• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OLD ARMY 2 X 10 MILER WEIGHT LOADS

Haggis

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Good morning, Army.ca.

This is a bit of a memory test. Does anyone have a reference to the old Army 2 X 10 miler marches we used to do back in the 70s and 80s, prior to the 13 k? I recall that the march was in fighting order only. Was there a weight requirement or just a kit list?

I also recall that your platoon's time the second day had to be faster than the first day. Don't know if that was policy or just an SSF thing.

We did the 2x10 in Ruck both days, but I think the actual requirement was ruck first day and FFO the second day.
You may be right, which just adds to the confusion. Do you recall a minimum weight or kit list?

I know back then, we didn't carry nearly the loads that we do now and the kit was far less ergonomic.

Good morning, Army.ca.

This is a bit of a memory test. Does anyone have a reference to the old Army 2 X 10 miler marches we used to do back in the 70s and 80s, prior to the 13 k? I recall that the march was in fighting order only. Was there a weight requirement or just a kit list?

I also recall that your platoon's time the second day had to be faster than the first day. Don't know if that was policy or just an SSF thing.

Found an old thread on that: What is the 2x10 fitness test? | Army.ca

Last time I did the 2x10 proper I want to say was 1989 or 90 in 1CMBG - was FFO both days by our kit list. 6ft wall/trench jump on 1 day and IIRC fireman's carry 100m both days. They went to the 13 Km ruck march in '91 IRC, but added the 16km (10 miler) in FFO was done the next day with the wall and trench. I also seem to remember that the time allowance on the first day was shorter than the second for the 2x10 (16). Some units I'm sure would add weight like real or simulated first line ammo loads (I've heard the Airborne used to do that) based on CO or formation commander's policy.

Last time I did the 2x10 proper I want to say was 1989 or 90 in 1CMBG - was FFO both days by our kit list. 6ft wall/trench jump on 1 day and IIRC fireman's carry 100m both days. They went to the 13 Km ruck march in '91 IRC, but added the 16km (10 miler) in FFO was done the next day with the wall and trench. I also seem to remember that the time allowance on the first day was shorter than the second for the 2x10 (16). Some units I'm sure would add weight like real or simulated first line ammo loads (I've heard the Airborne used to do that) based on CO or formation commander's policy.
What you said. I would hasten to add that some people would arbitrarily add weight to the minimum load because they could.

In the late 70s (1970s - not 1870s ;) )some rifle companies would do an untimed FFO march with support weapons .

ADD a C5 GPMG, 84 mm Carl and the 60 mm mortar plus the radios.

P.59 ... an article describes that format. No mention of weight carried though...

Thanks, I'd found that one, too. No mention of weights or kit list for battle order or FFO, which is what I seek. Helping a brother who is not on the Interweb with a VAC claim.
What unit? I was SSF/2 CMBG from 1992-1996, so recall there were some definite unit “flavours” to 2 x 10s. E Bty, 2 RCHA, for example, did this “mortar mania” thing all around the training area for 24hrs involving man packing 81mm mortars, tripacks full of sand and all ancillary kit.

More than few CF98s out of that one…

E Bty, 2 RCHA, for example, did this “mortar mania” thing all around the training area for 24hrs involving man packing 81mm mortars, tripacks full of sand and all ancillary kit.

More than few CF98s out of that one…
No doubt. When I took my 81 mm Mortar course one of the characteristics was "Man portable for short distances due to ammunition resupply"

For us that meant from the M113 to the firing line. I don't know whatever possessed the artillery to think people were horses.

No doubt. When I took my 81 mm Mortar course one of the characteristics was "Man portable for short distances due to ammunition resupply"

For us that meant from the M113 to the firing line. I don't know whatever possessed the artillery to think people were horses.

Nothing like slogging along with your platoon on the weekly battalion 10 miler and watching the mortar platoon jog past carrying tubes and baseplates.

"Here's your humble pie, chaps... " ;)

It did note that there was no time limits initially assigned, but I recall something in the 2:20 area I think...and it previously had been a run vs march (in my Dad's days - was a 10 mile run in FFO, fireman carry to firing point and then engage a target at 100m with 10 rounds with a minimum score, to be done in under 3 hours I think).

E Bty = Airborne.

The SSF 2x10 was different than other things. Not to be confused with the BFT etc

Some of the Commandos did it with full support weapons on both days (I never saw the TOW platoon with theirs though)

I know the one time I did it with E Bty the ‘standard’ was under 2hrs with Ruck, weapon and a sandbag to make up for lack of ammo etc. Airborne shuffles the whole way both days - regardless of weather.

When I got to Calgary and 1 CMBG the idea of only wearing the ruck for one day and then FFO then next just seemed weak ;)

The time for the BFT thingy was shorter the second day due to no ruck.

Back