• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau - Timelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, according to a couple reports, US aircraft are sitting on the tarmac because they can't find much worth bombing. So the addition of 6 (7) CF-18s isn't really contributing is it? If we ARE really concerned about the plight of civilians on the ground, we should look at what gaps need to be filled, and then fill them.

The threat of airstrikes reduces the effectiveness of ISIS, allowing opposing forces to stand up to them. So they are effective even when not bombing, plus there is also the collection of intel that will help the Kurds and Iraqi Army fight them.

A 5 second Google search shows we have already donated 16 million worth of humanitarian aid this year alone to the Iraqi refugees. they should keep their shiny pony in a petting zoo where he can't do any real harm.

This has gotten to the level of self-parody. I had to double check that it wasn't a satire article.

Any electoral brownie points he hoped to make by declaring his stance on marijuana (which I personally don't agree with but I'm not the one trying to get elected PM) gets eroded by every other time he opens his mouth.  He's in over his head and when combined with Mulcair's declaration that Bibeau's actions were not terrorism are just setting Harper up for re-election. 

Kilo_302 said:
Well, according to a couple reports, US aircraft are sitting on the tarmac because they can't find much worth bombing. So the addition of 6 (7) CF-18s isn't really contributing is it? If we ARE really concerned about the plight of civilians on the ground, we should look at what gaps need to be filled, and then fill them.

Is this a serious post?

Kilo_302 said:

The biggest gap that needs to be filled is to stop these people from being killed in the first place. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/somnia/article21473466/

“ISIS can only expand in areas where it can enter into partnerships with the local population, and that largely limits the scope of the expansion of ISIS to Sunni, disenfranchised areas,” said Lina Khatib, the director of the Carnegie Middle East Center in Beirut.

It is in Iraq, where coalition forces began bombing in August, that the Islamic State has lost the most ground. In recent weeks, combinations of Iraqi government units, Kurdish peshmerga forces, Shiite militias and armed Sunni tribesmen have seized the Rabia crossing with Syria; taken back the area of Zumar in the north and Jurf al-Sakr south of Baghdad; opened crucial roads in the country’s center; and held off Islamic State advances elsewhere.

For the first time since the jihadists seized Mosul and much of northwestern Iraq in June, an Iraqi military vehicle can drive from Baghdad to the northern city of Irbil on a main highway.

Hisham Alhashimi, an Iraqi researcher and an expert on the Islamic State, said those changes had broken up the group’s territory, making it harder for it to move its forces and for its couriers to relay messages among the leadership and the field commanders.

We need to drop crates of parkas on the heads of ISIS terrorists.  After they land crushing the freedom-haters the locals can go and pick up the parkas and use them while taking the wood for fires and building materials.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
This is sooooooooo unbelievable I didn't want to post it in the ongoing ISIS thread and totally derail it.
So, in his mind, as long as they get massacred warm they will be happy??
:facepalm:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/11/07/trudeau-drop-parkas-not-bombs
Josh Skurnik, QMI Agency

First posted:  Friday, November 07, 2014 11:02 AM EST  | Updated:  Friday, November 07, 2014 11:08 AM EST 

EDMONTON — Never mind airstrikes. Victims of ISIS just need warm cocoa and woolen touques, Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau suggested to a crowd in Edmonton on Thursday.
Trudeau, who opposes Canada's part in airstrikes on Islamic States targets in Iraq, says we'd be more helpful offering “cold winter” advice for victims of the militants.

“There's a lot of people, refugees, displaced peoples, fleeing violence who are facing a very, very cold winter in the mountains. Something Canada has expertise on is how to face a winter in the mountains with the right kind of equipment," Trudeau said.
Since Oct. 28, Canada has had six CF-18 Hornet fighters, in Kuwait, as well as a CC-150 Polaris tanker and two CP-140 Aurora surveillance aircraft being supported by almost 600 military personnel on the ground.

The planes have made several sorties into Iraq as part of an international airstrike campaign to stem the tide of ISIS militants marching through the country.

An astute political move no doubt designed to curry favour within the Quebec textile industry... or not

ObedientiaZelum said:
We need to drop crates of parkas on the heads of ISIS terrorists.  After they land crushing the freedom-haters the locals can go and pick up the parkas and use them while taking the wood for fires and building materials.

:spilled my coffee laughing: :)
Now that's a practical idea I must say.

If aircraft are sitting on the ground due to lack of targets it mostly indicates that ISIS fighters have learned to disperse and hide much better than the Taliban or Free Syrian Army (two other forces which suffered much from enemy airpower). The obvious follow up is boots on the ground to root them out of their hiding places, but there isn't a "Northern Alliance", or a remotely competent local army waiting in the wings to be unleashed, so ISIS can stay hidden like rats and cockroaches until the Allies pack up their airplanes and go home.

Of course, the Young Dauphin misses the point that we also need "boots on the ground" to ensure that toques and parkas go to where they are needed and to the people who need them. His strategic thinking is on par with a clever and well meaning six year old....

ObedientiaZelum said:

I never took you for a Liberal.

Surely clothing the locals implies [snow] boots on the ground, including establishing a local control apparatus to issue the parkas, toques, mittens, etc to individuals and families instead of turning them over to the local thrift shop. Or does JT intend to merely insert the gear into the local distribution system, which could result in it being sold on the black market at whatever the market will bear. His statement suggests he is talking about teaching the locals how to shovel snow and scrape windshields and . . .

The whole thing has the air of something dreamed up on the fly. Maybe it gives a whole new meaning to snow job.

Perhaps, back in the day, we should have resorted to paper snowflakes and hopscotch to stop the Nazis.  I mean, if parkas and boots work for |SIS, hindsight and all that...

So, has JT figured out how we would ensure that the winter clothing dropped for freezing refugees doesn't find it's way into the hands of ISIS fighters?

Nope?  Didn't think so.

Old Sweat said:
Surely clothing the locals implies [snow] boots on the ground, including establishing a local control apparatus to issue the parkas, toques, mittens, etc to individuals and families instead of turning them over to the local thrift shop. Or does JT intend to merely insert the gear into the local distribution system, which could result in it being sold on the black market at whatever the market will bear. His statement suggests he is talking about teaching the locals how to shovel snow and scrape windshields and . . .

The whole thing has the air of something dreamed up on the fly. Maybe it gives a whole new meaning to snow job.

Similar to his response to the harassment allegations. I seem to recall from my HA training that his response was textbook on the way "NOT" to handle the situation.

Eye In The Sky said:
Perhaps, back in the day, we should have resorted to paper snowflakes and hopscotch to stop the Nazis.  I mean, if parkas and boots work for |SIS, hindsight and all that...

Maybe a nice cup of hot chocolate with a nice friendly chat.......

This is not M. Trudeau doing an "open mouth, change feet" routine. This, coming out strong against military intervention in Iraq, is a calculated thing.

Early poling suggests that ⅔ of Canadians support going after IS**. My guess, and the Liberals' guess, too,is that number will fall off, rapidly and, if we are still there in Oct 15 support will be more like ⅓ and a consistent anti-bombing stance will have worked for the Liberals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back