• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

A big problem is Canadians aren't as entrepreneurial as people in the USA, we're generally more risk adverse. Our government also does a poorer job of fostering research in industry and supporting small businesses

That.

I had a conversation with a neighbour of mine, a female with a young daughter under the age of 2 who's a spec ed teacher and she was going on and on how much she can't stand Trudeau and how she's going to vote for the CPC for the first time in her life. If that doesn't represent a sea of change, I don't know what does.
This is essentiially my wife. Art teacher, Social worker, Lifelong liberal. Completely disilusioned with the LPC's choices and though she's no CPC supporter, she's going to be voting NDP for the first time in her life.

I guess we can kiss the P-8 goodbye in favour of the bombardier without stores
I have a feeling the P-8 will still very much be on the books as a CP-140 replacement.

Justin might be an Oscar Meyer with legs, but...

• Canada will still have 3 coastlines
  • The CP-140 will still need replacing
  • Boeing still has some customer relations work to do north of the Border

- A tentative agreement has already been discussed enough that senior public ministers have already made low key announcements through the media

- The Americans, whom I'm assuming are well informed on where things are at with this project, will want to see the deal through to conclusion

That being said...

- It wouldn't be the first time a Canadian government has opted to openly not give a shit about optics, especially the current government

- Money going to a Canadian company for a Canadian product is good optics

(Bombardier, this would be a good time to get your shit together & solidify your product as being high quality, as fuel efficient as humanly possible, and ensure it is capable of carrying & deploying weapons)

- The government saying a few weeks ago they're committed to reaching 2% of GDP on spending was a lie, we all know that

- Trudeau'a government is on its final legs, and everybody knows it. Including him. His work here, while not finished yet, has progressed far enough along that emperor Klaus will be satisfied with the performance of his agent

- The government saying a few weeks ago they're committed to towards reaching 2% of GDP on spending was a lie, we all know that

- Trudeau'a government is on its final legs, and everybody knows it. Including him. His work here, while not finished yet, has progressed far enough along that emperor Klaus will be satisfied with the performance of his agent
FTFY. Semantics. The gov't never committed to reaching 2%, but said they're committed towards reaching 2% of the GDP.

Oh you’re getting P-8’s. I’m not sure how it hasn’t been publicly announced in Canada yet, but we don’t run things through unless there is a firm agreement.
So someone in Canada inked out something.

WRT to the DND Budget, we are going to bend Canada over without lube if any attempt to drop spending goes through.

I was literally just about to write the exact same thing, glad I scrolled through some of the comments before writing my own

Each fiscal year, the DND has to return upwards of a billion dollars a year to the treasury as the funds are unspendable with the current regulations/guidance on DND/CAF self-directed spending

...I know this next part sounds absolutely crazy...but just hear me out...
Really hard to track the latest "unspent" numbers due to how the budget is presented but it must be near about 2 billion from pay alone with our near 20000 empty positions.

Theres also the issue of a lot of CAF cash being spent on DEI initiatives. Lots of very expensive groups having to be linked into the chain now that turn courses like Black Bear or Raven into a Ranger sized cash cow for some.

I don’t get the idea that that is some how an inferior way to be compensated for your time and effort than sacrificing your body working the trades

SM influencers offer no real value or skills to society. They are utterly useless.

Both things can be true, as long as the economy shrinks enough
Modern Problems Funny Gif GIF by MOODMAN

WRT to the DND Budget, we are going to bend Canada over without lube if any attempt to drop spending goes through.

Unless there is a change, the spending cut is already happening this year, with deeper cuts coming next year.

So what was the outcome? U.S. is no longer a shaker and mover in the global economic scene because it has a large -ve % BoT?

This is essentiially my wife. Art teacher, Social worker, Lifelong liberal. Completely disilusioned with the LPC's choices and though she's no CPC supporter, she's going to be voting NDP for the first time in her life.
This neighbour of mine specifically brought up Singh’s Rolex watch as the reason why she’d never vote for him.

MND Blair is now saying the following:

Defence Minister Bill Blair insisted Friday afternoon that any spending cuts would not impact frontline units

“Canada’s defence spending has increased year after year under our government. That spending growth will continue. We’re reviewing spending to find savings on things like consulting and travel, but overall spending on defence will continue to grow,” he said on the social media site X, formerly known as Twitter.

“Any claim that Canada is ‘cutting’ defence spending is not accurate, because overall defence spending has increased and will continue to increase."

Blair highlighted that defence spending under the Liberals has consistently grown and that new Arctic patrol ships are on duty, new F-35 fighter jets have been purchased and new warships will be under construction next year.

This seems to contrary to what the CDS and the Deputy Defence Minister are saying, from the same newspaper article:

Speaking to MPs Thursday during a meeting of the defence committee, Chief of Defence Staff Wayne Eyre was asked about proposals to cut $15 billion across the government, which the Liberals promised to do in the spring budget.

Eyre said the Defence Department’s piece of that cut will hurt.

“There’s no way that you can take almost $1 billion out of the defence budget and not have an impact, so this is something that we’re wrestling with now,” he told MPs.

I am not a mathematician but I understand simple logic. If you take $1 B from the overall budget that is a cut.

MND Blair says that the frontline units will not be affected. Perhaps not in the short term (up to one year), but much of the cuts will geared towards the bureaucratic fat in DND So what do you cut? TD? Furniture? Infrastructure maintenance? Infrastructure improvements? IT? Immediate freeze on hiring of PS? Declare PS positions redundant? Reduce contractors who normally provide specialized technical expertise to DND? Delay vehicle replacements? Delay ammunition relenishment? Reduce flying hrs, but more sim time? Reduce maintenance on B vehicle fleets? Reduce small arms replenishment - remember yelling "bang, bang" while on training? Delay or reduce Cbt clo procurement? Reduce LOGISTIK points? Review current individual entitlements for cuts?

What I am trying to say is that everything is related. Cuts in one area will affect eventually another.

Defence Minister Bill Blair insisted Friday afternoon that any spending cuts would not impact frontline units

“Canada’s defence spending has increased year after year under our government. That spending growth will continue. We’re reviewing spending to find savings on things like consulting and travel, but overall spending on defence will continue to grow,” he said on the social media site X, formerly known as Twitter.

“Any claim that Canada is ‘cutting’ defence spending is not accurate, because overall defence spending has increased and will continue to increase."

Blair highlighted that defence spending under the Liberals has consistently grown and that new Arctic patrol ships are on duty, new F-35 fighter jets have been purchased and new warships will be under construction next year.

This seems to contrary to what the CDS and the Deputy Defence Minister are saying, from the same newspaper article:

Speaking to MPs Thursday during a meeting of the defence committee, Chief of Defence Staff Wayne Eyre was asked about proposals to cut $15 billion across the government, which the Liberals promised to do in the spring budget.

“There’s no way that you can take almost $1 billion out of the defence budget and not have an impact, so this is something that we’re wrestling with now,” he told MPs.

I am not a mathematician but I understand simple logic. If you take $1 B from the overall budget that is a cut.

MND Blair says that the frontline units will not be affected. Perhaps not in the short term (up to one year), but much of the cuts will geared towards the bureaucratic fat in DND So what do you cut? TD? Furniture? Infrastructure maintenance? Infrastructure improvements? IT? Immediate freeze on hiring of PS? Declare PS positions redundant? Reduce contractors who normally provide specialized technical expertise to DND? Delay vehicle replacements? Delay ammunition relenishment? Reduce flying hrs, but more sim time? Reduce maintenance on B vehicle fleets? Reduce small arms replenishment - remember yelling "bang, bang" while on training? Delay or reduce Cbt clo procurement? Reduce LOGISTIK points? Review current individual entitlements for cuts?

What I am trying to say is that everything is related. Cuts in one area will affect eventually another.
Don't worry...I'm sure all the changes will be doubleplusgood!

I also suspect that as soon as the cuts got announced that certain phone lines started buzzing from allies.

Back