• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

K-Bars and Cadets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpl.K Soomro

Inactive
Reaction score
Im wondering, are cadets allowed to have K-Bars. I just did SIC and was planning to get one but i don't know if ill get in trouble or not. Thanx.

Most likely depends on your unit. I've seen lots of cadets with ka-bars aswell as other knifes. Honestly, you don't need one, its a fighting knife. The best all around tool you need is a multi-tool.

Manuals reccomend a folding blade knife, blade being no longer than 6 inches.

I personally can't see any need for a cadet to have a Ka-bar as I doubt they do any knife fighting.  Any practical use for a Ka-Bar can be done with an axe, for a few hundred bucks cheaper. ;)

It's a valid question. 

The SIC course in Air Cadets trains the cadets on various uses and protocals on a multitude of tools.

KS, i am pretty sure it's a "CO's descretion thing"  My Sqn. will only let NCO's carry folding knives, not to exceed 6 inches.  Best bet would be to check with your staff before you drop the bucks.  A swiss army knife or Gerber multi=plier would definately be of more efficient and sensible use.

regards

PV

Second the Gerber multitool. SI at my unit has a Ka-bar(folding one though) and she took it out once last weekend, and that was to teach a class on tools. Other than that it stayed on her belt. My little Gerber got plenty of use though. Multitools are the way to go in my books. I find them so much more usefull than a fixed or folding blade knife. I've never needed anything more than the 3" blade on my Gerber. And I find I use the pliers just as much if not more then the knife.

Multi-tool is the way to go. But my hatred of the Gerber prompts me to mention my personal favorite, the Victorianox Swisstool.
One of the best investments I have ever made.

PPCLI MCpl said:
Multi-tool is the way to go. But my hatred of the Gerber prompts me to mention my personal favorite, the Victorianox Swisstool.
One of the best investments I have ever made.
Why do you hate Gerber? I've had no problems with mine at all over the past 2 years.

condor888000 said:
Why do you hate Gerber? I've had no problems with mine at all over the past 2 years.

I have found all three issued versions of the Gerber flimsy, prone to corrosion and tend to fold back on your fingers when subjected to any forceful use.  Also, I dislike that you have to open the pliers to access the tools, and when you attempt to pull out one tool, you get a clump you have to sort through.

The new SOG is no better. I've had my Swisstool for almost 8 years, and it's never let me down yet. 

Having said that, some of the new Leatherman's are not that bad.

A little off topic, but here is a thread discussing the pro's and con's of various multi-tools.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27809.0.html

No its not. The only thing a Ka-Bar would be useful for in cadets is to be used as a machete 

Guess what ? better he/she get clarrification here in the cadet forum .

I agree that the ka-bar knife would not have a particular use on a cadet FTX, as i mentioned my unit wouldn't even allow it.  Maybe you could be the mentoring example instead of the smart $%#.

PV

PPCLI MCpl said:
I have found all three issued versions of the Gerber flimsy, prone to corrosion and tend to fold back on your fingers when subjected to any forceful use.   Also, I dislike that you have to open the pliers to access the tools, and when you attempt to pull out one tool, you get a clump you have to sort through.

The new SOG is no better. I've had my Swisstool for almost 8 years, and it's never let me down yet.  

Having said that, some of the new Leatherman's are not that bad.
Alright cool. Is it possible that the issue Gerbers just aren't up to snuff though? I had a bit of minor surface rust that stopped once I actually started to make sure it was clean every night after I used it, right after I read some of the stuff in the other thread as a matter of fact. I never have had mine fold back when I'm using the tools, and I find the flip down pliers are really easy to access and get out in a hurry. Clump thing I noticed too when it was new. Playing with it right now.......no, none of mine clump together when I pull them out. Interesting. Maybe once it gets broken in they come out easier or something.......Interesting. Each their own I suppose. For me, I love my Gerber. Wouldn't trade it without making sure I'm getting a far better tool before hand.

And the sound it makes when you flip out the pliers is just so cool sounding! 8)

ARMYboi69 said:
There's no use for one, although it might come in handy for certain things and certain weekends.   However, I have a Gerber Multi-Tool and a 6-inch floding blade pocket knife, and that's all you'll need :)

The issued gerber sucks....  Folding knife is the way to go.

toss the K-Bar,

if you want LCF, then here is what I carried in my years, not cadets, but reserves, and I got the biggest chunk of butter for the bread!!

SOG Desert Dagger and,

My "big Birtha" an Old Grohmann & D.H. Russell Survival Knife

wear with pride, pose with honor..... ;)

dileas

tess

A real man carries a dirk, or better yet, a claymore. 

Men can carry claymores...but a GENTLEMAN carries a Wilkinson...yes, even into the field.  ;)

I agree with 2332Piper its the C.L.F. with the younger cadets. Why would anyone need a K-bar any multi-tool could do the job. I have seen one cadet from my unit who had more knives on him than in my kitchen 2332 Piper was a cadet with him at the sametime.

every  cadet needs a fighting knife of some kind.  so when they have to do that  after bed time stand to and fight that  commie pinko, long hair hippie freak coming over the wire in serious hand to  hand , tooth to tooth, after they have used up every means of defending themselves  at camp. they  know they  will come out on top.  I am sure some cadets see the need for such a knife, and could tell you all sorts of reasons why  they need it , how they  will use it and where they  would use it.

i spent 12 years in scouting,  7 years in the military  and never found a need for anything bigger then a pocket knife  most days. do not even think i used the issue knife ever other then on kit inspections.

a simple pocket knife will get you thru cadets and most of your life.
learned from boy scouts, the bigger the knife, more likely the injury being a big one

Have made good use of my Gerber.
If I want a good sheath knife, have a trusty old "russell boat knife"....
though I have had very little use for it over the last umpteen years.

I agree that a folding knife or multi-tool is generally more practical for most uses around camp.  The sheath knives do have their uses, and it is worthwhile to provide some instruction in those uses.  For example, sheath knives are better for dressing and skinning wild game.  In desperation, the Swiss Army knife will work for awhile, but a nice sharp sheath knife is much better. Innovations for handling game such as the excellent Wyoming knife, which are both sheath knives and compact, are special purpose and thus of limited utility. In areas frequented by predatory wildlife, cougars, bears, etc., a sheath knife can be a life saver.  Many a person working or recreating outdoors has found such a knife their only means of defense from an animal attack, this is not something that a folder can do.  Another important use for a sheath knife is for cutting rope in climbing or rescue work; certainly decisions like that require some training.  Folders are problematic when one hand is belaying or controlling a safety line.  For that purpose, I like a sheath knife tied to me with a bit of 550 cord - the Russell belt knives are a good choice for that sort of work.  Tying your knife to you also prevent is getting lost or leaving your presence when someone else doesn't have a knife.  Sheath knives have other uses.  Before people had utensils to eat with, knives, even big sheath ones, were used like forks.  Certainly any knife used should be kept sharp, as the dull knives are the ones that slip and cut people.  Never cut towards yourself, you might need those appendages later!

I am not recommending that everyone go around with a big knife everywhere all the time on a cadet exercise - it simply is not usually necessary.  However, these knives do have their uses and it is worthwhile to consider those uses and train for them.  If you show people what works best for different situations, they will usually make the best choice.  My advice is to choose the right tool for the job, and use it properly.  

If you're going to teach people about using sheath knives, I figure it's best to teach em with a "normal" sheath knife(ie; not a big honking blade).
The Russel is a good knife for that purpose, strong and reliable, it keeps a good edge but it is "not impressive" as a trophy knife... it's all business - and it's good at it.

With respect to having knives to defend yourself from bears and cats..... having one might prompt you to a false sense of security and encourage you to do something silly like becoming agressive... not a wise move at the best of times - IMHO

Geo, fighting a bear or cat with a knife is far from the ideal circumstance.  In my part of the world, people working, or more usually hunting, in the great outdoors have had to do just that.  The idea is that if something like a fight with a predator comes up that one is mentally prepared to use the resources that they have available to defend themselves.  Once a martial artist friend told me that he was quite comfortable fighting even a grizzly with a katana sword.  I told him he was nuts, as that sort of talk displayed a lack of respect for the animal and, in my opinion a rather high regard for his own ability.  On the other had there has been at least one incident of a hunter killing a grizzly with his sheath knife when the bear knocked his rifle out of his hands and began the mauling process.  He certainly had no false sense of security making him aggressive.  He was sure glad he had his knife, though!  As for a cadet trying to justify packing a k-bar so that they can fight a bear, hmmmm.  Highly unlikely, but anyone packing a sheath knife should have the thought in their mind if such a circumstance should arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back