised people in the US already.

The other issue is going to be dope/to drive times, since THC doesn't leave the body in as predicable a fashion as ethanol does...should be interesting to see who volunteers for those trials  :nod:

MM

Excellnt resource I found.

17990352_1825933544340405_73822397587486781_o.jpg

kratz said:
I look at the "big picture"...and see the fall of modern Rome.

Years ago, someone told me that one day marijuana would be like liquor: packaged and taxed and sold right off the shelf.

I just laughed.  :)

Chief Stoker said:
I would have preferred that the age to partake was set at 21, and not to be used in public. Like some have already said the pro cannabis people will ignore everything negative about cannabis use and that anything negative is government or big pharma. Some even advocate that it doesn't affect driving after using and brag about it. Like it or not its coming and in a big way I think, I also believe it will turn out to be a train wreak of epic proportions.

I thought we'd put away the pro/ con big brush awhile ago. Not all those that advocate as pro cannabis blame everyone and everything. No more that the anti zealots that see reefer madness everywhere, like some here. Not even willing to give it a chance. In true fashion, they don't like it so no one should have it. Just like, guns, booze, fast cars, etc. No different than a bunch of dried out twelve steppers that rant at everyone else's evil habits and how they have attained true enlightenment and are now perfect.

We've been doing well with the subject and it other threads. Let's try keep it that way by stopping the attacks and stick to the educational side of things.

I'm not getting wrapped up about Goodale's announcement. It's only a starting point. It won't even look liker the same thing when everyone sparks up on July 01, 2018.

Don't forget, at least here in Ontario, the liebrals haven't even got their Scrooge hands (like jazz hands but your hard earned dollars stick to them) on a plan yet. You can also expect a number of Charter challenges on 02 July, 2018.

This is far from being totally fucked up yet.

recceguy said:
I thought we'd put away the pro/ con big brush awhile ago. Not all those that advocate as pro cannabis blame everyone and everything. No more that the anti zealots that see reefer madness everywhere, like some here. Not even willing to give it a chance. In true fashion, they don't like it so no one should have it. Just like, guns, booze, fast cars, etc. No different than a bunch of dried out twelve steppers that rant at everyone else's evil habits and how they have attained true enlightenment and are now perfect.

We've been doing well with the subject and it other threads. Let's try keep it that way by stopping the attacks and stick to the educational side of things.

I'm not getting wrapped up about Goodale's announcement. It's only a starting point. It won't even look liker the same thing when everyone sparks up on July 01, 2018.

Don't forget, at least here in Ontario, the liebrals haven't even got their Scrooge hands (like jazz hands but your hard earned dollars stick to them) on a plan yet. You can also expect a number of Charter challenges on 02 July, 2018.

This is far from being totally fucked up yet.

Finally a light in a sea of prohibitrionists!!!!

Well Said RC

People make out that Cannabis is deadlier than a MOAB bomb, when some vices that are legal. Coconuts have killed more people than Mary Jane, don't see a thread where people, here, are bleating about it. 

Dileas

Tess

recceguy.....I must agree; the Wynne Government will likely see this as an opportunity to create another "Cash Cow" to cover their mismanagement of the Ontario finances.

recceguy said:

This is far from being totally ****ed up yet.

Just my opinion on the subject just like you have an opinion. What I have seen you take a common sense approach and I respect that. My opinion is based on conversations I have seen on Cannabis groups. Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum. Yes I'm against the legalization as I think there will be unintended consequences not yet seen. I know despite my attitude its going to happen and I have to deal with that. I just hope it does more good than harm.

Chief Stoker said:
Just my opinion on the subject just like you have an opinion. What I have seen you take a common sense approach and I respect that. My opinion is based on conversations I have seen on Cannabis groups. Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum. Yes I'm against the legalization as I think there will be unintended consequences not yet seen. I know despite my attitude its going to happen and I have to deal with that. I just hope it does more good than harm.

When you say many "Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum" can you provide a link to this please?

"My opinion is based on conversations I have seen on Cannabis groups"

Really, what are the names of these groups, I would like to see what you have read.  I am not trying to be combative, but I do have a right to see where you have come up with your facts.  Otherwise, i think they are make believe or anecdotal.

Dileas

Tess

the 48th regulator said:
When you say many "Many Canadians don't want this legalization and it should been put to a referendum" can you provide a link to this please?

Really, what are the names of these groups, I would like to see what you have read.  I am not trying to be combative, but I do have a right to see where you have come up with your facts.  Otherwise, i think they are make believe or anecdotal.

Dileas

Tess

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/who-wants-legal-marijuana-not-so-many-canadians-as-once-thought-survey-finds

Now there are other polls that are different however all have a sizable percentage that don't agree with legalization, but agree with decriminalization. I'm sure you'll come up with something to say that all Canadians love it.

As for the groups I joined a few including the one that you run, i'm also not trying to be combative either and not against legitimate medical use. I'm just against people making it out to be the harmless herb that you continually make it out to be. To say that more people has been hurt getting hit with coconuts than from Cannabis is not correct. I have personal experience in this.

Let's return to contemplating what possible direction "Legalization" will go and what kind of regulatory acts will be put into place, Federally and Provincially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back