• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Probably the better option right now.

Divest of shearwater all together.

It would be. There is way more space down on 14 Wing to put the MH fleet than there would be in Shearwater to move 404, 405, 413, 415 Sqns as well as 14 WOps and the MSS and OSS folks.

The hangars for the FW stuff take up a fair amount of real estate that I don’t believe exits at YAW now.

Any ideas of divest / relocate need to consider the size of the destination community, and the availability of housing. Dropping hundreds more people into the Annapolis Valley if there aren't places to live available would be problematic at best.

There is way more space down on 14 Wing to put the MH fleet than there would be in Shearwater to move 404, 405, 413, 415 Sqns as well as 14 WOps and the MSS and OSS folks.
How much space is around Halifax Airport to move 12 and 14 Wing units?

How much space is around Halifax Airport to move 12 and 14 Wing units?

That I am not sure of. My first thought is the spaces required for air weapons for all the aircraft the operate from ZX.

I am also thinking of when they moved the Airshow from Shearwater to Hfx and the realities that come with flight ops around a place like Hfx and it’s controlled airspace.

Any ideas of divest / relocate need to consider the size of the destination community, and the availability of housing. Dropping hundreds more people into the Annapolis Valley if there aren't places to live available would be problematic at best.

You're expecting a lot of foresight from the CAF and GOC lol

That I am not sure of. My first thought is the spaces required for air weapons for all the aircraft the operate from ZX.

I am also thinking of when they moved the Airshow from Shearwater to Hfx and the realities that come with flight ops around a place like Hfx and it’s controlled airspace.

Ya I think Stanfield is pretty much off the table.

As I recall as self-loading cargo traveling to Stanfield multiple times, the airport approach is basically trees, trees, Trees, Trees, TREES, OMG I CAN COUNT THE LEAVES, TREES, THAT'S IT WE ARE GOING TO DIE A FIREY DEATH CRASHING INTO THE FOREST, oh there's the runway.

So I think there may be some space around the airport.

Target of 500k new immigrants by 2025, Trudeaus answer to housing is immigrants will build their own houses, or to that effect. We are already short housing.

Target of 500k new immigrants by 2025, Trudeaus answer to housing is immigrants will build their own houses, or to that effect. We are already short housing.
We’re also short labour and you can’t have it both ways.

As I recall as self-loading cargo traveling to Stanfield multiple times, the airport approach is basically trees, trees, Trees, Trees, TREES, OMG I CAN COUNT THE LEAVES, TREES, THAT'S IT WE ARE GOING TO DIE A FIREY DEATH CRASHING INTO THE FOREST, oh there's the runway.

So I think there may be some space around the airport

There’s all kinds of airspace and space…but it is an international airport. Maybe not the best location for pounding the circuit on PPFs and doing parachuting and streamers and stuff.

Wainwright is a training centre; Edmonton houses units has no training area (well nearly). It’s standard to drive to wainwright to conduct most training and it’s workable.

Shilo is very isolated, having just been posted here “25 minutes to Brandon” sounds great until you realize your out of milk / butter / eggs and the canex closed at 5 pm because it’s Wednesday. Oh and you’d love to go have a beer and watch the game at the pub but there isn’t one for 30 minutes around you and the mess is open one day a week.
I remember when they closed Kapyong Barracks and the howls from the troops about not being able to see the RWB. I figured Brandon’s ballet at the Keystone would be more to the infantry’s liking!😉

We’re also short labour and you can’t have it both ways.
Are we short labour or are people just not willing to do shit jobs for 16 dollars an hour ? Look back to last summers air travel crisis when airlines claimed they couldn’t hire enough luggage handlers. They were offering 16 dollars an hour; what a shock no one wanted to do it.

I’m sure the savings that would accrue to consolidating all East Coast LRP and MH into Greenwood would prove just as effective as the money saved with NCR consolidation to Carling………….. 🦗 🦗 🦗

Back