• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

-Navy isn’t isolated, West and East coasts in major centres. I think.
-Army has wainwright, which could be closed and relocated to Edmonton. Shilo is close enough to Brandon?
-Air Force has Cold Lake which is the biggest isolated cancer. That’s not going away with the infrastructure planned for the F-35. Greenwood could be moved to Halifax airport. Maybe?

I doubt Hfx Intl would want the air weapons stuff there.

-Navy isn’t isolated, West and East coasts in major centres. I think.
-Army has wainwright, which could be closed and relocated to Edmonton. Shilo is close enough to Brandon?
-Air Force has Cold Lake which is the biggest isolated cancer. That’s not going away with the infrastructure planned for the F-35. Greenwood could be moved to Halifax airport. Maybe?

All of which would play to the "hollowing out" of Canada as the population moves from a large number of dispersed communities to an ever shrinking number of urban centres. That, in my view, tends to promote a "colonial" mentality with each city developing an independent character with its own hinterland. The hinterlands butt up against each other and isolate the cities. The hinterlands also become prey for third parties willing to pay more attention to them than their patron cities do.

What does Canada look like with 10,000,000 km2 of land and 40,000,000 people packed into 10 cities occupying 1% of that area?

I'm not certain, but I think they've decommissioned the long runway, and the current field is about 1800m or so, well below minimums for current production 737s.

That's a shame. I too don't see a reason for both Greenwood and Shearwater to exist.

I suppose local economies and such.

I'm not certain, but I think they've decommissioned the long runway, and the current field is about 1800m or so, well below minimums for current production 737s.
According to Wikipedia DND still owns the land for the old runway 16/34 which is (was) 2,743m long. Not sure if any infrastructure was added that would prevent it from being recommissioned (if that's the correct term).

As for the Army, would there be any advantage to concentrating all three Battalions from each of the Infantry Regiments together in a single location (Edmonton/Petawawa/Valcartier)? Are there many geographic moves of personnel within the Regiments?

A valid question. OSINT satellite image (aka Google) shows the long runway (a) having large Xs painted all over it to indicate it's not serviceable, and (b) the perimeter fencing of the airfield does not include the long runway. I suspect that its not just a question of paving, but also of radars, lighting, signalling, crewing etc etc.

According to Wikipedia DND still owns the land for the old runway 16/34 which is (was) 2,743m long. Not sure if any infrastructure was added that would prevent it from being recommissioned (if that's the correct term).

As for the Army, would there be any advantage to concentrating all three Battalions from each of the Infantry Regiments together in a single location (Edmonton/Petawawa/Valcartier)? Are there many geographic moves of personnel within the Regiments?
So typically you’ll get posted out to a school, then get posted to a different Bn from there.

I think there would be advantages to having all 3 Bns of the PPCLI co located, having a Bn to support Gagetown makes some sense to me, but I’d say the bigger change would be to have the schools (Meaford and Wainwright) moved to the operational bases so we can cut down our postings / moves.

Isolated bases should just be done away with quite frankly.
Why defines an "isolated base"? Greenwood? North Bay? Gagetown? From a later post, even the 20-ish km from Borden to Barrie can be isolating if you don't have wheels. According to some, locating all bases in big cities would help recruiting. I imagine it would only cost several billion to consolidate, remediate the old bases, and pay for the transfers. At least they could save some money because provided housing shouldn't be needed.

So typically you’ll get posted out to a school, then get posted to a different Bn from there.

I think there would be advantages to having all 3 Bns of the PPCLI co located, having a Bn to support Gagetown makes some sense to me, but I’d say the bigger change would be to have the schools (Meaford and Wainwright) moved to the operational bases so we can cut down our postings / moves.
Possibly also stream Infantry members into Light or Mech trades with Anglo Mech Infantry all in Edmonton, Franco Mech all in Valcartier and Light Infantry all in Petawawa?

Why defines an "isolated base"? Greenwood? North Bay? Gagetown? From a later post, even the 20-ish km from Borden to Barrie can be isolating if you don't have wheels. According to some, locating all bases in big cities would help recruiting. I imagine it would only cost several billion to consolidate, remediate the old bases, and pay for the transfers. At least they could save some money because provided housing shouldn't be needed.
For locations like Borden, Gagetown, etc. a good, subsidized public transit system and expanded on base housing would be a lot cheaper than relocating the bases. Places like Cold Lake that aren't close to at least a medium-sized centre are a more difficult issue.

Why defines an "isolated base"? Greenwood? North Bay? Gagetown?
None of the above. This document details the Isolated Posts, which receive extra allowances:

Table to CBI 11.2.03​

Isolated PostEnvironment ClassificationLiving Cost DifferentialFuel and Utilities Differential
Alert, NU5Sans objetSans objet
Chevery, QC33Sans objet
Goose Bay, NL31Sans objet
Inukjuak, QCFootnote 14911 (01.10.20)
Iqaluit, NU41115
Kuujjuaq, QCFootnote 141114 (01.10.20)
Masset, BC32Sans objet
Puvirnituq, QCFootnote 14912 (01.10.20)
Quaqtaq, QCFootnote 141314 (01.10.20)
Salluit, QCFootnote 141112 (01.10.20)
Whitehorse, YT1Sans objet12
Yellowknife, NT1230

Possibly also stream Infantry members into Light or Mech trades with Anglo Mech Infantry all in Edmonton, Franco Mech all in Valcartier and Light Infantry all in Petawawa?
No, we don’t have the numbers to do that and breadth of experience is valuable.

I would say if it’s more than 40km from a population centre of 15000 it’s isolated. I would take those old bases and keep them as skeleton crew training centres. It’s less recruiting more retention, trying to keep some one in while telling them they’ll have move somewhere that will be prohibitive to their spouses career isn’t helping anyone when we can have those bases functions performed elsewhere.

Or Greenwood, Shearwater and Stanfield?

It’s much easier to conduct the trg that goes on at Greenwood in Greenwood. Not just the OTUs but things like Para drops and low level hover/confined area stuff.

There’s also the noise factor. Not sure the residents close to Shearwater would be all happy to have an operational SAR and LRP Sqn doing their business at all hours of the day and night.

Greenwood also performs other functions for other aircraft that I’m not sure are common knowledge, but there are good reasons to maintain military airfields and associated supporting pers and infrastructure.

Back